Search This Blog

Monday, November 08, 2010

Questions About My Theology

The following is an exchange between an online friend named Lance and myself. He raises questions that others have asked since I posted the blog "Exactly Who Is Holy?"


LANCE'S NOTE:

I'm just trying to say that there are dozens of little assumptions built into what you are saying these days. if any one of those assumptions fails, then your conclusion might fail. i encourage you to look long and hard at all of the hidden assumptions you are making; identify them; re-examine them; see where people may have a hold up; learn how to address those hold-ups.

i have already identified one for you: monergism vs. synergism.

Scenario A. (my hope for you)
you're really on to something. the Christian world has seemed to have totally misjudged God's character & nature; this has resulted in some pretty incorrect theology.

Scenario B through O.
....

Scenario P.
i am aware that monergistic salvation is a settled fact in your mind. it was settled long before you believed the New Cov, and has been one of the few constructs you carried over into your New Cov teaching. for other people, including New Cov teachers that we both love & respect, synergistic salvation is preferred.

i am also aware that you have worked and struggled long and hard on this current change in your soteriology. it is my suspicion that you are forced into it by applying the concept of monergism to the scripture.

*if* monergism is not really the way it is, then applying monergism to the scripture will create funny results.
=====
as far as Peter goes, i'm saying the same thing: there are reasonable alternative explanations to what God meant with him.
Peter was saved, so therefore he was holy. Cornelius was not saved, so other people (not Steve) will think he is not holy.
so, here we have a disagreement; how to resolve it?
Scenario A.
you are right.

Scenarios B- W
...

Scenario X.
maybe it was well-known in the church that peter that gentiles were unholy and unclean. maybe peter was just going around calling all gentiles unclean and unholy. maybe peter was telling young, go-getter, would-be evangelists not to go to the gentiles because 'they' weren't 'deserving'. or maybe, even, there were gentile believers already who peter was always calling unholy and unclean.
maybe this whole incident was God dealing with peter...working on peter to make him accept the gentiles (we know he had problems with this point in other places as well).

=====
i like you, steve. i find all that you're saying both compelling and disturbing. you are a very convincing person.
however, i believe there are many assumptions that you have not dealt with...assumptions that may be forcing you down a path that others (including me) are balking at. i encourage you to really re-examine all the hidden assumptions (hidden, even to your conscious mind) you're making.

much love, brother.
Lance

MY RESPONSE:


Lance, first, let me say that I appreciate your attitude. I realize that your struggle is with my evolving viewpoint of grace over the past years and the way I'm articulating that now. I don't sense anything less than sincere concern for me and my wandering ways :)

I find myself at a disadvantage in some ways these days. I have agonized for almost 6 years, since first being exposed to "Trinitarianism" as a viable school of soteriology. I have become persuaded that this position aligns itself with Scripture and, more specifically, to the love and grace of God, than any other viewpoint on the subject that I've ever encountered.

Like anybody who believes that he understands a great and an important spiritual truth, I am eager to share what I sincerely believe the Holy Spirit has shown me from the Scripture. The disadvantage I find myself at is knowing how to best communicate this biblical position in the most efficient way. I have chosen thus far to teach it through my Sunday Preaching and through my blog. FB gives me a platform for responding to people's questions and objections.

The challenge with the FB and blog comments sections is that the actual exchange of ideas in a conversational way is greatly limited. It's easy to be misunderstood. That's true concerning both the content being communicated to each other and to the demeanor/tone/attitude of the one trying to communicate at any given moment.

I'm concerned at times about two things: 1. That people think I'm saying something that I'm not saying. For instance, I'm not saying that people go to heaven without faith in Christ. I'm not saying that it makes no difference whether or not someone professes to be a Christian in this life. I'm not saying that the objective aspects of the work of the cross which I do believe apply to every person, whether they know it or not, are meaningful realities to them in any sense of the word apart from their understanding and belief.

These are not kindergarten issues. For years people have said to me, "We want to GROW in grace! We know that understanding the basics of the exchanged life/grace walk is the starting place, not the finishing point." I have and do agree with them. I think the teaching I'm seeking to do now is in line with that desire.

