Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Barnabas Touch

I don’t think I would have enjoyed having the Apostle Paul for a friend. Does that sound wrong in some way? I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s true. Paul seemed to be the kind of guy who was too intense for me. Don’t misunderstand me. I believe that Paul is probably the most influential Christian who has ever set foot on planet earth. I look forward to meeting him one day in heaven.

But to have lived with him down here? I’m just not sure. Thank God for the Apostle Paul type Christians in the church today. They’re the prophetic, strong, on-mission types who get a lot done and motivate others to do the same.

But as far as somebody I’d want to hang around with goes, I’d pick Barnabas instead. When Paul first became a Christian, those in the early church had their doubts about the reality of his conversion and wanted to keep their distance from him. It was Barnabas who brought him in and convinced them to accept him. (See Acts 9:27)

Once Paul and Barnabas went on a mission trip with young John Mark. (See Acts 12) After awhile John Mark decided that he was ready to go home, so he did. Later, when Paul and Barnabas were going to return to the places they had visited, John Mark wanted to go. The Apostle Paul wouldn’t hear of it. After all, the boy had abandoned them earlier.

Barnabas, on the other hand, had a different viewpoint. He apparently felt that everybody deserves another chance and insisted that John go with them. Paul and Barnabas couldn’t agree on the matter, so they separated. Paul took off in one direction with Silas and Barnabas in the other with John Mark. (See Acts 15:39)

The name “Barnabas” means “the son of comfort.” He lived up to his name, demonstrating a comforting, encouraging way toward John Mark. My guess is that John never forgot how Barnabas treated him. I suspect that by his tenderness, Barnabas made a friend for life in that situation.

Sometimes Christians think that we all need to be like the Apostle Paul – strong, determined, trail-blazers in expanding the kingdom. The church does need folks like that, but don’t minimize the powerful effect of the Barnabas type Christians in the church.

You might start churches, like Paul did, or you might touch somebody who turned aside like Barnabas did. Don’t fall into the error of thinking that you have to act outside your basic personality and temperament type. God can use you with the personality you have right now, without changing anything about that aspect of your makeup.

Do you relate to Paul’s approach to life? Then go for it. But don’t be too harsh on those who are more comfortable with the Barnabas approach. The Pauls of the church may reach cities, but the Barnabases will impact lives too, one person at a time.

5 comments:

  1. Steve,

    This is very helpful to me this morning. Thanks for being a Barnabas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog Steve. It speaks of grace at a time in the early church that was God's glory working. It may be background info but thank God for the very scripture verifying Act's leaders in the early church, missionaries, and verification of God's doings by logical reason! It being history pointing to Divine intervention shows the life of Paul trailblazing, deepening, and starting churches, in intense trials, and through much persecution misery as well as great joy!! Barnabas means son of consolation, and/or comfort, or encouragment, and thank God for special individuals like him that draw us out of ourselves into marvelous light! He was also an example to believers in other ways like being one of the first to sell property and lay the money at the disciples' feet. Like you said He strategically accepted not only Paul at a pivotal juncture, He encouraged John Mark in an offshoot. Jesus Light of the world shine! I think of the Kendall, Graham chorus, Shine, Jesus, Shine. A beautiful blog Steve. Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good word Steve- I think that's a big part of what God has been working in my life over the last couple of years- being who I am, as opposed to who somebody else thinks I should be. Or even as opposed to who I think I should be.

    For me, that's a move away from judgement of myself and toward acceptance of who God has made me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really interesting view point to me. One of my best friends seems like a Paul to me and he is some what of a Trail Blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delightful to have the Gift of Righteousness at the Cross animating within and nothing of our own abilities according to the flesh because of those of Christ's flock like Barnabus who can minister from strength, victory, & trust the marvelous Presence of the Lord from within! You are one of these persons! Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete