Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Different Drummer

Living in God-given freedom will inevitably bring the scorn of the self-righteous down on you. Jesus stayed in trouble because the way He acted didn't fit the expectations of the religious crowd who thought it was their duty to police everybody else to make sure they were minding their P's & Q's. When He enjoyed a good meal and a glass of wine with friends, they called Jesus "a glutton and a drunkard." (See Luke 7:34)

When He showed loving concern for those who wouldn't exactly seem to fit in behind the stained glass, they called Him a "friend of sinners" - the old guilt by association ploy. I've even heard people twenty centuries later suggest that there may have been hanky-panky going on between Jesus and Mary Magdalene. How stupid. When He acted in the confidence of God, they accused Him of being arrogant. (See John 6:42)

Jesus described the self-righteous religious crowd by saying they were like little children who pitched a fit, shrieking out, "We played a song on our flute and you didn't dance! We sang a sad song and you didn't cry!" (See Luke 7:32)

Nothing has changed. The self-righteous today still demand that those who profess to be Christians march lockstep together like a bunch of Nazi soldiers. But that's not what you've been called to do. Those of us who follow Jesus Christ march to the beat of a Different Drummer.

They may accuse us of getting "out of line" and they're often right. We don't see ourselves as being rescued from a world of unrighteousness only to fall into a world of self-righteousness. Our grace walk isn't a lockstep march of religious robots. Ours is a dance of grace.

They can mock us if they want, but we're in a Heavenly Conga Line led by the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Sound irreverent? Only to religious ears. Those set free by grace never have and never will meet the demands of the flat-liners who secretly begrudge their monotonous, mundane march they call "the Christian life." They brood and seethe over the idea that somewhere, somebody who calls himself a Christian is having a good time. They equate freedom with sinning and to hear talk of freedom from grace walkers strikes in them images of Girls Gone Wild in the name of Christian liberty. It's sad that they just don't get it.

A friend recently told me that he met a man on an airplane who asked him if he knew me. When my friend told him he did, the man answered, "That brother is free!" I'm not sure if he meant it as an insult or a compliment, but either way he's right. I've done my time at, what my friend Paul Walsh calls, "St. Shawshanks" and thank God was finally released after serving a 29 year sentence.

Yesterday, as I visited the King Center in Atlanta with friends from California, I saw those familiar words from Martin Luther King etched on his grave: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!" That's it - and thank God, we don't have to wait until we're in heaven to be able to proclaim those words.

8 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I like that term, "St. Shawshanks." Thankfully, I left that place and I'm NEVER going back!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tasted it, and I know what you are talking about! I love freedom! With Gods help I will never return back to "St. Shawshanks" - I hate that place. By the way: P's & Q's eluded me - can you please explain what is meant by that to a foreigner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... Love it!!! :D

    Only 3 days 'til Atlanta! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ole - you don't have P's and Q's in Norway? :) Seriously, "minding your P's and Q's" means "to be very careful to do the right thing." I've heard it all my life but had to look up its origin after you asked. Check out this link for a more complete answer:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/761/whats-the-origin-of-the-expression-mind-your-ps-and-qs

    Thanks for promoting the grace walk message in the most beautiful country in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to meeting you, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't count how many times I've been told to mind my p's and q's but how rare is a refreshing word from far away. It's refreshing to know my Savior could be ever within and bound by the confidence of God. He said He could only do what He saw the Father doing. How like a cutting edge standard Jesus is to follow! Not having to be so careful to do the right thing is like an amusement park ride with wind under you; with all seriousness I say that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:04 AM

    Oooooh, Steve....c'mon now....can I get an Amen?

    The grace babies here in Wisconsin, we have a drumline going !! Bless you for that encouraging word today.....I am LOVING this grace walk....I am enjoying FREEDOM....and God is manifest here, in our ministry....I am SO thankful for the Christ-life...Liz was asking me tonight if I realized I had missed Americal Idol (she knows I'm a HUGE fan)...and I said to her, hon...I have a DVR...this is a GRACE thing...I do NOTHING...and its recorded for me !!!! : )

    JESUS !!! : D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve - Thank you for that lesson on P's and Q's. I learned something new and I am going to use it wherever I can :)

    BTW, great post!

    ReplyDelete