Search This Blog

Monday, September 01, 2008

From Canada

I spoke three times yesterday at Niagara Celebration Church and Toronto Celebration Church. It’s always a pleasure to speak in places where the congregations are already grounded in the truths of grace and identity.

I spoke on the topics “The Greatest Sin of the Modern Church: Self Righteousness” and “It’s Been Jesus All The Way.” The first message was the seed for the blog article below:

Decadent Sins of Dedicated Saints

For years I lived a lifestyle of decadent sin. I was a pastor who could not find freedom from my sin. I didn’t want to be free. In fact, I didn’t even know I was living deep in sin. What did my lifestyle look like then?

I would arise early, very early in the morning to read my Bible. I believed that the earlier I got into the Bible, the more pleased God would be with me and the more I would be blessed. “Early will I seek thee” was the verse I would think of at times when I was up at five in the morning, pouring over the Scriptures.

Sometimes I would pray for extended periods of time. Once I went into my office to pray on Sunday night and didn’t come out until Wednesday afternoon. I wanted “power from on high” the way I’d read that people like Charles Finney and E.M. Bounds had known because of their great prayer lives. I just knew that if I “paid the price” in prayer I could have the same power.

I would evangelize anything that moved. Being a soul-winner was what I lived for. One time I decided that I wouldn’t eat until I led somebody to Christ. After three days, I got a young boy on a bike at the park to pray “the sinner’s prayer.” I knew God had to be pleased with me when He saw my commitment to witnessing for Him.

Hideous. Vile. Enslaving. Sad. Those are the adjectives that would describe that lifestyle of sin in which I was trapped. Religious sins can be the most addictive and the most destructive.

Does this description of my sinful lifestyle surprise you? You may disagree or you may be confused and wonder, “What’s he saying? I don’t understand. Is he saying that his sins were reading the Bible, praying and witnessing to others?” Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying and here’s why: It wasn’t what I was doing that caused it to be sin. It was why I was doing it. I did these things to become more holy, to make spiritual progress, to see God’s blessings in my life.

To do anything in an attempt to make ourselves more holy or to earn God’s blessings is a sin because it denies the finished work of Jesus on the cross. The fact is that God blesses us because of what Christ has done on our behalf, not because of anything we do. We all get that when it comes to salvation, so why do we so easily miss it when it comes to sanctification?

Every blessing you have in life is because of His grace, not your works. Remember, I said that I thought if I paid the price, I would be blessed and make spiritual progress. That is not why we are blessed. We are blessed because Jesus has already paid the price! We can’t earn anything from God and don’t need to because Jesus has already done everything necessary and we’ve been given everything we need. (See Ephesians 1:3, Romans 1:30, Romans 5:17)

So, my religious activities were sin because they reflected my belief that the finished work of Christ was not enough for my sanctification and that I had to add something to what He did in order to become more holy or to be blessed. The Bible says, “Whatever is not of faith is sin.” That’s true even if it’s reading the Bible, praying or evangelizing. When we don’t do those things as an outflow of faith in Christ, but because we’re trying to earn merits with Him, we’re sinning. That kind of self-effort can only produce one thing: self-righteousness The righteousness of God comes to us apart from the works of the Law. The Apostle Paul said that it is not to him that works, but to the one that believes.

Do you see the point? What I was doing was wrong because of why I was doing it. Anything we do to earn something from God insults what Jesus did on the cross because what He did is enough and if we deny that by our actions, what else can it be called than “sin?” Sin is missing the mark and we never miss it more than we’re trying to work our way into something (righteousness) that He has already provided as a free gift.

Self-righteousness doesn’t always look smug and condescending toward others. It exists anytime we rely on self-effort to become righteous. Sometimes that can look spiritual to other people or even to ourselves. That’s why self-righteousness is such an insidious sin. It’s stealth in the modern church and only God’s Spirit can reveal it to us in our own lives.

May the Holy Spirit deliver us from self-righteousness that we try to achieve by what we do and cause us to understand Christ’s righteousness, that can never be achieved but can only be received by faith.

. . . I’m in the Toronto airport as I write this, about to leave for Winnipeg where I’ll record five TV programs tomorrow. Thanks for checking in on my blog today.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I think you just described the Christian life so many think is "normal." Striving, straining and trying harder to be righteous by behavior (instead of knowing by their spiritual birth they already are.) Someone (maybe it was you?) once said, "It's like they're trying to get into a room they're already in."

    I was that way for nearly 40 years!
    Thank the Lord for your ministry that touched my life and showed me what authentic Christianity truly is.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Steve,
    I'm so delighted to hear your messages up there in Canada have gone well and were well received. From the titles of them, they sound excellent.

