Search This Blog

Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Favorite City In America

We spent yesterday in Savannah, GA, my birthplace, with our friends -Dave and Marlene Billings and Mike and Teri Williams. We left there at 4:30 this morning to get ahead of the traffic from all those headed toward Florida for Easter weekend.

Savannah is my favorite city in America. (My favorite city outside this country is London.) On Sherman's March to the Sea, Savannah is the only city he didn't burn - because of it's beauty. Consequently, the city is filled with pre civil war colonial homes. The Spanish moss hangs off the giant Live Oak Trees as if God decorated it. (He did.) I feel nostalgic emotions when I'm in Savannah that are almost palpable. I was born in Savannah and spent much time there as a child with my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. I feel stirred every time I'm there, especially since much my family is now in heaven. It makes me think of the old song "Precious Memories" we used to sing at my great-grandmother's birthday celebration when I was a child. That's what it is for me anytime I visit Savannah.

If you get the chance to visit Savannah, you certainly will enjoy yourself. Don't miss Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House, where you'll get the best authentic southern meal you've ever eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment