Search This Blog

Monday, May 22, 2006

Ministry This Past Weekend

The Family Church in Gainesville, FL is one of my favorite churches where I speak. I first met this congregation about four years ago. Three years ago, before their current pastor, Max Wilkins, came to the church I spoke there every week for several months. They were generous enough to offer me a place to stay during the week, so I would stay and work on my book, The Godward Gaze, during the week and then preach in the church on Saturday night and Sunday morning. I have developed a genuine friendship with this congregation.

The church ordained new elders yesterday and asked me to speak in the service. I spoke from Acts 20, where Paul called the elders of the church at Ephesus together and gave them a final word before his leaving them. As always, the church warmly received the preaching.

These two guys are Steven Jones and Pat Callahan, both dear friends with whom I had breakfast before church yesterday. Steven is on the Board of Directors for Grace Walk Ministries and is a member of The Family Church. Patrick is the Associate Pastor at the church. Everybody in ministry needs a few close friends to whom they can pour out their heart. Steven and Patrick are those kind of friends. I have shared personal burdens and matters with them and have benefited from their advice many times over the years.

It was good to be back at The Family Church again. I always feel relaxed and sense a complete freedom to preach without reservation when I'm in this church. God's hand is on these folks in a unique way.

No comments:

Post a Comment