However, I fear at times being misunderstood so that people think I am adamantly convinced I'm right and couldn't care less what others think about what I'm saying (or about me, for that matter.) I do care. My friend, Joel Bruseke, recently wrote in one of his own blogs about how important it is that those of us in “the grace community” respect and show love to each other when we have differences – that we not act condescending to people who don’t share our view. Joel commented that it has taken him years to come to his beliefs and the fact that he doesn’t agree with something doesn’t mean he is immature in grace. It simply means that he doesn’t agree. I think his point is an extremely valid and timely one. I don’t want to be perceived as being one who thinks that I’ve arrived or stand above others with a condescending attitude. Somebody I’ve never met (to my knowledge) recently accused me online of not being open to biblical correction anymore. That stung because I know it’s not true.

However, the challenge hangs on the question of how to keep disagreeing with somebody when they’ve made their “best case” to change your mind without appearing to them that you’re no longer teachable. It doesn’t mean I’m not teachable or “beyond biblical correction” because I can’t be persuaded I’m wrong by a person any more than it means they are immature because they don’t see it the way I do.

Then there’s the issue of responding to people. How am I to respond to a post where the writer has made points he believes to be valid and discuss/debate (with a proper attitude between both of us) without the risk that the person who wrote the first post thinking I sound defensive or without my “rebuttal” to his remarks sounding like I think I know everything and am trying to be argumentative.

May I give you an example, trusting that the Holy Spirit will cause you to know my heart? You’ve indicated in your note that I have “dozens of little assumptions built into what I’m saying these days.” Then you move onward a few paragraphs later to make gargantuan sized assumptions. Here’s the content in your note I reference here:

“Maybe it was well-known in the church that peter (thought) that gentiles were unholy and unclean. maybe peter was just going around calling all gentiles unclean and unholy. maybe peter was telling young, go-getter, would-be evangelists not to go to the gentiles because 'they' weren't 'deserving'. or maybe, even, there were gentile believers already who peter was always calling unholy and unclean.
maybe this whole incident was God dealing with peter...working on peter to make him accept the gentiles (we know he had problems with this point in other places as well).”

Now, Lance, if I suggest that I’m not making assumptions as it seems to you but that it seems to me that you are making huge assumptions in the paragraph above, what’s the likelihood of you reading my response without it sounding argumentative or arrogant or unwilling/unable any longer to see the truth? Do you see my dilemma? I have a response to the objections people raise but it seems that when I offer that response, some wrongly judge my thoughts or my motives or my mood. For instance, how might you perceive it when I point out the impossibility of your advice to me: “I encourage you to really re-examine all the hidden assumptions (hidden, even to your conscious mind) you're making.” Lance, how does one reconsider something hidden to his conscious mind??? ☺

I have a strong personality. I know that. You indicate that I’m a convincing person. I’ve been told that all my life. People like that aspect of how I present truth when they like what I’m saying, but when they don’t like what I’m saying, all of a sudden what they’d seen as an asset now becomes a liability I possess. (As an aside, I can’t resist saying that in many cases, it’s not me who is convincing. It’s the truth itself that is convincing.)

I do present biblical truth with boldness, plainness and confidence. Sadly, that can be misunderstood as aggressive, dogmatic pride. What’s the answer? For me to “weany it down” and present truth in a “golly-gee, folks I might be dead wrong about this matter, but here’s what I sorta, kinda think about this matter” sort of way? (Again, I’m using what I intend to be humorous hyperbole here to make my point. But that may not be obvious on the Internet, huh? ☺

Your challenge to me to reconsider my assumptions is one I’m totally willing to do if I knew what those are. What you call assumptions may be what I’d consider well thought out, prayerful conclusions I’ve reached over a period of years. Once again, the challenge.

Finally, there’s the contextual aspect of my viewpoints. You suggest that my view is monergistic because I brought that into my new covenant understanding from my past. You are right about that. Not every thing I believed before I began to understand the grace walk was wrong. I’ve always believed that God is sovereign and my growing understanding of grace has only intensified that view. You wrote, “If monergism is not really the way it is, then applying monergism to the scripture will create funny results.” You are exactly right, but the same can be said about synergism too. It too will create funny results when applied to Scripture if it’s not the way it is.

So, to end this lengthy response, I close with a few things for you and others who read our exchange. (I think I’m going to post this as a separate blog altogethernfor those who don’t do FB but read my blog. We’ve both put too much time/energy into this for it not reach the largest number of folks it can.) Your concerns are those I’ve heard from others too. I appreciate the respectful way you’ve articulated them.

