Search This Blog

Saturday, August 08, 2009

A Voice Whining In The Wilderness

I guess the word for my feelings would be “amused” or sometimes “amazed.” I’m talking about my reaction to those pastors (it’s always pastors-thank God for the good ones!) who fancy themselves to be doctrinal watchdogs for the whole Christian world. They are the ones who write verbose articles against what other people are teaching, but have very little to say themselves. They project themselves as scholars of the highest pedigree while their logic and biblical acumen reek of amateurish attempts to sound smart. Since they seem to have no thoughts of their own, they spend their lives reacting negatively to what others say. I mean, after all, when you’re a preacher you have to talk about something.

Somebody recently sent me an email calling my attention to another critic of my ministry and message who has gone to great lengths to show how dangerous I am. (I still can’t quite figure out why friends think this will bless me.) This pastor called me an antinomian. He suggested that I don’t understand the complexity and duality of human nature. He even questioned my trust in the Bible. The only thing his article lacked was the insinuation that my last name might be linked with the Oklahoma City bombings a few years back. (That was Timothy McVeigh, not McVey.)

As I browsed around, I was relieved to learn that I’m not the only heretic out there. Apparently, I’m in good company with Billy Graham, who supposedly is in danger of hellfire for thinking somebody other than middle-aged white men might be in heaven. With Joel Osteen, whom allegedly will one day have that smile wiped off his toothy face. With Rick Warren who, although he is going there, doesn’t worry about it because he doesn’t believe in it. I could list others noted as members of the Heretics Hall of Shame. Some of them are even my friends. People like Bill Gillham, author of Lifetime Guarantee, the book God used to open my eyes nearly 20 years ago. How could anybody say such a mean thing about such a sweet guy!

Well, anyway -- I didn’t know I was such a bad guy. Well, at least I’m sincere – you gotta believe me on that one. The guy who wrote me that “hell will be really hot for you” just doesn’t understand me. Like all Christians, I’ve traveled the road I’m on and have come to the place I am because I believe God’s Spirit has brought me here. And the truth is, if this is the wrong place, all I know is that I sure ain’t going back to where I used to live. Been there, done that. For the last time.

I’ve traveled the religion road and found it only led me in circles. Finally, after many years of driving myself faster and faster in an attempt to find my way, I pulled off in a Rest Stop and don’t plan to ever leave here. I like it. In fact, I plan to spend the rest of my life standing on the side of the road and motioning for others to pull in and rest with me.

Yes, there are whiners in the wilderness – those who whine and criticize because they don’t understand God’s grace and think they are light years ahead of those who proclaim it. As I began by saying, most of the time I’m amused or amazed by them. Truthfully, sometimes I am agitated with them – particularly when their criticisms are about things they think I’ve said or believe when they actually have totally misunderstood my viewpoint. I’m thinking of the one guy who accused me of not believing the Bible. Now that’s a cheap shot with not a shred of basis for such an accusation.

Sometimes I feel sorry for these whining voices, but not often. I save that for legitimately weaker brothers, not wacky ones.

Why this particular blog article? So that others who are criticized will know you aren’t alone. One person recently said she was tempted to just shut up about “this whole grace thing” because of the trouble it is causing her. My advice is: “Don’t!” People need this message of grace we share. Let the whiners whine but let us refuse to back down or water down the gospel.

There is much at stake. Time is short. Grace is true. So let’s keep proclaiming it!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Steve! As a recovering legalist, I am realizing that no teaching or mindset or scripture or anything will draw me out of the room of RELIEF and grace . . .that Grace has firmly planted me! The Truth of God's Grace has set me free from that heavy yoke! Like you so eloquently said above, "I pulled off in a Rest Stop and don’t plan to ever leave here." ha ha I LOVE that! :)

    I'm so grateful! Thank you for the soundbites of grace and truth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I don't know wha it is, but you seem to touch on what I am going through so very often.(with these blog entries) I recently came to a realization that certain christian "friends" of ours who knew what the Grace Walk was all about, cannot tear away from their Pastor's views. The long story short is this. I was told to leave our church,(organization of course) and and was abandoned by a pastor who stood by me for some time in Grace understanding. These friends cant seem to accept me like before and question why I refuse to go to church. They accuse me of forsaking the gathering by always bringing it up. How lonely it can be when you refuse to go around in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I wonder how it must grieve the heart of God to see His children tearing each other apart. And especially those who are attacking the Truth, the gospel of Jesus Christ. Grace is a person. I wonder if ANY of them spend time reading the Bible to find out what IT really says. And we wonder why the world has disdain for the "church".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve - Just want to encourage you to keep preaching grace, keep writing grace - I know that you will, but just want to encourage you amidst all the discouragements that God is using you to help others out of legalism, fear, condemnation and that feeling that they will never make it to the standard of being a perfect Christian - your writings have shown me that I can be free to enjoy God and that He delights in me all the time.
    Bless yer lots
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zeph. 3:17 says a lot, "The Lord in our midst is a Mighty Warrior. He rejoices with song over us. He rests us with His love." Steve I too am 'recovering legalist' and relief I get from your words is so miraculous in its effects. Walk on Brother. But first here's a hug \o/
    Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I to was shone the truth through Bill Gillham book,i still enjoy thier ministry so much. Later God directed me to Grace walk which I'm so grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it interesting - its like that voice that has been following us around all of our religious lives - till one day we recognize that it is the voice of the law condemning and never giving us the soluntion why? because it cant help us - just like our accusers! Then one day we hear the Shepherds voice he leads us out/in and then we just ignore the OTHER VOICES and just keeping walking with HIM. At least the voice now is outside, Steve just keep the door closed. If anyone knocks tell them your not home and let Jesus answer :-)

    ReplyDelete