    Ah...I can understand...at least to a certain extent, what you shared in this blog. I worked as a secretary for a pastor in one of the nations largest mega-churches. I guess you can say I saw the workings of the staff "behind the scenes." Bless all of their hearts, they all were/are good people. Yet, I also saw the inner struggle some went through with trying to maintain a "good Christian leader" demeanor. Underlying it all was self-righteousness. Heck, just as a member, we shared a similar struggle under the girds of Religion, too. Being a Pharisee wasn't fun. And little did I know that I was actually sinning.

    I'm so glad I...and you...and thousands of others have been, are being, and will see the Light, and step out of the Darkness.

    Amen to what you said here:
    "Religious sins can be the most addictive and the most destructive."
    AND
    "It wasn’t what I was doing that caused it to be sin. It was why I was doing it. I did these things to become more holy, to make spiritual progress, to see God’s blessings in my life."

    Yep, the MOTIVES within our hearts for WHY we do things is what matters.

    Amen! May the Holy Spirit continue to deliver me from self-righteousness thoughts, motives and actions that I may try to do or achieve.

    Thank you, again, for all your excellent blogs.

    Blessings,
    ~Amy :)
    http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Here's a passage I read in my devotional today that may tie in with your blog:

    1 Corinthians 3:10-15:
    10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
    11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
    13Each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.
    14If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
    15If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

    Steve, you can correct me if my theology is flawed, but it appears to me that any self-effort on my part will be burned up at the Judgment Seat of Christ. I know in my past, I have been involved in some ministry to attempt to gain God's blessing, or to obtain the approval of others. My "foundation" was wrong; it wasn't the life of Christ flowing through me which animated my actions, but rather my own flesh.

    Just wanted to share this, as it seemed to tie in . . .

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve
    You have just described the Christian life i lived for 40 years.
    I tried harder every day and only was discouraged because i failed.

    Thank the Lord Steve for ever giving you this ministry to pass unto others, I thank the Lord that i ever came across it, as it has thrilled my soul

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  9. My whole christian life has been as you've described in todays blog. Yes, I enjoyed the fellowship with the Spirit. But I thought I had to do all sorts of things - actually live by the teachings of the whole Bible, in some way or the other.

    Early on, I developed mental problems because of this religious ratrace. Yes, there's other factors to why my nerves broke down. But I see more and more clearly that legalism was one of the main sources to my inner pain.

    Can you believe it? Chrisianity leading to a mental breakdown!

    It has taken me years to get to the point where I am today. I've read two of your books in the Grace-series. It really helped me a lot and set me on the right track.

    Even when I was in therapy, I knew that religion was part of my problem. Sadly, most therapists don't see how religion can break down a person completely, erasing the very thoughts and feelings that is us. Religion - not Jesus! Big difference!

    Today, when I feel a bit legalistic, I tend to shrink and feel in bondage. When I'm not in this modus, when I feel I'm under grace, life is fun and enjoyable.

    It's going to take som time to drive the legalism out of the system. The process is enjoyable, because I've descovered the source of my problems. A healthier mind is the result. A more natural way of thinking and conducting my life.

    A lot of I's in this comment. But hey, it's a testimony!

    Jesus IS my life. It's slowly but surely sinking in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve,can I ask you the following?Let's assume someone is not seeking God's love,favour or blessing by what they do-they know they are accepted on the basis of Christ's finished work,where they've received a full and free pardon of all their sins,and the gift of imputed righteousness. And that's the character of their walk. How do the commands to'make every effort',endeavoring with all diligence/discipline etc look like for that person? When in sanctification (insofar as it refers to our progressive growth)we are certainly involved? Because Paul gave many commands that clearly people were to heed-as well as referring to church discipline. And then there was his teaching that all scripture was profitable for doctrine,reproof,instruction in righteousness,etc. I hope you can help me with this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great question, Phillip. Here's the key and you'll find yourself sharing it with people again and again. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT WE ARE PASSIVE. What we are saying is that we yield ourselves to the Spirit of Christ inside us and trust Him to empower us to do the things you've mentioned.

    The commands of the NT can be read either through the lens of legalism or grace. When we read them as laws, we see them as things we OUGHT to do, but when we see them through our grace eyes, we see them as wonderful and exciting things we GET to do in response to our Father's love for us.

    I think it was in "Grace Walk" that I wrote about "Commandments and The New Testament." Don't remember exactly where, but that was the heading for the section that addresses it.

    The bottom line is that we do keep His commandments, but they're not a burden to us. We WANT to keep them and we do it by His indwelling power.

    Do others of you have thoughts on this that might be helpful too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Philip:

    I do not have the english bible (I'm from Norway), so I have to translate from my memory: Paul says that we shold work on our salvation with fear and trembling. Let's say this verse incapsulates all his teachings that pertains to good behavior. What says the next verse? For it is God who works in us both to will and to work for his glory. It isn't "us" - it's God in us! God's love now has a mind and body to live through - us! We are God's walking talking love!

