Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Home From Melbourne

I arrived home on Thursday after a 26 hour trip, worn out but thankful for a wonderful time in Australia. I still haven't adapted back to Eastern Standard Time yet. For the past two days I've become very sleepy in the afternoon and woke up early in the mornings. Since it's a weekend, it's not a problem. Hopefully by Monday, I'll be back on track with the change in time.

I don't know when I've enjoyed being with people anymore than I enjoyed the two pastors there who hosted the conference. Silas Issa and Robert Albano were gracious hosts and their congregations were so responsive that they nearly "preached me to death." I also enjoyed the time with my friend, David Billings, who traveled with me and shared his own grace walk story both in public and one on one while we were there.

I was struck by how diverse the ethnic culture is in Melbourne. There are Christians in both of the churches we attended from all over the world. Apart from the conference, one highlight for me was to share an authentic Lebanese meal in the home of a dear Lebanese couple. I'd never eaten Lebanese food but am determined now to find a restaurant here who serves that food. Another highlight was when Rob took Dave and me to see kangaroos in a national park area. I climbed the fence and got as close to them as I dared.

The people in Australia were very friendly, both inside and outside the church. Plans are to return there in 2010, when we hope to speak at conferences in a number of cities around the country.

Thanks to each of you who prayed for the meetings there.

3 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with this post, Steve, but I wanted to thank you so much for the Grace Walk Groups! I found one in my town of Rock Hill, South Carolina on GraceWalk.org that is literally just down the road from my house. I am so excited to call about it tomorrow!

    I never thought anyone in my town understood the Grace of God in truth. Thanks so much, Steve!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Matthew! I'm so glad you've connected with other grace walkers through the Grace Walk Groups ministry :) Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first night with the group was great! Butch and Decima Morrison host the group and they are very warm, kind and hospitable. I felt very comfortable in their home. It was so great to finally be around like-minded believers who understand the message. Thanks again for starting the groups. They are a huge blessing.

    ReplyDelete