Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Have You Ever Met Somebody "More Spiritual" Than Jesus?

I know I'll probably catch some flack over this one because it's too close to home for some people. Note that what this video does is not to make fun of Christians, but to mock the hyper-religious actions of some Christians. Ridiculous, dead religion deserves to be mocked. (Think Elijah mocking Baal's prophets when they were trying to call down the fire or Paul suggesting to the Judaizers that they should just go ahead and castrate themselves.)

In my opinion, if you think this mocks Christians, you're missing the point. These sort of hyper-religious antics exist in the modern church world and insults authentic Christianity. Obviously, many believers express spiritual gifts in authentic ways, but there's a spirit of religious fanaticism that grips some people and disgraces the true work of God in His church.

To tell the truth, I just thought this video was funny. If you think so, we're on the same page. If it upsets you, oh well, there are other things you'll be upset with me about too if you knew me well. Just show me some grace. I'm not trying to offend anybody. I simply think that, for whatever reason the video was made, it does make a legitimate point.

9 comments:

  1. I think these folks must have been to my church sometime, they´re just like people I know.
    You betta´get your asbestos suit ready, tha pentecostals is coming to get you! Glory! This is hilarious, but yeah, it would offend about 99% of the people I work with (and I work with you about 1% of my time!) Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 AM

    I nearly rolled off the bed, I was laughing so hard...and how timely..as I was just asking the Lord about this very thing that we had encountered in a prayer group today. YOU ROCK !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of someone I know. I have one friend (a believer) who likes to lay hands on sick, homeless people in downtown Portland, OR and shout prayers of instant healing for them. I asked him, "Do they get healed?" He said, "It doesn't matter. Just try it sometime--it gives you a real rush, a feeling of power!" Hmmm. Sounds like showy nonsense to me, to be real honest . . . Seems like flesh, not the Spirit.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make sure again that my charismatic friends know I'm not mocking the authenticity of these type gifts. I believe in the charismata, but am totally turned off by the bizarre behavior I see some people practice in the name of spirituality. Okay, no more disclaimers from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I have sees this before. And I watch this whenever I need a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great. Aaaaaaaamen. With me, transparency is of utmost importance and hard to find in relationships with people these days. It amazes me when I see authentic transparency out of my non-christian friends~ they don't necessarily hold back in the "airing of laundry" or "confession of issues". I crave those intimate small group moments or one on one time with my fellow grace walkers...

    Last week I was at our Friday night small group and I was having a serious case of JOY. I was pacing when I was talking...I was laughing and giggly (Not quite like the girl in the video~ but pretty close!)...When I was driving home I started getting those fiery darts thrown at me, which caused me to almost second guess God's perfect presence in my life. I would love to be able to live out that JOY 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:26 AM

    "Note that what this video does is not to make fun of Christians, but to mock the hyper-religious actions of some Christians. Ridiculous, dead religion deserves to be mocked."

    I've often wondered if alot of unchurched folks have legitimate criticisms of a group of folks who profess to love God and people by their doctrine, but not by their actions. God placed a huge value on all of us and therefore sent His own son - a value that seems to be trampled under foot by ridiculous dead religion.

    I too, was amazed at the thought that the Beatles were seemingly more popular than Jesus in their day. But I often wonder if the criticism was more or less levied against the dead religion practiced in the beautiful cathedrals and synagogues of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve
    Hilarious, already sent out to some of my friends. It really shows though how relationship with Father, Son and Holy Spirit has been replaced by a goods and services mentality in the church. The lie is not what we get; it is all about what we already have in relationship. jg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:35 PM

    What is sad is the amount of preachers on t.v. who 'proclaim' the word of God but then throw out the reminder that if we donate, God will bless us even more. It is a tragedy that they are allowed to carry on ministering in this manner.

    ReplyDelete