    The fact that we want to talk to our heavenly Father, spread the Gospel, help someone, be a good friend, treat our family nice, read in the Bible - it's God working in us!

    Pauls letters were guidelines - truly inspired by the Spirit - showing us how love looks like in real life walk. The law of Christ. But his words aren't meant to be taken as "laws carved in stone" - please understand where I'm coming from. That becomes very clear when he sometimes says "This is my opininon". Opininon isn't a law. His teachings on who we are in Christ, and that Christ is in us, is revelation.

    We chrisians have only one law - love one another. But even this law is meant to be lived in the love that the Spirit gives.

    And when we let the love of the Spirit flow through us, we want to treat each other the way Paul teaches. We want to tell unbelievers of our dear friend Jesus. We want to spend time with Him.

    Christ in us is active! If we look at our own life, it's amacing to see that the Spirit encourages us again and again to take up the Bible and other things. We often think of it as "us inspiring us". But it's the Spirit!

    The Spirit takes us on a journey in the Scriptures, revealing Christ hidden in the OT, and Christ revealed in the NT. That very active Christ is now alive in us.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks,Steve and Werner(from here in the UK). Are you then saying, Steve,that-in contrast to some reformed folk who who say that we are to live a 'gospel-driven life',while yet under law as duty-which we are to do out of gratitude...-we are not under duty at all? I.e'all things are lawful'-but,because of our new natures and the indwelling Christ-that doesn't mean 'all things are expedient'?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Philip - I'd say that you've summed it up well. The "duties" of the Christian walk become a delight when we are overwhelmed by the love of our Father. We WANT to do the things that glorify him. Do we have duties? Hmm...I suppose it could be argued that we do, but I get nervous when people force them into the "ought to" category because when we walk in grace we don't see them as fitting in that category.

    For instance, do I a duty in terms of showing love to my wife, children, and grandchildren? I suppose anybody would say that I indeed do, but it sure doesn't seem like "duty" to me since I love my family and am driven by that love not a sense of obligation.

    In my opinion, some people overemphasize our "duty" because they don't fully understand how all that becomes a moot point when we really understand and receive God's love. Once we learn how much he loves us and embrace it, "the love of Christ compels us" and we do "keep His commandments and they are not burdensome."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks. I guess a la Rom7v1-6 that a love that works by faith is the only dynamic that fulfills/'fills up' all righteousness',and it only works in the realm of 'no law obligations'. God didn't give the Spirit to help people keep the law,he gave Him so that they might serve in a new and living way that bears genuine fruit to God. Therefore,we are totally free,and totally slaves to Christ in that freedom...two more things...one thing I think may help us is clarification on what is meant by 'law'. I know Paul is meaning us to catch the wider sense of a performance system,but in it's immediate sense he means the Mosaic code that was given to Israel only,doesn't he?So for example,as John Reisinger says on Gal3,4-this passage is referring to the redemptive-historical when it tells us 'the (Mosaic) Law was a tutor to lead us(Jewish believers under in the Old Covenant era)to Christ'(New Covenant era)-and then proceeds to contrast the situation of being heirs in waiting( Jewish believers under the bondage of the law)with that of having the privileges of sons,as heirs who've come into their inheritance, under the freedom of the New Covenant. Rather than referring to a personal situation where a kind of transcendent moral law of demand co-exists in parallel with the New Covenant. May be this helps us to live under grace. And also,to quit preaching law for conversion...lastly,can you allay my nervousness concerning a Keswick-sounding thing that seems to make sanctification voluntary,rather than certain?.. I can talk about these things in this kind of language,but I long to experience a freedom and release. Maybe I'm trying to feel it rather than trust it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steve: I'm SO glad you posted this. I've suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder AND legalism. My OCD manifests itself around spiritual matters in that I feel extreme guilt that everything I enjoy that is secular is: 1) either sin or 2) an idol and, until I give up these things, which most would consider relatively neutral, God will not answer my prayers or will withhold blessings.

    I've experienced the loss of both my husband and my mom within 18 months of each other, and you cannot imagine the amount of self-blame I'm going through. In addition to profound grief, I am torturing myself with guilt that "I will never know if these losses could have been averted" because I did not "give up" my secular interests. I'm working through them with a therapist who happens to be a Christian but, thankfully, not a legalist. This post just reinforces what he has told me. I thank you SO much for putting it on your blog. Kath

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kath, I pray that you'll experience freedom as you grow in the truth of your Father's absolute and UNCONDITIONAL love for you. The idea that the death of your loved ones is due, in any way, to any shortcoming on your part is an attempt from the enemy to keep you in bondage. May you enjoy the freedom you long to know.

    If you'll email me with your address, I'd like to send you a copy of my book, "A Divine Invitation" as a gift. It stresses the Father's love for us and I believe may encourage you.

    ReplyDelete