Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Schizophrenic God?

I grew up with a belief that I now think may border on, if not be, outright heresy. My view of God was skewed at best and totally anti-biblical at worst. The issue revolved around the character of the Godhead. Somehow I developed a mentality that left me seeing God the Father as an angry God whose justice and holiness were screaming for my destruction. He hated sin and since that happened to be the thing I did best, I was in big trouble. I was indeed a sinner in the hand of an angry God. I basically felt like He had one last nerve and I was about to get on it. I envisioned God the Father as watching me carefully, scrutinizing everything I did and not happy about what He saw most of the time.

Then there was Jesus. In my mind, He loved me and didn't want to see me get the brunt of God's anger. That's why He came to earth - to live perfectly and then go to the cross to take the beating that would have been mine. On the one hand, I had always been taught that God loved me and that was why He sent Jesus. On the other, I believed that God callously stood there and watched His own Son die an agonizing death that should have been mine. Somehow it didn't add up to me. God loves Jesus. God loves me. So He torments Jesus so He won't have to torment me???? Umm...so does He love me more than He loved Jesus? Is He schizophrenic with some kind of split personality? I knew I'd been told that He loved me but it didn't make sense. Something's not right here...but after awhile you just learn not to question.

I realize now that the weakness in my understanding came fairly close to what's called a tritheistic heresy. Tritheism teaches that there are three distinct Gods who form a triad. It focuses on the "three" but ignores the "three in one" aspect of the Trinity.

Here's the bottom line: The whole Trinity feel and have always felt the same about you and me. It's not a good-cop/bad-cop scenario in heaven where Jesus keeps God the Father calmed down about us by constantly reminding Him of the scars on His hands. The work on the cross was the work of the entire Trinity - not just the Son.

"God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself" wrote the Apostle Paul. He wasn't sitting up in heaven, disconnected from the work of the cross. The incarnation of Emmanuel is the eternal reminder of "God with us." Within the humanity of God the Son, the divine love of God the Father was shown by the power of God the Spirit. Like many aspects of Deity, it is a mystery to man how it could all fit together. The point is that we don't have a divided Trinity in which One is constantly on edge about our behavior while the Other keeps Him calmed down.

The Father, Son and Spirit adore you. He lives in you and is with you in every circumstance of life. Divine life is being played out through our humanity every day - in our work, our homes, our play. The Triune God of all things loves you passionately. There's no danger of anger toward you. It's all good because He is all good.

For years, this viewpoint would have made me nervous and filled me with a myriad of "Yeah, but what about ...." questions. I still have unanswered questions today, but one thing I don't question is that we are loved -- more loved than we could ever imagine and nothing or nobody can ever change that.

5 comments:

  1. I loooove this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the Triune God loves unconditionally. I also like that He punishes wrongdoing but we take advantage some that it's not swift judgment ofttimes. But love is what we crave, adore, Divine life played out in our nitty gritty. Universalism is a heresy but we aren't God to presume His mercy is not unreachable to everyone at some point in their life. I pray for salvation for my family and the evangel Gospel be spread by vineyard workers. God became a man for God so loved the world that HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON THAT WHOSOEVER believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases..no schizophrenia in God. These are my deep thoughts on God's plots and plans. Excellent blog Steve. David Candel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had problems with my own tritheistic view of God without the three in one also Steve. Perhaps a sigh of relief from yourself is in order because that was a major hurdle in my athletic and spiritual race of faith growing up. Have you seen the movie "doubt"? It is entertaining as it is cathartic what the religious system does to grieve and create grief in others over projections of guilt, real spiritual abuse, and in inequalities of position and wealth in urstwhile earnest people trying to grow. May God help us to the mind of Christ always and grace walk. Religion doesn't cut the mustard but authentic genuine relationship does. Great thoughts you had Steve. To God be the glory it's not about us but He Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve
    My past delusion of God was no different then yours and my belief today is very similar to what you have written. There is a reality of Father, Son and Holy Spirit who is love that has come and humanity is part whether they believe it or not. It is God who believes in humanity for He loved us first. Will humanity change their mind and believe from His faith? For myself I am in constant change, for I just cannot see it clearly. jg

    ReplyDelete
  5. We pray for mercy but thank God mercy triumphs and God poured all His judgment of sin and sins on His Son! I nailed Him to the Cross with my sins. But praise God they can't keep a good man down and He Arose! Good men are mistreated in doing right but because sin is not punished immediately the wicked seem to prosper. David turned to write Psalm 73 and proved the Character of God trustworthy as He entered the Sanctuary of God he saw their end. God is good! God is love! Dave C

    ReplyDelete