I don’t think I’m infallible in my understanding. I’ve been wrong in my journey about so much for so long while being sure I was so right about many things. This could be another time I’m wrong, but I don’t think it is or I wouldn’t be sharing it the way I am. I didn't speak of these things while studying them for five years. Finally, I had to teach it or explode. :)To those who think I’m wrong, please pray for me. I assure you that my heart is to discern biblical truth under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. I believe it is indeed the Holy Spirit who has led me to the place of understanding I now find myself.

My intent is to simply proclaim the gospel of grace. I do that with fervor and believe it is important to “stand strong” in the process. My desire is to stand with boldness in humility. If my boldness is perceived as anything less than humility, I regret that and pray that the Holy Spirit will teach me how to best communicate what I believe the Bible teaches in a way that the largest number of people can hear and receive it.

Having said that, I know that no matter how well I may say something, there no way to avoid being misunderstood or have my motives questioned. Even Jesus didn’t escape that.
I’m okay if people don’t agree with me. Heck , I don’t even agree with things I’ve said at times! ☺ I speak from my heart and share what my head is convinced I’ve been taught by Him. If somebody disagrees with me and then I disagree right back at ‘em, that is simply a way of engaging and an attempt to think out loud together. It’s a way others who read those kinds of exchanges might learn.

I no more determine the direction that I grow than the oak tree outside my window decides which way it will grow. I am a serious student of the Bible who prays and trusts the Holy Spirit to lead me into truth and cause me to avoid error. Where I am today is where I am. I didn’t choose it. From my perspective, I have followed the Spirit and the Bible and ended up here.

It is important for people to know that my viewpoint isn’t a new one nor is it the view of a fringe element. Throughout church history, there have been those who held this Trinitarian perspective. Many still do today. However, I recognize that it is a perspective that many in the Evangelical and Charismatic world are unfamiliar with. My goal is to introduce biblical truth to those who might not have heard it. I always challenge people to be teachable but not gullible.

I believe that the efficacy of the cross applies to ever person. I also believe that there must be faith response on their part. Hebrews 4:2 says, “For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.” The gospel IS the gospel (good news) whether people believe it or not. But for it to “profit them” they must believe it.

I’ve said that in as many ways as I know how. That’s what I plan to keep saying – what Jesus did, He did. Our faith doesn’t make something happen. It simply recognizes what He has already done for us, and not only for us but for the whole world.
Thanks for your thoughtful input, Lance. I hope this response will help explain where both my heart and my head are in all this.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent response Steve. Very well put. There is a quote that I just loved and want to share..."Our faith doesn’t make something happen. It simply recognizes what He has already done for us, and not only for us but for the whole world." I was trying to share this with my husband tonight, but he wasn't getting it. I just smiled at him and said, you don't see it yet, but you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June - and did he slap ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Steve,

    i think you're a reasonable person, and i do not think you've come to these things lightly or without reason, and i think you waited a long time before you ever taught on this subject...i really do think you repressed it for so long that you are *bursting* to talk about it.
    and i think you are, indeed, often wronged by people who disagree with you; i'm glad you show them grace. and i appreciate your attitude and your response here (though i am surprised you called me out!! LOL). i hope i am not too bold to say that i, too, am considered a loud mouth by many. i'm sure many of your friends agree! LOL

    =====
    about the Peter thing, the first thing i should have said before is that i really appreciated that you pointed out that Cornelius was not saved at the beginning of the story.

    about the rest of it, we may have a little misunderstanding.
    i had meant to present those ideas about Peter as a viable possibility, not a matter-of-fact. i find them to be reasonable explanations, every bit as reasonable as the explanation you proposed. i did not see that you had considered these other possibilities, so i laid them before you to consider if you chose to.
    =====

    all in all, Steve, i love you. and i love your teaching, love your books, your sermons, all the people you've helped. love it all.

    because of the love, i am now nervous for you and for the future effectiveness of all your past work. i know you are bursting, but i hope you will slow down a bit. consider this...if speaking about this soteriology turns off Old Covenant believers from your previous work, is it more loving to speak on it or to remain silent?

    if you would like for the two of us to actually speak, maybe get to know each other a little before continuing, i'm for it. :D

    grace + peace, my friend
    -lance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lance - your heart oozes grace and I do appreciate that :) I posted our exchange because I thought you put forward very well what some others have said to me too.

    I do appreciate your concern for me and for my welfare. A few other friends have expressed the same concern. Others have told me to "be bold" in sharing what God has put in my heart. I realize that you would know that I have no desire to do anything or say anything that will alienate me from those who currently respect what I have to say.

