Search This Blog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Offending Weaker Brothers


I've often heard the teaching that, as Christians, we shouldn’t do anything that might offend somebody. While there is a biblical truth about being an offense that we need to understand, it's also the case that many Christians have been put into bondage by faulty teaching about the passage in the New Testament which speaks about not being a stumbling block for weaker brothers. Some have misrepresented that text and suggested that if anything that you might do could potentially be offensive to somebody else, then you ought not to do it. That’s not at all what the Bible teaches.

The Scripture does teach that we are to relate to each other on the basis of love. Loving people in the most effective way - that is the key. There is no disputing the fact that the Scripture says that if we have a weaker brother in our lives, who does not understand our freedom in Christ, then because of our love for that brother, we might be wise to be cautious and careful in our behaviors, so as not to offend the person. That’s an act of love, it’s an act of grace toward a weaker brother - someone who’s not strong in grace.

On the other hand, I think the verse has sometimes been taken to the extreme and taught to mean that if somebody is not going to like something that you do, then you ought not do it. The truth is, to approach the Scripture from that viewpoint, will cause you to go into bondage, because there will be many things in your life that somebody believes you shouldn’t do.

If you look across the body of Christ, there’s a diverse body of opinion about different things within the church world. Christians differ about music, movies, dress, alcohol, women in ministry, styles of worship . . . the list goes on and on. Some parts of the Body of Christ get into issues like where we should shop. For instance, I spoke to somebody the other day, who said that they believe that Christians ought not shop at WalMart, because this Christian believed they practice unfair labor practices. That is a conviction that they have. Well, does that mean that I should never shop at WalMart, for fear of offending that person?

The bottom line is this: To say that you shouldn’t do anything that might offend someone isn't true. You need to relate to every person in love, but recognize that Jesus Himself sometimes offended religious people by the things he chose to do. He healed on the Sabbath. In fact, He said and did many things they didn’t like. So we relate to people from a heart of love, but we don’t allow ourselves to be controlled by public opinion. The Holy Spirit will show us the balance between the two if we truly love people and ask Him to guide us.

10 comments:

  1. ...one more step in your Walmart example...I wouldn't stop shopping at Walmart, but I also won't necessarily do it in front of the other person or flaunt it. Again, approach them in love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. SteveM - it depends on the situation for me. There are weaker brothers, then there are Pharisees. Jesus seemed to try to offend the Pharisees at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. Bob Warren likes to say that Jesus made a hobby out of breaking the Jewish "oral" laws of the Pharisees....and did it in front of them. But then, like my wife says, the Pharisees did not believe in Christ and were not saved. So what do you do with believers today who act like Pharisees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd do the same thing. A "pharisee attitude" looks the same either way. In other words, self-righteousness is self-righteousness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:43 PM

    I heard Richard Rogers teach on this.
    ...OK, I will stop shopping Walmart, just admit to me you are the weaker brother here. (You are the weaker bro. here and not me.) OK, then you are to accept me without agrument.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Richard Rogers, but I like him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I brew beer. We like beer. We don't get drunk. We're not advocating sin in any way. And it's frustrating that some people get all worked up about it.

    People have suggested that we shouldn't brew or drink beer because it might cause a weaker brother to stumble.

    I don't mean to lack compassion on a weaker brother, but I feel a little ripped off if I have to give up beer because I might offend someone when Jesus was perfectly free to make water into wine and to drink wine in front of people that called him a glutton and a drunkard (I'm assuming here, 'cause how would they say that unless they saw him drink wine?).

    So, I'm not sure in exactly what situation I would want to avoid drinking alcohol. I don't drink alcohol in front of friends that don't drink but it's not because I'm afraid of them stumbling. It's because I'd rather not feel criticized by them.

    So, I guess what I'm wondering here is.. You said "There is no disputing the fact that the Scripture says that if we have a weaker brother in our lives, who does not understand our freedom in Christ, then because of our love for that brother, we might be wise to be cautious and careful in our behaviors, so as not to offend the person." I see that in Scripture and I guess I just don't get it. Shouldn't we be teaching them that they do have freedom in Christ? How do these things reconcile?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen - note that I intentionally used the word "might" in that sentence. To follow the alcohol example, I'll bet you wouldn't drink beer if you were with a person who has been addicted to alcohol and has recently come out of rehab. My point is that we are sensitive to where people are - on a case by case basis. There's not a uniform application of this for every person in every situation. We have to depend on the Holy Spirit to show us what's appropriate for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a side note - it also says that the weaker brother should not judge the stronger - because they are both accepted of the Lord. That point always seems to be lost in the conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a situation where a sister in Christ, who I would meet with to talk and play cards once a week decided that she could no longer meet or speak with me. Though I'd been clear that I had no intentions of pursuing a relationship she all of a sudden got upset with me and told me I was being inappropriate and that she would only talk to me again if we were both interested in pursuing a relationship. Granted she is going through a tough time (counseling for abuse), but when do we give them the room for Christ to grow them and when do we step in and say they are practicing a form of legalism which is damaging to them and those around them? What advice do you have for my situation?

    ReplyDelete