Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2007

Leaving Swaziland For South Africa Today



Yesterday morning (Sunday) I spoke at a church where the congregation was very receptive to the grace walk message. They cheered, applauded and shouted "Amen!" and "Hallelujah!" as I shared how there is nothing we can ever do or not do that will change how our Father feels toward us.

Today we leave Swaziland with mixed emotions. I am eager to visit Cape Town, where I will speak to a group of pastors, but sad to say goodbye to the dear people we have met here. I know that God wants to use us to bless and express His love to these people and am praying for specific guidance as to how to best do that.

After church yesterday we visited with a bedridden man who is in the advanced stage of the AIDS virus. We sang the chorus "Allelujah" together as he lifted his hands in praise to God. As I prayed for him and his wife, the evident presence of God's love was felt strongly in the room.

Four out of ten people in the Kingdom of Swaziland are infected with the HIV-AIDS virus. The pastor at church yesterday said, "Those of us who aren't infected are directly affected." He asked for volunteers from the congregation to share their own story of how they have been affected. Person after person after person stood and told how they had lost family members to AIDS. They each expressed how they are trusting in the Lord to sustain them. Then we all sang together,

"Through it all, Through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,
I've learned to trust in God.

Through it all, Through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His Word."

You can imagine.

We return to Johannesburg today (a 5 hour drive) and I will speak to the staff and leaders at a church there tonight. Then tomorrow we fly to Cape Town.

I'm not sure how readily Internet service will or won't be accessible, but will post another update as soon as it is possible.

Thank you so much for you prayers and particular thanks to those who gave to make this trip possible.

1 comment:

  1. Steve:
    I just wanted to thank you for taking the time, during what I know must be a busy schedule, to keep us abreast of your ministry there in Africa. The pictures and your comments are moving... Praise God for His love and grace in bringing about the spread of Christ in us the hope of glory on a global scale...

    I pray for you often
    Mike

    ReplyDelete