Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The McVey Family


Sometimes I've been in a group setting where one of those ice-breaking exercises intended to help people become better acquainted is done. It's the one where folks are asked to tell something about themselves that would surprise people. I love to tell this one:

My wife, Melanie, is the only girl I ever dated. My first date with her was when I was 16 years old and she was 15. She was on the Homecoming Court at her high school and I would have run a stiff campaign for "Class Dweeb" at my school across town. We met at church one Sunday. The next week, with perspiring palms and a pounding heart, I worked up the nerve to ask her out. To my surprise and delight, she said yes. We went to see a Barbra Streisand movie (On A Clear Day You Can See Forever) and ate at Pizza Villa afterwards.


Melanie and Steve in high school . . .

I thought The Beatles and Hermit's Hermits were really groovy!






AND PEOPLE SAY THERE IS NO GOD!




We dated only each other for three years, then I married her on July 28, 1973. For the untitled Class Dweeb in one school to end up marrying a Homecoming Court Beauty from another demonstrated abundant grace in my life even then!

Just short of two years later, we had our first son, Andrew. Then came Amy, David and Amber. They all were born within a seven year period. Today, all of them live in the Atlanta area while Melanie and I live in Florida. Only Amy is married. Her husband, Cliff, is a wonderful son in law who isn't hard to love and respect. They have three children -- Hannah (8 years old), Jonathan (6) and Jeremy (4).

Andrew, Steve, David and Cliff




Amy, Amber and Melanie



Our grandchildren: Jonathan, Jeremy and Hannah

Well, that's the short version of the McVey family! We love and adore each other and thank God for His blessings in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment