Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grace And Sin

Does teaching pure grace encourage sin in people's lives?

I've offered the following quote many times because I love it. The great Bible expositor, Martyn Lloyd Jones wrote:

The true preaching of the gospel of salvation by grace alone always leads to the possibility of this charge being brought against it. There is no better test as to whether a man is really preaching the New Testament gospel of salvation than this, that some people might misunderstand it and misinterpret it to mean that it really amounts to this, that because you are saved by grace alone it does not matter at all what you do; you can go on sinning as much as you like because it will redound all the more to the glory of grace. If my preaching and presentation of the gospel of salvation does not expose it to that misunderstanding, then it is not the gospel.

Works -- it always has been a hot topic in the church. It was the subject that triggered the revolution that led to reformation in Martin Luther’s day and it’s the subject that the growing grace revolution hinges on today, five centuries later. Despite the fact that the Apostle Paul himself said that works and grace are impossible to mix, those who speak out boldly against works-righteousness as the basis of Christian living had better be prepared for resistance. The religious world hasn’t changed since Paul’s day or, for that matter, even Luther’s day when he addressed the subject as it relates to salvation.

Some have argued that “going too far with grace” can cause people to grow lax about sin in their lives. They imagine the Summer Youth Trip at the Local Community Church turning into a “Girls Gone Wild” video. That kind of assumption is totally ungrounded in reality. It ranks right up there with “There’s a boogey-man under my bed.”

Grace doesn’t cause people to go wild in sin. That’s a ridiculous idea perpetuated by two groups of people: (1) Those who are fearful because they don’t trust the Holy Spirit inside other people to lead them and (2) those who are afraid that they will lose control over other people if they actually begin to believe this grace teaching is true.

You can’t go too far with grace. That’s like saying, “don’t go too far with Jesus.” Paul wrote in Romans 5:17 that it is by the abundance of grace that we learn how to reign in life. The real threat to the church isn’t that we will go too far with grace, but that we won’t go far enough. Paul told Titus that the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodly behavior and empowers us to live like the righteous people we are. Show me somebody who is sinning and calling it grace and I’ll show you somebody who is telling a blatant lie. They’ve embraced disgrace and have given it a slanderous new name.

Do you feel an inner defense mechanism suddenly kick in when you are told about how works aren’t the basis of the Christian life? If so, I encourage you to ask yourself why. Is it because you’re afraid that grace might cause people to become lazy or even passive? Grace won’t do that. The Apostle Paul commented on his own level of work when he said, “I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me” (1 Corinthians 15:10).

Paul was willing to put his works ethic in the Christian life up against anybody. What was it that he said gave him such a strong motivation for works? It was the grace of God at work in him. You don’t have to be afraid that grace will make people lazy. True grace never does that. To the contrary, it motivates us toward authentic righteous works as opposed to mandating artificial religious works that only masquerade as being righteous.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Steve. I can truly say that "Grace Walk" has revolutionized my life as a Christian. We are going through it now in my church small group and I use it extensively in our sex addiction recovery ministry (www.purecommunity.org).

    If you get a chance, can you comment on where spiritual disciplines fit into the grace-centered Christian life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So often when I talk about grace I get a comment such as: "Well, you can't just teach grace, or else people will run wild and be lazy."
    I usually respond with passages such as Romans 6:14 and Titus 2:11,12.

    "Performance Legalism" is something I encounter alot, and I fell for it for many years. I have found that a performance legalist is one because 99.9% of the time they don't know their identity in Christ. They see themselves as lousy, dirty sinners and so they do and do and do, thinking it will make them righteous. They don't know the truth---that they are already righteous and holy saints!

    Wonderful blog, Steve.

