Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Promises To God


For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. (2 Corinthians 1:20)


I spent years making promises to God. I would promise to read my Bible more, to pray more, and to witness more. I'd promise to sin less. My life was filled with promise after promise which I would always end up breaking. Consequently, I constantly felt like God must be disappointed with me. I just couldn't seem to get it right, no matter how hard I tried.

If I had only understood then what the Bible says about the subject, I could have saved myself a lot of stress and strain. We're never told in Scripture to promise anything to God. In fact, the Bible is full of promises that God has made to us. That's the part of grace that people find so hard to accept - it's one sided. He gives and we get. He promises and we believe. We have nothing to offer in return nor is there anything He wants or needs from us. Our only role is to believe Him.

Paul said that the promises of God are all "Yes!" in Jesus Christ. That means He is the embodiment of God's promises. What's our part? Again, Paul says it is simply to say "Amen!" That's a word which, in the southern lingo of my roots, means "ain't it the truth!" The bottom line is that there's never a need for us to promise anything. It is to the glory of God that we simply rest in the finished work of Christ and know that in Him God's promises to us have all been fulfilled.

Whatever God has promised us, we have it in Christ. We are "children of the promise" (Romans 9:8) and as "heirs of the promise" (Hebrews 6:17) we can relax and know we don't have to do anything to gain God's blessings in our lives. Everything He has ever promised to do on our behalf has been accomplished and given to us in Christ. (Ephesians 1:3)

When God got ready to enter into covenant with Abraham, Abe went to work to prepare for the ratification ceremony. (See Genesis 15) He prepared the sacrificial animals by filleting them and laying the halves on two sides with a bloody path down the middle. Normally, when two people entered into covenant together they would walk arm in arm down that bloody pathway together. In so doing, they were promising that they would each keep their part of the covenant, even if it meant shedding their last drop of blood to do it.

But when the time came for the covenant to be ratified with Abraham, God caused him to fall into a deep sleep and God walked alone down the bloody pathway. What did that mean? It meant that there was no need for Abe to make any promises. The only thing he would have ended up doing was breaking them anyway. So God walked the path alone, and in so doing, proved that He would keep the terms of the covenant for both He and Abraham. The only thing Abe had to do was believe it. When it was all said and done, Abraham did believe it and "it was counted to him for righteousness." (Romans 4:3)

That's all we have to do too. Just believe God. Legalism insists that we "do our part" by making promises to Him about how we'll do better and try harder, but grace tells us that He has done it all. We don't have to promise anything. In fact, when we do we are insinuating that the finished work of the cross wasn't enough to seal the deal (ratify the covenant) and it was. So let's rest in what He has done and give a loud and hearty "Amen!" to Jesus. That and that alone is what brings the highest glory to God.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time this side of my Grace revelation that I heard about the God/Abraham covenant. I reveled in the truth displayed through this scripture that God is the one Who makes and keeps the covenant with His children.

    But I did not see until reading your blog the revelance of what Abraham was doing at the time. God caused him to go into a deep sleep. It is the same with us. While God is doing His thing in and through us, the only thing for us to do is rest in Him. Pretty cool.

    God bless you and your ministry. People are desperate for the truth.

    Debbie Seagroves

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter told me of your website. I read two items and already I have been so blessed. Thank you for allowing me to post to this blog. Perhaps in some small way I am witnessing to the love of God for me, His great providence and love for me.

    Promises to God. You reminded me of something I need to be reminded of. I wish all Christians could see this post of yours. Once during one of those t hard times in my life, I promised God if it ever ended I would pray ten percent of my time daily, as well as read the Bible. I would not try to be funny ever again, or be sarcastic, and I would keep my troubles to myself. When the hard time let up some, I was pretty mad, and I could not keep my promises. Not due to mental or physical inability, I simply could not. I had always shied away from promises due to the Lord's saying "Take no
    Thought of tomorrow", and
    "Swear not at all". This
    promise, I realize, was trying to bribe God's love and providence, which I already had.

    Not everything that happens in this life is God's will. He states "It
    is not God's will that any should perish", yet they do. The Bible states the gates of Hell has been enlarged. It is not God's
    will. People perish because they choose to not believe in God and Jesus Christ. It is not His will.


    God has no need of us. What could we do to repay Him for the Gift of Salvation. What could we promise Him. Isn't it an insult to even think of it.We are like the hole in the bucket of water which is left when you pull your hand out. On the other hand, isn't it wonderful that so great a God, so big a God would love us enough to send His Son for us. Doesn't it make you want to serve Him. Doesn't this make you want to sing, pray, read His word,
    try to witness however, and offer up hymns of praise. Doesn't it make you want to pray for people? Merely from gratitude, from love of being redeemed. Isn't it better to praise of Love than coercion or duty bound promises we cannot keep.

    It is like salvation, this great Love for us. When we have repented, believed, it is a done deal. We do not need to open the gift if we do not want to. It is ours. However, no one I knew refused to open this done deal. We can never know what all someone has done for the Lord with His gift.
    We see through a glass darkly about everything.

    ReplyDelete