    I remember in 1990, when I was a local pastor coming to understand grace and identity, I thought, "Lord, you don't really expect me to tell these people all this, do you?" I was afraid of their potential response. In time, I became emboldened to share what the Holy Spirit had taught me.

    In the same way, I've been studying soteriology for almost six years and have come to this place in my understanding. I know that I am on good ground in terms of church history. I believe I am on good ground in biblical terms. I do realize that some will "get mad and go away" and believe me, I don't take that lightly. At times, it scares me. When Jesus said "hard sayings," even many of His disciples went away. It isn't realistic for me to expect otherwise.

    I've prayed many times, MANY times and asked the Holy Spirit to cause me to have the wisdom to know what to say and not say, when to speak and when to be quiet. I'm trying to use discretion and diplomacy in sharing the things I believe He has taught me.

    I don't want to hurt those who trust me or hurt the ministry I've had with them in the past. But I have to trust that the same Holy Spirit who moves me will move others. We're all growing together.

    I appreciate your concern and ask you to pray that I will have clarity in my own understanding and in how to say what I say. Pray that He will shut my mouth when it needs to be shut :) Also, pray that He will give me boldness when it needs to be open.

    I hope that those who know me will show grace to me if they disagree. It has surprised me how "ungracious" some "grace people" have been about this. It also has encouraged me to see such a positive response from others.

    My desire is to walk in step with His Spirit. Pray that I'll do that. Trusting Him, praying and doing what I believe He shows me to do is all I can do. I can't imagine He'd have me do anything else.

    Thanks again, Lance.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys lost me a long time ago with the "iology's" LOL I think this is interesting because it reveals something about our body life.Instead of the end being with Constantine it must have been with the councils and following Jesus became "agreement" based instead of relationally based. Purpose of communication is to understand one another not to agree or convince. That's how the body has become so divided anyway. This is not new. Your in good company, Lance and Steve. Peter and Paul had some really good disagreements. Love always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve
    Thanks for the honest and gracious dialogue and most of all sharing this with all of us. We learn at every turn that everything works out for good.
    About 5 years ago I found myself on a similar journey having taught the “Exchanged Life” for a number of years. I found myself being confronted with questions that did not fit my box at that time anymore. When I talked to some people about it I was simply told not to speak of it. Well that just does not connect with me; God is about relationship and not shutting doors, if anything He continues to open. How do you shut down this overwhelming sense of reality that continues to have you press on! There were days where I just said “That’s it no more” but soon I would find myself back wrestling with new thought.
    I believe that I will change my mind of who God, as Father, Son and Holy Spirit is for the rest of my life. I am also strong headed, who questions, doubts loves to study and yes, who sometimes does things and then realizes “Why did I say that or send that email.” For me it has caused me some grieve, however I know that I am learning to share in His life and those who know me understand.
    Isn’t that what we are all about, growing up to come to know how to live as human beings in the humanity of our Lord and High Priest Jesus? It is the Spirit who ultimately will convince all of us to be known so the world may know. I also believe when we all stand before Him we will all say “Well how little we really knew of His unbending grace for all”
    Jesus was slain before the creation of the world. He chose to write the Bible after in our space/time by the Spirit not to confuse but to awaken all of us in His new relationship with all humanity. I believe we are all at different stages of this awakening. How do I know? Every time there is a change of mind, I come to say” I never saw that before?” Thanks for giving me my little space here and I do appreciate people who know how little they really come to know. Your friend John

    ReplyDelete
  7. very kind response, Steve.

