Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Problem With Rededication

Perhaps more than any other challenge I gave people during my years of legalistic teaching in the church was that they should rededicate themselves to Christ. I believed that the need we all have is to try harder, to be more sincere and more zealous in our efforts to live for Jesus Christ. I rededicated myself until I felt worn out from it at times.

Rededication isn’t the grace way. The real answer to a sense of need in our walk with God isn’t to promise Him that we’ll try harder. That’s true even though we may ask for His help when we rededicate ourselves. Although many are sincere in rededicating themselves to Christ, it’s a wrong approach to the desire to be more consistent in our commitment to Him.

The problem with rededicating ourselves to Christ is self, which is really just another word for the self-sufficiency of the flesh. The essence of religious flesh, as strange as it might seem, is our attempt at trying to live the Christian life. That is what actually prevents us from living the Christian life. In fact, the harder we try, the greater the likelihood that we won’t succeed because victory in the Christian life doesn’t come by trying. It comes by trusting.

Self-determination, self-discipline, self-sufficiency – those are what stand in the way. Jesus is the way to victory in your grace walk. He said, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” Note His words in that statement. What did He say we are to do in regard to our self-life? Dedicate ourselves to Him? No, He said that we are to deny self.

Rededicating ourselves to try harder, then, isn’t the answer. It doesn’t matter how sincere we might be. It simply won’t work. The answer is to trust Him. That’s the only cure for an unstable, up and down sort of spiritual experience.

You won’t ever live a victorious Christian life by rededicating yourself to God, and telling him you’re going to try harder to do a better job. Instead, we must come to the end of ourselves - our self-life. We need to say, “Lord, it’s not just hard for me to live a life that honors you, it is impossible for me to do it. So I will stop trying and just trust you. You are my life, now Lord Jesus, live your life through me.”

We didn't become a Christian by revving up our religious rpm's and trying to make progress toward entering God's kingdom by what we did. Instead, we came to the place where we realized there was nothing we could do to get into a right standing with God. Nothing has changed in that regard now that you are a Christian.

In the same way, now we are to simply acknowledge that, no matter how hard we might try, there is actually nothing we can do to make ourselves stronger. Just like when we were saved, we have to come to Him in faith and total dependence that He will be the One who does what needs to be done; and He will.

The Apostle Paul said, "As you have entered the Lord Jesus Christ, so walk in Him." We continue the walk in the same way we started it -- by grace through faith. The answer to a sense that we are weak in our commitment to Him is to trust in His grace and know that He is committed to us. The one who has begun a good work in you will finish what He has started. Just trust Him, knowing it's not up to you and how hard you try. Faith is the key. That's all it takes.

(This blog is an excerpt from the 101 Lies Taught In Church manuscript I'm working on now.)

10 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I also put "revival" in this category of religious flesh, of self-effort. Growing up in the church, rededication and revival were two ways people made it known they were going to try harder. It was trying vs. trusting, as you say.
    Great message!
    Mark
    P.S. Can't wait for the book---Did you settle on a title yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark - that's another one that will be in the book. 101 are too many for one book. I decided to stick with 52 Lies Taught In Church Every Sunday. If the first book does well, I have 52 more for a sequel. At first, I doubted myself on the title based on input from others. While I respect their opinions, I think I need to go with my gut on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Steve! I look foward to the book greatly as i enjoyed all the videos. I think the title is good - and shouldn't be controversial. There are many books in my local christian bookstore that have titles more 'provoking' than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please ensure we in Africa get to read the book by making it available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article. Most of the lies that you speak of is ignorance and believe me, I was ignorant of the Bible. I just relied on what I had "heard" and just assumed it was true. Not getting my knowledge from scripture, but from catch phrases and second hand information. A lot of the lies are even from the Bible. People taking scripture that was meant for Israel under the law instead of what we are to do as believers in the dispensation of the grace of God. We are not under a performance system like they were of if you do this then God will do this. Grace does what the law never could do. All the law does is condemn but Israel thought some how they could do it. God's grace says I know you can't do it, let me do it for you as a gift. Isn't it amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,
    Keep the title as is....it spurs thinking, and that's what most believers have quit doing. When I met Christ I didn't commit intellectual suicide...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Religious flesh is very strong sometimes and all it is is empty wind wrought with frustrating effort. Trusting abiding in His great love we can overcome an assumed need for rededication knowing Christ will perform that which concerns us. God loved us first and He will give grace to "do justice, deal kindly, and walk humbly with our God." Christ will work in us what is pleasing in His eyes if we'll "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Christ," as you said Steve. Anything of religious flesh will be obvious because it will not bring authentic good works as a true adventure in grace walk will. David Candel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rededicating is like New's Year's resolutions...all good intention, all bad reliance on self. I like this analogy: Christianity for some is like getting a new car. The problem is we think it just "pushes" easier than the old one!! :D We try and try until our rededicators wear slam out!

    {{I really liked "Mommy, Why Are the Preacher's Pants on Fire?" LOL }}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it too, Jamie, but you really want to get me assassinated, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog post was so great! So many things at church felt and sat so wrong with me but for 13 years I tried to 'get it right' all the while feeling terrible inside for not being able to conform (I believed for so long that it was MY problem).

    We have enjoyed your books and teachings so much, Steve. My husband and I have entered into a freedom in God over the past year or so that we never imagined possible. It certainly didn't come from 'trying' - it came from right believing and trusting. We don't attend a 'church' building anymore - instead, we meet with another couple or 2 once a week and marvel at how God is speaking to all of us individually and as a group.
    Can't wait to read this new book you're working on and the title is great!
    Tammy in Canada.

    7:45 PM

    ReplyDelete