Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Are Grace Walkers Anti-Church?

Speaking out against the dead religion that exists in the modern church world lends itself to misunderstanding and criticism. When a person is in a rules-focused, performance-based, man-centered, self-serving institutional church that is more interested in using than in building up people, could anybody call that an authentic New Testament congregation? The fact is that it is a counterfeit, a caricature of the true church of Jesus Christ.

Sadly, that's the kind of congregation where some people have spent their lives. They've only seen manipulative, guilt-based, religious church life and think that's normal. They don't know any other way. So along comes those who teach grace, speaking against dead religion with all of its subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle perversions of what God's church really is and the lifelong legalistic church-attending victim of the counterfeit church thinks the grace walkers are speaking against God's church. After all, to them it sounds just like their church.

The things spoken against describe their congregation to a tee so, to them, you must be against the church. It's next to impossible not to be misunderstood at times. Without speaking plainly and pointedly, people don't get the point. Speak plainly and pointedly and they think you're being ungracious.

The Apostle Paul ran into the same problem. When he plainly taught that all our sins are already covered by God's grace, some accused him of being soft on sin. They said he was teaching that sin didn't matter. (I've heard that one before too.) Paul mentioned it in Romans 3:8: "And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), 'Let us do evil that good may come?'"

Paul's accusers either heard him wrongly or else were simply trying to discredit him with their commentary on what he taught and believed. It's a hard situation, even if you're the Apostle Paul. Try to be nice in how you say it and they won't get the point. Say it plainly and run the risk of being misunderstood. What's a man to do?

So - back to the church. Are grace-walkers against the church? I've been accused of sounding at times like I'm against the church. Nothing could be further from the truth. I love the church. The Bible says that "Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it." Why would anybody who understands God's grace not love the church?

What I don't love is the religious garbage that has been dumped into the church by the enemy of our souls. Satan has infiltrated the church through legalism more than any sin you could imagine. And I hate what I constantly see because of that.

I think of the girl I met who had recently tried to commit suicide because her church had shamed her to the point she had come to feel that she could never be a good Christian.

I think of the pastor whose Bible school expelled him in his senior year during the week of final exams because his wife left him for another man. The school's response was, "If you can't govern your own home, how could you ever lead the house of God?"

I think of the lady who, this very week that I write this, was shamed by her Sunday School teacher for sitting at the table with a gay man who had come to the church for a luncheon. "He'll think you're condoning his lifestyle," she was told.

The list could go on and on. To see this kind of abuse happening in the religious world of the modern church stirs me deeply. It angers me and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Yes, I love the church but I am filled with contempt for the legalistic abuses I hear about and see going on somewhere in the church world almost every week of my life.

So I speak against it and I will continue to speak against it. I know there are well meaning people who think that grace requires we just "make nice" with everybody, but I don't agree. Grace motivates us to act in the most loving way and sometimes acting that way may come across as harsh, though its intent is to save a life.

I'm not anti-church nor are any grace-walkers I know, but I am against the cancer that is destroying the church. There is a world of believers who are being beaten up and spiritually abused every week by sanctimonious godzis who believe their role is to condemn then control everybody with whom they have influence. It's wrong. Whether it's a Bible College Dean, a pastor, a Sunday School teacher, or whomever -- it's wrong. And what's more wrong is for those who understand the true grace and love of the Lord Jesus Christ to idly sit by without saying a word or doing a thing while the children of God are being abused.

If you're in an authentic grace-based, Christ-centered congregation, then thank God for it, but know this: Many aren't - and they need to be helped.

12 comments:

  1. AMEN! Thank you for your fearless sharing of Truth Steve.
    Katy Pistole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you really do know how right you are. I'm still trying to believe, that I'm loved, excepted,and that I don't deserve to be treated badly, that it is not God's way of breaking me (in a good way of course). My mind just whorls in confusion some times. I've got your books, and I just keep rereading them, the thousand pounds is getting a lighter all the time. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Steve, you voice very accurately what many of us think. It is very comforting to know that I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good words Steve!

    I recommend a good book that this post reminds me of : " The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" by Jeff VanVondervan and David Johnson - a great book - a summary can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/3658/subtle.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Steve, legalisms do impact us to sin and thank God for your pointing out to us GRACE.. in the whole other direction to walk: 1)in love 2)as God's children 3)in a worthy vocation in/of deciding for and allowing that belief of grace from Jesus Christ to transform us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! No, we aren't anti-church! We are "church"! We just aren't anti-Christ (or anti-Grace).

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Steve. Just yesterday my wife and I were discussing this very issue, since we are currently searching for God's direction in where He wants us to minister next. The "godzies" have a huge hold on the churches in our area. Maybe we just need to be the grace missionaries to the church. I don't know. I ask for your and other's prayers for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:36 AM

    Sanctimonious Godzi's....I'm writing that one down !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The biggest reason that people can't comprehend grace is because they are taught that they are Israel. Nobody is preaching what the Bible says, but what their denomination believes and is preaching from that literature. Will you hear them preaching that Paul said he was the apostle of the gentiles. It's in the Bible. Or that Jesus was a minister of the circumcision (in there also). Jesus even preached the law. He came specifically for His people to fulfil the promises made unto the fathers (Israel). This is all prophesy but there was something He kept secret since the world began and that was the dispensation of the grace of God. Paul was given the grace message not given to anyone else and if you don't see the distinction and see there are two different programs going on in scripture, then no wonder people are confused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,

    Great post! I'm a grace-walker and LOVE the church...I just long for her to walk in Christ, full of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. through your website gracewalk and your book GraceWalk Experience i am unlearning a lot of reigious learning that i was brought up with for many many years. i am 62 years old and i am just now beiginning to learn of my freedom in Christ. Just like Heather says, a thousand pound weight is being taken off of me little by little. i can even smile at myself now when i look in the mirror without being burdened down with religion and the do's and don'ts. i believe the depression i've had all my life is being lifted !!!! i thank our Lord for you. Agnes

    ReplyDelete