Search This Blog

Monday, February 09, 2009

It's Not About Us

Have you ever noticed how that when we read the Bible we try to make it be about us? The bent of the flesh toward taking the prominent place is consistent, if nothing else. Take the way we read the parables as an example.

In the story of "The Good Samaritan," what is the most common application you've heard of that passage when it has been preached? Probably what I used to teach about it - that we ought to be Good Samaritans. The point of the story, though, isn't that we ought to become something. The Good Samaritan is Jesus. We were the one who was lying on the side of the road, broken and bleeding. We were the one that religion and the Law couldn't help.

Or consider the story of the pearl of great price. Matthew 13:45-46 says, "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."

Many times it has been said that the Pearl of Great Price is Jesus and that we ought to be willing to give up everything for Him. There's one glaring problem with that application though: this pearl was bought by the one who ended up with it. Obviously, you and I didn't pay anything to have salvation through Christ. It is a free gift. On the other hand, Jesus did pay everything to have you. The amazing thing is that you are the pearl of great price. The story is about His goodness in buying us, not our goodness in seeking Him.

A similar story exists in Matthew 13:44. "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man had found, he hid it, and for the joy thereof goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field." Many have believed that Jesus is the treasure, but that doesn't fit. You are the treasure and He bought you.

Over and over again we can see how self-centered our traditional interpretations have been. One more example: We say it's the story about The Prodigal Son and that we need to come to our senses, get up and come home. The fact is that it's the Story of The Accepting Father who embraced his son without giving him a chance to make his empty promises.

We want to make the hero of the stories be ourselves, but the fact is that we're not the heroes. Jesus is. The Bible is a book that shows His greatness, not the need for us to call forth some imaginary inherent goodness we fancy ourselves having.

It's not about us. It never has been. It's all about Him and the amazing grace He has poured down on us all.

17 comments:

  1. Great post Steve!

    So refreshing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I agree with some of your interpretations there,Steve. I think we can go to far trying to make the elements all fit,when they're not allegorical but just having a simple meaning. I tend to think,for example,that the Pearl of great price is Jesus,our new Covenant. We buy him selling all we have in the sense that it said in Isaiah55v1, about coming to buy wine and milk without money and without price. It's not that we have anything to give to buy, but everything to lose in repentance. I mean,like Paul in Philippians 3, all the things that were previously in the positive column of his ledger, in principle had to go into the negative column in comparison to the glory of Christ. And they did,on receiving him in the New Covenant...as well, their certainly wasn't anything lovely about us when God determined to love us in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this called "yearbook theology" before. When we open our yearbook, the first thing we do is look for our own picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exceptional insights! Just shows how we need the Holy Spirit to teach us His Word. Thanks for sharing what He has shown you!
    K. Gray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Steve, excellent teaching! I'm excited by the 'grace message' being 'in Christ' and 'Christ in you.' By humbling ourselves under the Lord's mighty hand He lifts us up, higher and higher. But it's true, it's not about us, and the simple interpretation you've given of the parables is refreshing because it is backed by scripture in other scripture! May I go as far as to add like you: the story of the Prodigal is not about the son but the Lavish Father who loved the son even when the son got hurt (by sin and sinful practices) on into the son's turnaround 'back to his senses,' all while 'gracing' him so quick before the son could so much as say an empty promise! His love is great! His grace greater than all my sins. Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in your angle on the truth Pastor Steve McVey! God's love is such that He allows us to feel good in precious enjoyment though the attention is God's. He calls the shots. And so it's not about us but the work of grace He operates on our hearts and lives. Excellent post! Good insight! David Candel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know how refreshing it is and would be to hear such Christ centered teaching and preaching in our churches? I am so hungry for this! Didn't Jesus himself open up the scriptures to the two men on the road to Emmaus concerning HIMSELF. Thanks Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,
    I think it's to your credit when you also post comments from those who disagree with you.
    Phil, I see your points, but I have a hard time with your comparison to Paul's words in Philippians 3. The parable of the pearl in Matthew 13 talks about the one who bought salvation, and Paul in Philippians 13 is talking about self-righteous loss. Even giving up our fleshly things which may give us a level of satisfaction and prestige can't buy our salvation. Jesus was the one who purchased it.
    I think it is as Steve said in his blog---we want to make it about us.

    I'm a real amateur theologian, but those are just my thoughts.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve may well be right, Mark. On Philippians 3 though,I'm not saying Paul's repentance earned his salvation,but I am saying Paul's salvation brought that repentance,and without that, there's no genuine saving faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfull teaching. Thank you, it makes me smile and my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been musing over your interpretation of the good samaritan a couple of days. I have so far only known the usual interpretation of this passage - that I must become a better person. The other two parables (The pearl and the treasure) Joseph Prince has explained when visiting Norway. The good samaritan story has, however, remained concealed until I read your post. Logically it fits, but most important: your understanding of this passage has really encouraged me and given me rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to do a blog post on the subject, "It is not about me" It is about God. That fact has changed the way I view things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thoughts, for what they're worth. Jesus Himself gives the application of the story in Luke 10:37 - "Go and do likewise". So I can agree (and am encouraged to know and be reminded) that Jesus has loved us like the Good Samaritan loved the man who had been robbed. But I think that the force of this passage is that when changed by God's grace we want to really love others, and this love is something religion and law can't produce in us, only Jesus, by His Spirit. The man's question in Luke 10 is: Who is my neighbour? With Christ's Spirit in us, anyone and everyone in need qualifies as our neighbour - this is not to guilt-trip us for our inaction - but to envision us as to how much action (that is, love) is possible by God's grace. I certainly agree with Steve that the point is not that we "ought" to be good Samaritans. But I'd go further to say that we can (by God's grace) be Good Samaritans, because of Jesus' love lavished on us and flowing through and from us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What then do you make of Jesus own application in Luke 10:37 - "Go and do likewise"? I am encouraged, though, by your high view of Christ's love for us, like the love of the Good Samaritan for the robbed man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bluetjp - I'm certainly not trying to make a point that we don't demonstrate loving concern for others. The point I was making here is that it's about Him and what He does not about our efforts to do something. As Jesus expresses His love through us, of course we will act like the Good Samaritan because He loves and cares about people's needs and, having His nature, we will express that love and care in how we relate to others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silent Wings wrote:
    "Do you know how refreshing it is and would be to hear such Christ centered teaching and preaching in our churches? I am so hungry for this! Didn't Jesus himself open up the scriptures to the two men on the road to Emmaus concerning HIMSELF. Thanks Steve."

    I agree with silent wings comment. i too, am so hungry to hear the truth. i have asked the Lord to reveal His truth and revelation of His grace to me and i'm beginning little by little to understand now. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is this true?
    Because I am that pearl of great price, Jesus found me -I didn't find Him? Jer 29:13 says "If you look for me in earnest you will find me" But, now, because Christ is in me (or am I in Christ?) and I am the pearl of great price that Jesus purchased with His blood, then is it that He found me and not the other way around? Am i getting that straight?

    ReplyDelete