Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Imagine

I’m a bonafide baby boomer. I was a teen during the late sixties and early seventies. I loved (and still do) the music of that time. Once somebody asked me, “Do you really like that drug music?” I answered, “I guess we know what you were doing during the sixties.” No, I don’t like the drug music – never did the music or the drugs. But I do like a lot of the old sixties music. It's like entering a time machine for me.

I heard a song lately that I hadn’t heard in a long time. Back in the day, many Christians called it “the atheist’s anthem.” It was Imagine by John Lennon. I thought about it and wondered if there was a way to redeem that song. Here’s my attempt: (You do know I write this article tongue-in-cheek, right?)

Imagine there’s no legalism, No struggles, no strife.
No rules to judge us, Within us only life.
Imagine all the Christians, Living really free.

Imagine grace filled churches. It isn’t hard to do
No sermons that condemn you. And no religion too.
Imagine all the pastors, Teaching grace and peace

You may say that I’m a dreamer, But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us, And know in Him, we all can live as one

Imagine no rededication. I wonder if you can
No need to make promises, To know in Him we stand
Imagine all believers, Enjoying life in Christ.

You may say that I’m a dreamer. But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us, And know in Him, we all can live as one.

John Lennon imagined a utopia that he never lived to see. The one I imagine is becoming an increasing reality as we work together to share the message of God’s amazing grace and unconditional love with people all over the world. One by one, people everywhere are understanding their identity in Christ and being set free from the performance based prison of legalism they have lived in for so long.

8 comments:

  1. Good one! :)

    Its not very nostalgic to me since I didn't get here 'til 1986, but I do enjoy the melody rather than the message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya young whipper-snapper! You missed the golden age of music and got stuck with that noisy racket that tried to pass as music :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37 PM

    First off, I didn't really appreciate the original version, as I was never (gasp) a fan of Lennon or the Beatles, but I did love the David Archuleta "Imagine" cover from AI. But I nearly wept reading your version..the words are beautiful...because its a dream we live and are seeing God bring to fruition ! Hope someone records it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lennon was born with great musical talent, another example of our Creators handiwork.
    He was given the gift to touch so many yet corrupted by carnal thought. What a passionate Christian he could have been if only he would have accepted the gift of God's grace.
    Simply changing the words converts this musical piece to being a powerful Spiritual gift of love. How sweet the sound of God inspired work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a vision I can get behind :)

    Being another young whipper-snapper (I arrived in 1982), and not really a Beatles fan either, you've redeemed the song a little bit in my eyes ;) And that is truly a beautiful goal to aim at, as opposed to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, you should get Gerardo to record it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That "peace" sign is in reallity an occult sign that symbolises a broken cross, which means to be independent of God. Just in case somebody didn´t know. But I liked what you wrote man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was what some people said when I was a teen in the 60s-70s, but I've never found any evidence that the peace sign was anything more than a hippie emblem. Where'd you get your info about its origin? I'm just curious...

    ReplyDelete