Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Is It A Sin To Be Depressed?

Some Christians think that victory in Christ means we are to always feel good, emotionally. Some even go so far as to say that it’s a sin to be depressed. These people make an unbiblical, inaccurate connection between their emotional feelings and spiritual victory in their lives. That is a disjointed connection. The dots just won't connect.

The truth is that you can be very low emotionally and still be strong spiritually. I used to think that it was a sin to be depressed emotionally until I studied the subject in the Bible and saw what the Scripture has to say about the matter. I found that there were many great saints of God who were depressed. The Bible in no way indicates that it was a sin. Depression is a sense of heaviness in the soul. Emotions reside in the soul, as do the mind and will.

Depression can be caused by a lot of things. There can be physiological reasons for depression. It could be because of a hormonal imbalance. It could be because of some sort of imbalance in the chemicals in the brain. There are circumstantial reasons why people can be depressed. If you’ve lost a loved one through death or suffered another type of great loss, depression can be a normal reaction to that kind of thing. There are different reasons why people would be depressed. Anxiety in our emotions is a normal part of the human experience, and sometimes people ask me, “Is it right or wrong for me to be depressed about this or that”? I usually respond to them by saying, “I’d rather not cast my answer in terms of right and wrong, but I’ll simply say this – its human, it’s natural that you would feel that way.”

Consider the biblical character, Job, when he was going through his great trials. Here's what the Scripture says about his situation in Job 23:1-9:

His hand (God’s hand) is heavy despite my groaning. Oh that I knew where I might find him, I’d come to his seat and present my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. I’d learn the words that he’d answer and perceive what he’s say to me. Would he contend with me by the greatness of his power? No surely he’d pay attention to me. There the upright would reason with him and I would be delivered forever from my judge. Behold I go forward, but he’s not there. And backward, but I cannot perceive him. When he acts on the left hand I cannot behold him. He turns on the right and I cannot see him.

Again and again in the book of Job, he expressed his negative emotions. He said things like “I wish I’d never been born” and “life makes no sense”. These nine verses in Job 23 are a very articulate and strong declaration of his emotional depression but listen to what he says in verse 10: “But he knows the way that I take and when he has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” There’s his declaration of faith. He was honest about his feelings but was also clear about his faith in God.

Don’t be judgmental of other people who are emotionally depressed, and don’t judge yourself for it if you go through it either. The idea that it’s a sin to be emotionally depressed is wrong. It is a part of the human experience. We choose what we do with the emotional reactions that we have in life and, make no mistake about it, we can have joy (which is different from happiness) in the midst of depression. If you believe that it's a sin anytime you experience depression, you'll set yourself up for self condemnation. On the other hand, if you believe that Christ is your peace and your joy in every situation of life, you will increasingly see that He will guide you step by step and embrace you even in the midst of your depression.

10 comments:

  1. Steve, this was so very good. i have been depressed most all of my life, and now have an obsessive behavior disorder. i have always thought just the oppisite. I used to think that God did not want me to feel good and when i felt good it was a form of pride and selfishness. I used to believe that i must deny myself of any type of pleasure and fun... See More. If i bought something at the store for myself i would feel under condemnation for not denying myself as scripture says "deny yourself and follow me." I thought God was frowning at me when i felt good, and when i was happy, that was my flesh. But now, since i read your book Grace Walk and Grace Walk Experience workbook plus the other workbook you wrote called Journey Into Intimacy the Lord is revealing His grace of His great love for me and how He wants me to feel good and gives me the desires of my heart and to have fun. God is turning my life around and i know now that Jesus loves me and is taking away all the legalism i experienced in my life. What a great and awesome God we serve. PTL
    Agnes Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace - I am so glad to hear how the Lord is healing you. You are living proof that His "love never fails!" Keep growing by keeping your eyes on Him. Your story will be very encouraging to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This meant so much to me! I love where you say that Christ is our peace and joy in every situation in life! No matter how bad things get or how bad I feel, nothing can steal my joy and peace in Him! Thanks so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Grace: Remember Jesus also said to love our neighbor as ourselves. We now know that this love for self comes from a healthy understanding of His love for us.

    Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 1Jn 4:10-11)

    Ps Don't be afraid to capitalize your i's God knows your heart better than you do

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post Steve. The fact that you had to ask the question regrettably shows how thick-headed some church-goers are. Afterall, it's a bit like asking Is it a sin to be crippled/blind/deaf? I mean if you really had faith, would you still be sitting in that wheel-chair/using that hearing aid/taking your medication? Thank God for Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Steve. You state that "its human, it’s natural that you would feel that way.” I agree to a point and that point is that we don't have to feel in a natural way, since we have a supernatural power now living in us, Christ Jesus. I believe our emotions merely react to happenings and circumstances; however knowing the Truth Who is in us, can cause us to dismiss those "feelings" of depression from allowing us to use them as an excuse. Now don't get me wrong, I understand depression. But when we use it as a crutch, an excuse, for our behavior, then where is our faith?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find praise lifts me from depression quicker than using depression as a crutch or excuse for behavior. We bring the sacrifice of praise, the fruit of lips that praise His Name. This is the victory that overcomes the world even our faith. Thank you SteveM for bringing the subject of subtle misuse in our thoughts we should look out for. "It's not a sin to be depressed!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. As one having dealt with depression for a long time, it is when I came to an understanding of grace that this spirit of heaviness left me. People that say depression is a sin are preaching the law and will bring people into deeper depression. I lost a friend to suicide because of this ignorance. A person's emotions cannot change apart from their inner core belief system. Out of the abundance of our heart comes what we speak to ourselves, it is also the thoughts out of the heart that drive our life. Lk 6:45 Prov 4:23 23:7

    When the law is preached the individual tries to modify thier behaviour, this is mental and never reaches the heart. The most dangerous opponent to grace is behaviour modification via the law. Until one is persuaded of the goodness of God by a true understanding of God's grace. They will only be telling their minds what they are taught but will never realize it and experience it in their hearts and in thier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like the way you put that and it helps me some

    ReplyDelete