    Mark
    Vancouver, WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Steve

    “You can’t go too far with grace. That’s like saying, “don’t go too far with Jesus.” Paul wrote in Romans 5:17 that it is by the abundance of grace that we learn how to reign in life”

    So Romans 6: 10&11, 5:18 is connected to what you have said that He died once for sin for all. So to all, we need to consider ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus (change our mind and believe) for to all He has given the free gift of justification of life. I believe when we do not see ourselves as dead to sin we will try to work the work of God for Him in order to feel right. The question is how alive does that make us in Jesus no matter who we are? jg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace is able to keep you where sin is going to take you further than you wanted to go, make you pay more than you wanted, and make you stay further than you wanted to remain.. Knowing your identity in the Lord is like short circuiting the Al-Queda of indwelling sin before the Bin Laden of the flesh can build a base of operation. Very good terms Steve and fit like hand in gloves! Reigning in life by grace alone growing inside and outside is favor that can be radical in God's promotion to usefulness. Every excitement is found in living by grace because it sparks revolutionary paradigm and denies "Legalistic ways" any tiny foothold but instead causes worship to God until the enemies of the Lord (sin, legalism, 'dead works', & 'thoughts against God' took captive by His weaponry)to bow and become a footstool for His feet by growth in 'authentic righteous works' to serve the Living God acceptably. I enjoyed typing as much as reading those terms, Steve. We need this kind of teaching in the preachers of today. Thanks Steve for preparing us to find resistance when we speak of the grace walk. Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace is able to keep you where sin is going to take you further than you wanted to go, make you pay more than you wanted, and make you stay further than you wanted to remain.. Knowing your identity in the Lord is like short circuiting the Al-Queda of indwelling sin before the Bin Laden of the flesh can build a base of operation. Very good terms Steve and fit like hand in gloves! Reigning in life by grace alone growing inside and outside is favor that can be radical in God's promotion to usefulness. Every excitement is found in living by grace because it sparks revolutionary paradigm and denies "Legalistic ways" any tiny foothold but instead causes worship to God until the enemies of the Lord (sin, legalism, 'dead works', & 'thoughts against God' took captive by His weaponry) bow and become a footstool for His feet by growth in 'authentic righteous works' to serve the Living God acceptably. I enjoyed typing as much as reading those terms, Steve. We need this kind of teaching in the preachers of today. Thanks Steve for preparing us to find resistance when we speak of the grace walk. Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mark concerning identity. Having spent my entire life in a Baptist church, my former Assoc. Pastor LOVED the line in that great old hymn, At the Cross -

    Alas and did Saviour bleed and did my sov'reign die
    Would he devote that sacred head FOR SUCH A WORM AS I

    The only problem is that it might be that way AT the Cross, but not AFTER the Cross which is where a lot of people get stuck.

    Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. > Show me somebody who is sinning and calling it grace and I’ll show you somebody who is telling a blatant lie. They’ve embraced disgrace and have given it a slanderous new name.


    I'm not tracking with you on this...when we miss the mark of our nature (sin) we need grace all the more. Based on your statement, I am no less in disgrace than my brother for we all miss the mark of Christ's nature and walk independent of Christ's life in us at times, do we not? I am uncomfortable with measuring sin and judging performance. I am accepted and qualified based on my position of being in Christ and that doesn't change based on my performance. My experience should change based on the renewing of my mind to my new identity.

    Christians sin. They miss the mark. There is no dividing line between big and little. Does sin affect God's view of me? NO! He sees me in Christ. Sin affects my horizontal relationships and shows a lack of understanding of who I am. But to say what I DO affects the reality of who I AM?? I'm not following you.

    God tabernacles in me. I am the righteousness of God in Christ. Knowing THAT, not focusing on FLESH, allows me to walk out of the correct realm: the heavenlies.

    What we DO is not bigger than what Christ did at the cross.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. RJW - I think you've misunderstood my statement you quoted. Of course, we are still under grace when we sin. In fact, "where sin abounds, the grace of God abounds more."

    By saying that we've turned grace into disgrace, I don't mean that we move outside of God's grace. That isn't possible. The prefix "dis" means "against" not "beyond."

    Grace is the divine enablement of
    the indwelling Christ for us to be all that we've been called to be and do all that we've been called to do. So when we embrace a habitual sin and use grace as an excuse for sinful behavior, we have embraced "disgrace." In other words, we are acting against, in opposition to grace as it truly is.

    I've taught many times that we can't out-sin the grace of God. I heard somebody recently say, "God has more grace than you do sin." I agree, but to excuse sin in the name of grace misses the point of grace and is a dis(against)graceful action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frustrating grace...YES!

    Many thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete