Search This Blog

Monday, November 01, 2010

Theology Through Music

When I was in California a few weeks ago, Joe Tkach (President of Grace Communion International) mentioned Jeremy Begbie to me. I hadn't heard of him but googled him when I came home. Wow! Here's a great example of what I've taught in the past about how our Father reveals Himself in non-religious ways and how, if we have eyes to see and ears to hear, we will discover how the whole world declares Him to us. I've written about our Father's revelation of Himself to us through the arts, but Begbie says it with an eloquence and accompanying musical gift that is awesome. He is the Thomas A. Langford Research Professor at Duke Divinity School, Duke University. Here's a video where he is speaking about understanding theology through the arts:



If you liked the video and want to see/hear some really interesting teaching from Dr. Begbie, here's another link to a video called, "The Sense of an End." I think it's a great teaching that illustrates the longing of all creation for our Father to bring all things to the Divine consummation. I'll warn you though- the video below is an hour and a half long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GfEbzr09q0

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE NEW COVENANT

    Once we become members of Christ’s family, he does not let us go hungry, but feeds us with his own body and blood through the Eucharist.

    In the Old Testament, as they prepared for their journey in the wilderness, God commanded his people to sacrifice a lamb and sprinkle its blood on their doorposts, so the Angel of Death would pass by their homes. Then they ate the lamb to seal their covenant with God.

    This lamb prefigured Jesus. He is the real "Lamb of God," who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29).

    Through Jesus we enter into a New Covenant with God (Luke 22:20), who protects us from eternal death. God’s Old Testament people ate the Passover lamb.

    Now we must eat the Lamb that is the Eucharist. Jesus said, "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life within you" (John 6:53).

    At the Last Supper he took bread and wine and said, "Take and eat. This is my body . . . This is my blood which will be shed for you" (Mark 14:22–24).

    In this way Jesus instituted the sacrament of the Eucharist, the sacrificial meal Catholics consume at each Mass.

    The Catholic Church teaches that the sacrifice of Christ on the cross occurred "once for all"; it cannot be repeated (Hebrews 9:28).

    Christ does not "die again" during Mass, but the very same sacrifice that occurred on Calvary is made present on the altar.

    That’s why the Mass is not "another" sacrifice, but a participation in the same, once-for-all sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

    Paul reminds us that the bread and the wine really become, by a miracle of God’s grace, the actual body and blood of Jesus: "Anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself" (1 Corinthians 11:27–29).

    After the consecration of the bread and wine, no bread or wine remains on the altar. Only Jesus himself, under the appearance of bread and wine, remains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this Steve... thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve
    Thanks for sending this. This is an epiphany for me in coming to be aware at heart level that the Holy Spirit is weaving all things for good with every person on this planet.
    It was my effort in composting where I was at that I pressed on other people, not from love, but from my way to feel good about me. It created unrest rather than rest. It is good to know that the Father, by the Spirit in Jesus is in the composition business, for all humanity are included in His orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tremendous Steve, I am all jazzed up to be complimentary. Gave a new meaning to living peacable with all men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. What a profound piece of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never will I call art dumb. Aestheticly pleasing music rocks because our Rock is not as their rock. The Divine meets the Supernatural in music of hope and theology from God. Refined thoughts. Thanks Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite a coincidence Steve...I work in a theology college library and this week was shelving some books and just happend to put away 3 books authored by Jeremy Begbie....

    This video is good too and very insightful..I als play a little keyboards and piano.

    ReplyDelete