Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Update From Swaziland





Yesterday morning (Saturday) Melanie and I went to a nearby village to see first-hand what life in Swaziland is like for the average person. It was heartbreaking to see the many children who have been orphaned because both parents have died from AIDS. The pictures are a few of those children.

We met with the chief of the village and with his executive council to discuss the problems they face and to pray for them. The greatest problems in Swaziland are the HIV-AIDS pandemic, drought and unemployment. I am at a loss for words to adequately describe what we have seen. Nobody could witness it without shedding tears and being moved to action.

As I prayed for the chief and his council, I sensed our Father's presence in a strong way. Before we left, the chief thanked us for our encouragement and in particular for the time of prayer.

Later we met with many of the orphaned children and I spoke to them, telling them that they have a heavenly Father who knows them by name and loves them. I encouraged them to call out to him when they are hungry, afraid, hurting and to know that His arms are around them and that He is hugging and kissing them.

I assured the chief that we won't only preach the love of Christ to them, but will practice it too. I don't know at this point exactly what that will entail, but know that this is a time when the gospel must be proclaimed "in word and in deed." I will make you aware of how we might present God's love to these people in a tangible way as I get more details and His plan becomes clearer.

Thanks for your prayers. Today I speak in a church here in Manzini. Please pray.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring...I look forward to hearing how God works through you in "word and deed" regarding the plight of kids in Africa.

    ReplyDelete