Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Angry Responses To Happy News


It’s the strangest thing how good news causes some people to become angry. One would think that if they learned that God loves them with an absolute and unwavering commitment to them that has nothing to do with how they act, anybody would be thrilled. Not so. Some people actually become agitated at such news. “If you tell people that, you are teaching cheap grace!” I’ve been told. (I usually respond by telling them that it’s even worse than they think and that I don’t teach cheap grace. I teach free grace.)

I’m amazed at the reaction from some people when they hear me say that it isn’t possible to out-sin the grace of God. You’d think that would be the kind of good news that would cause anybody to at least sigh a sigh of great relief if not literally jump up and down with joy. But that often isn’t the case. To the contrary, I’ve been accused of “being soft on sin” and encouraging people to have a careless attitude toward sins in their own lives.

Tell Christians that they are free from religious rules and watch how some people will grimace in pain like they’ve suddenly been struck down with kidney stones. As long and as hard as most of us have tried and yet have failed miserably at living up to the demands of religious rules, you’d think we would all be thrilled to hear this news. To the contrary, some shriek in fear, “You’re giving people a license to sin!”

Grace – it’s scary to the religious mind set. The self-righteous religionist is always afraid of how teaching grace might have the wrong effect on somebody else. Jesus was “full of grace and truth” and He didn’t seem to worry about that sort of thing. In fact, He seemed to go out of His way to offend the hyper-sensitivities of the self righteous religious crowd.

It was Jesus who told the story of the prodigal son and had the Father smother the boy in hugs and kisses before the pig-manure-covered boy could utter a word about being sorry. Jesus didn’t seem concerned that He might give the idea that begging for forgiveness isn’t a prerequisite for actually getting that forgiveness. Couldn’t His story cause people to accuse Him of being soft on sin?

It was Jesus who told the story of the laborers who all received the same pay check at the end of the day, despite the fact that some had worked all day while others had shown up just before quitting time. Jesus didn’t seem to consider that His story might cause some to take the matter of acting responsibly too lightly.

It was Jesus who had it be the good Samaritan who helped the wounded man by the roadside when the churchmen wouldn’t give him a second glance. To cast the story that way was equivalent to a modern day parable where it would be an HIV positive gay man who was the hero while the Sunday School teacher is made to look bad. Jesus didn’t seem to be very concerned about reversing who came off looking like he had the sterling character while the likely candidate looked like a self-absorbed jerk.

Grace – it just doesn’t fit with what seems fair. It doesn’t seem fair because it isn’t fair. That’s why it’s called grace. Prodigals are thrown parties without a single promise from them that they intend to do better. Workers who straggle in at the last minute reap the same benefit as those who were faithful from the start. The social rejects of society get to play the role of the Christ-figure in the Jesus-stories while the religious are made to look bad.

Make no mistake about it – many in the modern church would have been angry with Jesus if they had been there and heard Him speak. He didn’t fit the religious mold then and neither does He fit it today. He doesn’t care what the self-righteous think about His bizarre expressions of grace. (Bizarre because grace doesn’t fit the expectations of the religious mind.)

Jesus cares about people. He cares enough that He came to break down the bars of religious oppression whether it is found in the brutal dungeons of the Muslim world or in the respectable “Club Fed Prisons” of Evangelical and Charismatic congregations. He has come to set the captives free, not only from sin but from ruthless religion too.

Grace is good news whether we like it or not. Grace embraces and includes us all – the unrighteous and the self-righteous. The sooner we accept that fact, the sooner we can become happy about grace.

8 comments:

  1. I love this, it describes exactly what I am learning right now. We need to be violent with grace in my opinion. We need to throw buckets of grace gas on the grace fire and scare the religious mind to death.

    I'm so glad our Father gave us you and the few others who still preach the gospel with no fine print. We need grace like we need air, but religion is smothering us. I guess the theory for grace in the majority of the church today is kind of like "A little grace won't hurt you, but a lot can kill you".

    We need to be saying, "come on in, the waters fine!" =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in one of the metro cities of America with a population of around 4,468,966 with thousands of 'churches'. And guess what? I can't find a single 'church' which preaches GRACE. I am glad that few people like you still preserves that 'endangered' creature called 'GRACE'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true...people don't see we fulfill the law by grace and faith. Most people want others to behave so that it doesn't offend them and think that is Christian living! This life is fuller than full, freer than free and altogether satfisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once asked a Baptist evangelist why more preachers didn't preach the truth of grace in their services. He exclaimed, "Why, we couldn't get them [church members] to DO anything!" I was flabbergasted! I didn't pursue the conversation because I didn't know exactly what to say. And, as a young, immature, Christian I felt I couldn't challenge him. I mean, after all, he WAS an evangelist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear : Br. Steve Mavey
    I would like to encourahe you to continue your teaching on Grace as It works, I have follw you for nearly 1 year and we found blessing of God to every member of our church.
    Peerasak
    Pastor
    Grace Covenant Church
    Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great reminder to keep on teaching and preaching and sharing about the wonderful grace of God, purely and undiluted. There is no possible way to teach "Jesus" without teaching "grace."

    Looking back, I remember the time when it occurred to me that "grace" is not simply one subject of many in the Christian life, but is really the essence of the Christian life.

    I continue to be astounded that grace makes so many people uncomfortable and/or angry. I guess I shouldn't be astounded, because it's been that way ever since Cain felt cheated that God didn't accept his offering of the fruit of his labor. I guess I'd like to think that people would cry out for grace, grace and more grace! But let 'em first come to the end of themselves, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it amazing that in the discussions on the need to share GRACE, it comes off as a new law to follow. I know this is not the intent of the responders. It is just that we have found such freedom in GRACE that we want others to have it too. I am constantly replaying in my thoughts the scripture verse: It was for freedom that Christ set us free. I share this everytime I can now. Not out of compulsion, but because it is written on my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found this to be true as well...my daughter recently shared a wonderful article on grace with her best friend and she got a response back from her that was very corrective and religious. It kind of threw her for a loop, bu we talked and she understands that this is part of it. I'm just glad the truth is getting out!
    Blessings to you all,
    Sheryl Q.

    ReplyDelete