Search This Blog

Friday, May 19, 2006

Sunrise Over The Bay

This is a picture I took of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (between St. Petersburg and Bradenton,FL) at sunrise. Since we moved to Florida, I often begin my day at Desoto State Park watching the sun rise on the other side of Tampa Bay.

I love the early morning hours. When I was young you couldn't drag me out of bed by dawn, but the older I've become the more I enjoy the stillness right before dawn. Then, as the sun begins to creep up out of the water and into the sky, the terns, seagulls and sandpipers all start hurrying around like they're excited about it being morning. I never see it that I don't think how much it looks like a celebration. (I suspect it is.)

I pretty much follow the same routine every morning. As I watch the sun rise from my car, I listen to the songs "Come Rest In Me" (Heritage Singers), "A Mighty Fortess" (Steve Green), "Beautiful Savior" (The St. Olaf Choir), "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" (Maranatha), and "Oh God, Our Help In Ages Past" Lately I've often listened to "You Raise Me Up" - sung by Celtic Women, not a "Christian song," but it has become a worship song to me.

People sometimes ask me what my favorite Christian music is. Truthfully, I don't care much for contemporary Christian music. It all sounds the same to me. I love the old hymns I grew up singing. My favorite singer these days is John G. Elliot, who I first heard and met when I spoke at the Billy Graham Training Center (The Cove) a few years ago. His music can (and often does) bring tears to my eyes. Check him out at http://www.johnelliott-music.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment