Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Not Going To Pray For Revival

Everywhere I go I hear Christians talking about how much we need a revival. Call me crazy if you want, but I don't agree. I seen revival. I've been in authentic revivals and I can tell you one thing about them that is always true: They come and go. They don't last.

When I was a boy, we would have "revival services" in the church twice a year. I must say that it was often a good experience. In fact, I'll be the first to admit that when we experience revival it brings a renewed zeal and enthusiasm within us. It is encouraging and it’s very uplifting. That has always been true of revivals in the Bible, but there's a glaring reality in the pages of the New Testament. Revival is never mentioned. Not once. In this new covenant, we’re capable of much more than revival. Revival is a solidly Old Testament, old covenant concept.

What we need is a revelation. That's what Paul prayed would happen to the New Covenant believers he loved. He said, "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints" (Ephesians 1:18) That's revelation, not revival.

Revivals fade away, but when we get a revelation of who Christ really is in us and who we are in Him - when it is revealed to us just how much He really loves us and just how big His grace toward us really is, that will never grow old, it will never fade away. That's exactly what the New Testament teaches. In 2 Corinthians 3:7-11, Paul is comparing the New Covenant with the Old Covenant, and here’s what he said:

If the ministry of death in letters written on stones came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses, because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to even be with more glory? For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. For indeed what had glory in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. For if that which fades away was with glory, much more, that which remains is in glory.


Paul was comparing the glory of the Old Covenant with the glory of the New Covenant. He said there’s no doubt when Moses encountered God on Mount Sinai, he was so revived by the experience that his face radiated, but the problem was it immediately began to fade away. In fact, he was so embarrassed about how fast it left him that he put a veil over his face because he couldn’t hold on to it. Paul said, that old covenant experience did have a measure of glory, but nothing compared to the glory that we understand in the New Covenant. There might be positive aspects to an old-fashioned (or to be more accurate, "Old Testament") revival, but why settle for that? We have the potential to receive New Covenant revelation!

When we receive this revelation of grace, this revelation of who we are in Christ, that revelation comes with a New Covenant glory that never fades away. It will never wear off and it won’t need to be repeated. I remember when I first began to understand the grace walk in 1990. I wondered if I'd cool down on this subject like I had with many other subjects that had excited me over the years. But I haven't. In fact, I'm more excited about God's grace today than I've ever been!

So the idea that we need a revival may sound good, but it is not true. What we need is a revelation of the grace of God of who we are in Jesus Christ. We need a revelation of His grace so that we know that we have received forgiveness for a lifetime. We need a revelation of the fact that nothing we will ever do could cause God to love us any more or any less than He does at this moment. To summarize, we need a revelation of grace! When we get that revelation, that is a wonderful glory that far exceeds revival. And best of all, it's a glory that will never wear off.

14 comments:

  1. I hate the word 'Revival'...well maybe more 'despise' it - however you want to 'biggy it'.

    It somehow suggests that Abba was here at one time and one of us (He or the Bride) was unfaithful....so we divorced. It is unscriptural. He neither leaves us nor forsakes us. He is living His life in us as living stones.

    Perhaps what those who use the word 'revival' are really looking for is a 'Movement of God - within man'. Who is the gatekeeper of that process?... See More

    'Revival' is a term for the 'Church Lady' who needs to know she is special...lol

    Alvin, one of those living Stone dudes.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Steve!

    And 'walking church'
    I hate the word 'revival' too. Whenever i hear it at a church meeting somewhere i want to vomit....It's been so overused - and used in a way to put guilt on people that this is why it sickens me.

    The 2 Chron7:14 verse is simply ripped out of context and used to apply to us in the New Covenant era in many churches and sadly few see that this doesnt' apply to christians.

    When i was a very legalistic naive young christian i used to read books by and about Charles Finney - but in the end was worn out from the guilt this kind of teaching led me to with it's constant need for us to have 'revival'.
    The word revival hints at also that man is more involved than God - and i believe is against the whole nature of Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,

    Great blog!!! However, I'm a little confused about this: You say that revivals in the Bible are always encouraging and uplifting, and then you say that revival is never mentioned in the Bible.

    I think I understand what you mean here as the revivals of the nation of Israel in the O.T. are uplifting, but the word "revival" isn't used??? Or maybe you mean something else all together????

    Sorry. I'm feeling kinda foggy this morning, so perhaps it's just me being dense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truely bold, Steve, and I totally agree with you! I started thinking bout this myself a couple of years ago, that revival is a typical temporarily, not lasting, old testament phenomenon....I appreciate that you dare say things like this, it is encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texas Girl- I said that "revival" is never mentioned in the NEW TESTAMENT (I didn't say "the Bible.") It's an Old Testament concept :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well yes but... what about the revelations that are born at revival? What about new believers getting introduced to the power of the Holy Spirit? the cities that are touched - without the Azusa revival our Christian history would be a little empty... Revelation is the thing and revival starts with one person at a time, it's true. But we're a little like old-time watches and our mainsprings begin to get a little loose and we need to get wound up.. I think we need a good revival every now and then - it's good for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you explained it very well Steve. That the revelation of Christ is the sustenance of the spirit of man for it reveals who we really are in the mirror of His word Jam 1:23. When Peter saw this glory on the mountain he tried to sustain the revival of his own heart by building 3 tents for the Law , the prophets and the Word. The glory of God now speaks through only one voice Heb 1:1-3. God’s true revival took place over 2000 years ago. After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. (Hos 6:2) It is out of this one act of God in Christ that the true revival came the rest is the revelation (unveiling) of this present reality in us.

    Ps the only revival in the NT is the revival of sin when we come back under the law Rom 7:9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great point, John! The only thing the NT mentions experiencing revival is sin- when we try to live by religious rules. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ezekiel mentioned the words of God were like a fire shut up in his bones. He could not help but tell it. Yes I concur this revival like Moses putting on a veil was OT. In the New Covenant we have a revelation of Christ within. Steve you are right on in saying THAT is all of what we need. Sovereignly of God true revival is like John said, a revelation or unveiling of this present reality! Jesus was full of grace and truth and that would mean 'liscence?' People have no answer. I also concur that NT revival is a fire of sin cropping in when we put works ahead of faith living. "Sin revived and I died" when I try in my own strength and effort to live holy or to live righteous! Thanks for the post Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I'm off in left field playing in the dirt. =) When I hear "revival" I actually think of unbelievers coming to Christ, and learning who they now are in Christ.

    I think of the revival of a people group (city, nation, whatever) and not a revival of a person. A revival of a person doesn't make sense. Revive means to make alive again. Believers are alive people, but we aren't an alive nation. As a nation, we need revival, but as believers, we do not.

    I think I would ask what the person that says "we need revival" means before saying I disagree with them. But I do agree with what you say in your post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm and this is random but I'm not sure revelation and enlightenment are the same thing. The revelation of God's word is there, whether or not we have been enlightened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the man-made shows called revivals(or "contrivals" as some of my friends and I used to call them) would emotionally charge folks up but it would soon fade like the face of Moses. Some so-called movements or revivals that people claim originated from God appear to be counterfeits under closer examination. I do anticipate that the Holy Spirit will bring more genuine spiritual gifts in conjuntion with the message of God's pure grace. I think He will be much more inclined to do so when the church bears spiritual fruit instead of spiritual nuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate: Revelation and enlightenment are very closely related. Revelation is an unveiling of that which is hidden - enlightenment is the illumination of things so they can be seen. Chirst is the light of the world but He is revealed or unveiled to us by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete