Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Reason For This Personal Blog

Ocassionally, friends and family will say to me, "We miss reading about your personal life in your newsletter. We used to enjoy finding out through it how you and Melanie were doing, what was going on with your kids, some of the details of your personal life, etc."

When Grace Walk Ministries started, the only people on my mailing list were those who knew me personally. Today over 10,000 people receive "The Grace Vine" each month. Many on our list are those who have read my books, heard or seen me on radio or TV, or attended a conference I taught. They aren't acquainted with my family or my personal life. I've assumed these folks aren't really that interested in the kinds of things that my friends would want to know. Nonetheless, family and friends have continued to express their interest in hearing more personal info. So -- it hit me one day that a blog would be a great way to do just that. It allows me to talk about personal things, without putting information in front of people who may not care about it.

So, the fact that you're reading this blog causes me to assume you have at least some interest in what's going on in "McVeyLand." This blog format allows me to feel more comfortable about sharing personal, day to day stuff without feeling presumptous in assuming people want to know. My thoughts are, "if they don't want to know, they won't be reading my blog."

So, in future posts, you'll be reading about whatever interests me or is going on in my personal life at the moment. I'll probably do the next blog with a little info on myself and my family for the sake of those who do care about that kind of news, even though they may not know me personally. After that, I'll write about whatever the mood strikes me to write about. This will be a sort of freestyle type of thing, from my heart and head, without edits.

This may be good for me too. My personality is an extroverted, sociable one, but at the same time I tend to be fairly closed with people about personal thoughts and feelings. I served as a pastor in local churches for almost 21 years and pastors often learn to be guarded about personal matters as a sort of self-protective mechanism.

I'd love to hear your responses to the blogs I post here. This is the first time I've done this sort of thing, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for caring enough to read this first post. I'll try to stay on top of it and write new postings regularly. If you aren't familiar with me, you can visit my web site at www.gracewalk.org to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve! Amy filled me on your new way of communicating...I may have to become a bit more savvy and get my own blog. Hope you and Melanie are doing well.
    Love, Jessica

    ReplyDelete