Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Excerpt From My Writing on God's Will

Some time ago, I was reading the Bible and I noticed the words of Jesus in His final prayer before going to the cross. Although I had read these words many times before, it was as if I were seeing then for the first time. Tears filled my eyes as I read what Jesus said to His Father just hours before His death on the cross. “I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given me to do” (John 17:4). I prayed that day: “Father, that’s what I want to be able to say when I leave this world — that I’ve glorified you on the earth, and I accomplished what you gave me to do.”

While Christianity is not only about doing, we learn that as Christ lives through us, there certainly are things we will do during our lifetime to make an eternal difference. You obviously want to do those things He has planned for you or you wouldn’t be reading this book.

It’s time for you to move out in boldness. You’ve put your fears and guilt behind you now. You thought that you found security in the familiar but now you realize that your so-called security was really just a prison of doubt and fear that held you back from experiencing all that God wants you to enjoy.

You were afraid to try new things, afraid of new situations, afraid of looking foolish to other people, afraid of failing if you were to try something different from your ordinary lifestyle. You are now beginning to move forward in faith. It’s okay that you may think your faith is wobbly faith. Stepping out and moving forward is an act of boldness. What you may feel on an emotional level isn’t the criterion for measuring your boldness. Actions indicate that. Faith is verb, which points to action, not an adjective that describes feelings.

A former U. S. military leader named Grace Murray Hopper once said, “A ship in port is safe. But that’s not what ships are built for.” We were not made for “safety” as our highest value. We were made to live an adventure!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Steve
    Came across a scripture yesterday and was surprised how well it connected with your blog. today. “Examine yourself” as found in 2 Corinthians 13:5 I always thought meant self-judgment, what I was doing, so I prove that I am in faith, however when I checked into the word examine it means “refuse utterly”
    This falls wonderfully into the first part of your blog. Once we utterly refuse to walk in our own delusional unbelief, we than come to know the action faith of Jesus and learn to walk as what you described in the latter part of your blog. Thanks
    JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could somehow read all the blogs of people who are doing exactly what you're writing about here.

    Thank you for speaking Grace into our lives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted on 'meetingofone' an excerpt from T. Austin Sparks who wrote on something that ties into this post.

    I had posted before I read your posting. 'Co-incidence' ...nope...not for those found hidden in Jesus.

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://meetingofone.blogspot.com/

    My apologies..Steve, I should have posted link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just before checking in on your blog I read something that I thought was cool when translated through the eyes of grace. I think it kinda fits here. It is from the Hopi Indian tribe.

    Hopi Elders Prophecy

    "See who is here with you and celebrate. At this time in history we are to take nothing personally, least of all ourselves, for the moment we do, our spiritual growth and journey come to a halt.

    The Time of The Lone Wolf is Over
    Gather yourselves.
    Banish the word "struggle" from your attitude and vocabulary.

    All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.

    We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For."

    Especially when I read that last line did it hit home. Do I tend to be waiting for, anticipating the someone that God is going to use to turn our nation around? Do I think that is going to happen through some national leader? Through some well known spiritual leader?

    What if each one of God's children, the everyday, ordinary one's of us, decided to give God full liberty to work through us to turn our nation towards Him?

    We just might find out that we are the one's we have been waiting for.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete