Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One Of Those Days

A brick mason was laying brick for a wall one day. He had reached the top when he finished and realized he had brought up too many bricks. He went down and hooked a barrel to a line and pulley. He pulled the barrel up to the top and then climbed back up. He then filled the barrel with bricks, then climbed down.

When he reached the bottom, he took the line to lower the barrel. He forgot that the barrel was now heavier than himself, so the barrel started falling down and he started flying up. It scared him so badly that he forgot to let go of the line.

When they finally met in the middle, the barrel cut his shoulder. When he reached the top, his finger was smashed in the pulley. The barrel hit the ground and the bottom broke out. Now the man was now heavier than the barrel, so he started down and the barrel started up.

When they met in the middle, it cut his shins. He fell down into the pile of bricks below. It was then that he let go of the line and the barrel fell back down, landing on top of him!

Have you ever had one of those days? I've had a number of them lately. Days when you are up, then down. Days when you don’t know whether to hold on or let go. What are we do to do when we have “one of those days?”

We trust. The psalmist had days like that too. His example is a good one for us today. He responded by talking to himself. He encouraged himself, saying, “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God” (Psalm 43:5).

When life’s circumstances inflict bumps and bruises on us, we can trust our Heavenly Father. When we are disturbed, we can encourage ourselves by affirming the truth. Your Father cares about you, even when everything going on in your life would suggest otherwise.

Habakkuk 3 says,” Though the fig tree should not blossom, and there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord. I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength.”

When life falls apart, God is still in control. Keep trusting him. Place your hope in your loving Father. You will praise Him again. He is your help. His presence will guide you safely through your trial until you come out safely on the other side!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:13 AM

    Yes ! Been there...I am SO sorry you and Melanie are in this season. I know God is doing MIRACULOUS things thru this ! You are an encourager of the body of Christ all over the world and I believe God is equippng for even harder seasons to come. We just love you and are praying for you. God be glorified !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with Tina's words.

    Mark Vilen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, well ... I don't have alot of words today ... just want you to know that I've been praying for our two David's ... yours in Atlanta ... mine in Afghanistan ... Abba, they belong to You.

    ~ Adrien Neely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve
    I connect to your heart with the words that you have written!

    I want to thank God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit in whom we all live move and have our being that in His personal touch all things including pain and suffering will produce greater fruit which He has prepared so that the palate of our minds may enjoy the wider offering of grace set out before the foundation of the world. John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve
    I really believe our God is a restorer.
    From my experience when we have pain He blesses us even more! He turns our lemons into lemonade, and our shattered glass into diamonds if we trust in Him.
    After Job's sufferings he ended up with double of all he had before, and I also like Isaiah 61:7:-
    "Instead of shame and dishonor,you will enjoy a double share of honor.
    You will possess a double portion of prosperity in your land,and everlasting joy will be yours" (NLT).

    We can rejoice knowing that when we cast our cares onto Him He gives back even more than before. (Of course that's not always so easy to do at the time!)

    I had 12 years of dryness, grief and emptiness and I like to think of it as like the woman with the issue of blood. When I touched His garment blessing flowed out from Him.

    I pray that you will receive such immense blessings from our Heavenly Father that you won't be able to contain them!

    “No eye has seen, no ear has heard,and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him" 1Cor2:9 (NLT)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Though He may slay me, yet will I trust Him..." -Job. Christ alone is our Life, where else can we turn. Praying for you in even dark days, Steve. Luckily, our kids have a Father greater than their earthly dads - One who never waivers, Whose character is sure, Whose love never fails, and Whose Life became ours when He gave His Son for us. You are loved!

    ridiculously graced...
    -mike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a youtube video of that story. It is called the Bricklayers Song.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70vcS41tr2A

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Bob. I hadn't seen that video.

    ReplyDelete