    as a practical matter, Steve, what do you think we should do about resources for small groups with Old Covenant believers?
    i really want to use the Grace Walk book, because it covers most everything and it is, in my opinion, the most approachable/readable book in the New Cov literature. however, if one of these saints were to investigate you + find this soteriology, i expect it would *really* not go well. ...i expect that people would refuse to use the book if they learned about it (the soteriology) beforehand, and others would feel betrayed if they learned about it during/after the study. either way, i would expect the progress we've made with these saints to be hindered.
    ...i mean, i for one deal with people who are attracted to 'Lordship theology' ala Francis Chan or John MacArthur or 'The Masters Seminary'... i realize you feel conviction here, but i feel this soteriology really raises the hurdle (whereas the usual Calvinism was a convenient starting point of agreement). i am reminded her of Rom 14:13b and what led up to it. i am sad here because i feel *the* best book/resource available for them is slipping away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve,
    I finally have gotten it. It took me until Lesson 11 of your Dancing with Deity series to understand it. It makes 100% sense that having Jesus die "once for all" and that His death caused ALL to be reconciled that they also would be justified and holy. I see it that God has done EVERYTHING possible for all men to return to a relationship with Him. So now even more questions.
    1. When we believe, is this when we are regenerated by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?
    2. If the objective reality is that all are now set apart (holy) how does this fall in line with the Judgement Seat of Christ? Is it because we have been regenerated that we are considered one of His sheep?
    3. I really wrestle with past, present, and future tenses. Objective reality is always in the present tense. Subjective experiences are within the limits of time/space. Do you agree?
    4. I now also understand why we should not call others unhly (Cornelius issue) as the Father's reality is that everything has been done "once for all". If we call someone unholy then we are referencing that He has not finished His work. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ‎"The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

    Thank you for sharing this post with us. :)

    Grace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve,

    Since I started reading and recommending your blog, I have heard from countless people that they love you, and had it not been for your teaching they don't know where they'd be today.

    The thing all these people have in common is having lived with spiritual abuse. Most of them were home schooled (as a home school mom that is painful!) by parents determined to raise their children "Biblically".

    I was one of them, but praise God I gave up my determination to be the perfect fundamentalist Christian family before the damage was too great. Rather, praise God for the stubbornness of my first born and her ability to steadfastly resist my demands. :p

    Other families, convinced that they KNOW all the answers to all the questions about all the doctrines and "how shall we then live", are not faring so well. They have fractured families (though they will blame their ostracized children for that), depression (which they censure as "sin"), anorexia (sometimes praised as "godly self-control"), secret cutting- all manner of ugly, painful realities which a determination to perfect oneself and others creates in a family.

    The other group of people I hear from are those saying Trinitarianism is heretical. Since these critics are usually the perpetrators of spiritual abuse or willing participants in these so-called "Biblical" systems, I don't even bother to ask them why they make that assumption.

    **note: I am writing about specific people in my specific life who decry Trinitarianism as heretical, not referring to anyone else in the world. If I don't know you, I am not referring to you**

    All that to say, please don't hold back. Your online ministry is giving hope to people in dire need of good news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your input, John. Many-a-time you've forwarded links to me that have helped me along in my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for engaging, Steve.

    do you have any advice for when we feel that this soteriology will increase the barrier that people in bondage already feel when hearing about the freedom of the New Cov?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a question. Lance and Steve may both want to respond (or neither). It's about this statement "Cornelius was not saved at the beginning of the story."

    Not sure this is consistant with either versions of Steve (LOL).

    Might it not be that all are SAVED - and that hell will be filled with saved people.

    I read the Prodigal God this way. God grace / salvation / redemption / inclusion was ALWAYS available to both boys. Still, the younger ran away from it and the elder left the party. STILL is was theirs all along.

    What they missed was the experience of that salvation. They didn't have to do anything to get inside - but they could do something to put themselves outside. This freedom is also a gift of God's love - cause one thing love cannot do is force a relationship that is not wanted.

    This seems more consistant with this statement by Steve: "Our faith doesn’t make something happen. It simply recognizes what He has already done for us, and not only for us but for the whole world."

    Steve, thanks for being so bold about this. When we ate dinner in Roanoke six/seven years ago, you affirmed your Calvinism. We chatted about that - but I wasn't really excited about that. I grew up with that and didn't like it. Especially the "limited atonement" thing. It's just didn't seem biblical and comfortable.

    In fact, myn one problem with many of the GRACE teachers I'd read and heard is at this point. How can we preach radical grace that is somehome limited? Further, how can we preach a grace that divides God up into parts and says, "One part is angry (Father) and the other part takes that anger (the Son). Not sure even where the Holy Spirit fits in, cause as a Baptist, the Holy Spirit could leave most of our churches and never really be missed (but I digress)

    My reaction was initially the unversalism route - but that didn't seem too comfortable or biblical. Still, it seemed better than Calvin.

    In my doctoral studies I read a book, "God Does Not Forclose" which presented the idea of "universal grace" (not universalism). The author was a professor and became a friend.

    I have thought about this for a long time. Studied it in Barth's understanding of the Trinity. Now, I am seeing in in Kruger, the Torrance Family, and so many others - including yourself.

    It is a blessing to me to start to let some of this out.

    ReplyDelete