Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Christian Life Is NOT "All Of Him And None Of Me"

I've been working on a manuscript for a book based on the 101 Lies Taught In Church videos that I posted on YouTube two years ago. Some of these lies seem true at first glance. Here’s one that sounds like an expression of genuine humility. “The Christian life is all of Christ and none of me.” A person who would make this statement could almost sound noble, like a super-spiritual person. In fact, it almost has a ring of humility to it - but it’s still a lie.

Your Christian life is not all of Him and none of you. Think about it this way: When Jesus came into this world in human form, was it all of God and none of Him? No, to the contrary, it was all of God and all of Him. Jesus and His Father were in complete union so that He was 100% man and 100% deity at the same time.

Theologians call it the hypostatic union — meaning, that Jesus was not 50 percent man, and 50 percent God, he was 100 percent God, and 100 percent man. He was the God-man. So Jesus might have said as a man, “it’s all of God, and all of me.” Today, in the same way, you and I have come into union with God through Jesus Christ.

In the first chapter of Genesis, we see God created everything in the universe. His assessment of each aspect of creation is to see that it was “good.” Then, having finished, "God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good."Genesis 1:31

Anything God makes is good, and that includes everything about us before the Fall. Our minds, our souls, our bodies, and our individual personalities, all are good. A biblical view of man must maintain this perspective. In the first century, Paul warned Timothy about false teachers who would forbid believers from participating in good things God created — things like eating certain foods, or entering into marriage — out of a false understanding of spirituality:

"For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer."1 Timothy 4:4-5

The same is true in regard to our individual humanity. God hasn’t created us to be nonentities. That’s the goal of many Eastern religions, such as Buddhism. The goal there is to be cured of the illusion that you are a distinct individual. Buddhists want to be lost again in the “universal consciousness,” the “All,” like a cup of wine being poured back into the vat. That’s “salvation” from the Eastern point of view. This point of view is, in fact, the exact opposite of the Bible’s.

1 Corinthians 6:17, says,"But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him."

Yes, we desire to be united with Christ, but that does not mean personal annihilation. In fact, not only do you not cease to exist as a person, you actually become more of an individual than ever before! God likes different individuals. That’s why He made so many of us.

The Bible’s message is not “Christ instead of your life,” or just “Christ in your life” that gives you your identity. It is Christ as your life. So it is all of Him in us, but it’s also all of us in Him. There’s a oneness there. There’s a union.

If you believe that “it’s all Christ and none of you,” you are likely to become passive in your Christian walk. You could say, “Well, I’m only a conduit and I just wait for Him to do it through me. He does it all and I do nothing.” That perspective fails to recognize the union believers share with Christ.

We are co-laborers together with God. We put our neck in the same yoke with Jesus. He said “take my yoke upon you.” Together, as co-laborers with God and empowered by Him, we move forward. We act in a way that it is our personalities and our physical bodies through which He acts. It is your will in your mind that He activates, but He does it through you. Not “instead of you.”

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for explaining that Steve! When I was in my 20s and just married, and talking about being "one flesh", a pastor said to me - "you are not just an extension of him (husband), you are a person in your own right".
    Our union with Christ is like that from what you've said here.

    Looking forward to the manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This nothingness is not about the physical self. It's the attitude. All that is good is Lord, who do it. All Glory goes to Him and nothing to self.

    Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Steve!
    I look foward to that "101 lies" book coming out eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Steve, I think that is an excellent clarification..if I'm being honest, when I used that phrase...I was being pious. The false humility to make one's self look good. Thanks for the encouraging word !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I first realized this truth, it took away so much shame. Just understanding that God doesn't want me to disappear because I'm such a screw-up, but actually wants to join with me so I can become MORE of the unique person he made me to be. Wow. That's amazing. As this truth settled into my heart it brought me so much peace with myself. I finally started feeling comfortable living in my own skin, knowing I was liked, loved, and accepted by God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in total agreement with what you said. I do think different people might mean different things when they say "all of him and none of me." They might be saying that they are no longer making a flesh effort to act righteously, but allowing God to do the work in us himself. The "me" they refer to might be fleshly self-effort, when the "me" you are referring to is the actual person. I appreciate the clarification you made. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog Steve. What joy to realize we are whole. We can be cleansed, together complete and simplicity of who God calls, esteemed favored. God doesn' make no junk and clothed in Christ we as earthen vessels hold the treasure not as pots damaged but "in the Potters hands." We can be as you say, "His assessment of each aspect of creation is to see that it was “good.” Then, having finished, "God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good."Genesis 1:31

    Anything God makes is good, and that includes everything about us before the Fall. Our minds, our souls, our bodies, and our individual personalities, all are good. A biblical view of man must maintain this perspective."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:09 PM

    Steve, why do you think Paul in Gal.2:20, said the life I now life in the flesh, rather than, 'the life I now live in the spirit'?

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's speaking there of his physical body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:45 AM

    So, thru his sons and daughters God has the joy of expressing Himself by a variety of different personalities.. with those personalities cooperating in the expression? Like, sort of a branch expression of the vine. It gives a whole new meaning to why we are unique. It isn't for us.. it's for Him. Yet we are 'all' involved. When Jesus said His joy would be in us and our joy would be full.. we actually have His joy as our joy.. the real circle of life.. not the impersonal of eastern thought but the 'union personal' of Gal 2:20...Ultimately Personal...our reason for being...
    Good stuff . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are complete in Him. Each of us is a unique expression of Him and so our individuality has not been lost. In fact it is in Him that we find the full expression of ourselves. Gory to God in his resting place. Ps 122:1 Fufilled!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im in Africa and I dont use credit card,I like to have that book as soon as it is out.Start thinking of how I would get it.You can let me transfer money into your account to cover the price of the book and postage.We dont see such books in our bookstores here.You are blessed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fadeke - when the book is released, send me an email and we'll find a way to see that you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok thank you.I hope I will know when it is released through this website

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are individually complete as well. Colossians shares that through the Apostle Paul. It's about Christ making us whole from sin. Steve you are making me grow in grace through a walk by your teaching. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete