Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Value of Laughter

When Nehemiah led the people of Israel to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem, they had a ceremony after the reconstruction was complete. Ezra, the priest, stood before the people and began to read the Law of God to them. As he read, the people were moved to tears and began to weep as they worshiped God. Nehemiah encouraged them with these words: “Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength” (Nehemiah 8:10).
Children naturally find strength in joy. I remember a joy I experienced as a young boy that generated a sense of physical strength in me. It was the joy of a new pair of tennis shoes. Paul Parrot Shoes sold a pair that had the personal guarantee of a talking parrot on the television commercial. Not only would he give you a free plastic egg filled with candy, but this parrot assured young customers that his shoes would “make your feet run faster, as fast as I can fly.”

On one occasion when my parents bought me a pair of shoes, I begged for Paul Parrot Shoes. When I got those shoes home, I put them on, laced them up and went outside to try them out. I timed myself as I ran completely around my house. It was true! I could feel the strength these shoes were giving me. I laughed out loud as I imagined Paul Parrot himself trying to keep up with my running if he were flying beside me. It was my fastest speed ever to run around my house. I had never actually timed myself before, but it didn’t matter. I just knew this was a record.

Do you want to find strength to “run and not grow weary?” (Isaiah 40:31) Then resolve to laugh and have fun. If anybody has a reason to do so, you do. The party in the kingdom of God is going on right now. Don’t be like the older brother in the story of prodigal son who stood outside and missed the fun. Come on in to the celebration and watch your strength grow.

Laughing at ourselves is a healthy part of a a godly lifestyle because reminds us that life doesn’t have to be taken so seriously. To laugh at yourself has the effect of a good dose of medicine. I have often laughed at my own weaknesses – my terrible sense of direction, my pathetic lack of mechanical skills, as well as many other things that I’m not secure enough to tell you right now!

Topping the list of causes to laugh at myself are the foolish things I have mistakenly said. There was the time in church after I had spoken when I wanted everybody to stand to their feet and bow their heads for prayer. That’s what I wanted. What I said was, “Will you please stand with your head bowed to your feet?” Later, some people told me that they thought I was beginning some sort of aerobics ministry right there on the spot. We all had a good laugh, especially me. My worst misspeak in church was when I was a young pastor teaching in church about what the Bible says concerning our responsibility to care for the older widows in the church. "The Scripture doesn't indicate that we have the same duty toward younger widows, probably because they're still young enough to get out and hustle for a living." As I watched the shoulders of the whole congregation start to shake with laughter in union as they tried to squelch their laughter, I realized what I said and remember that while I meant the word "hustle" to mean "work hard," they had another meaning of the word in mind. "You're all sick!" I finally laughingly said to the whole congregation.

Learn to laugh at your own idiosyncrasies and mistakes and you’ll discover that you can create a joyful atmosphere that’s literally refreshing.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Steve
    Here is something that I can laugh at now. The only reason I become aware to change my mind (repent) is because the Spirit is continually reminding me of who I am and what I have been given so that I may keep my mind out of the sewer of self-right legalism.

    I commented on your last blog “If we removed Greek, enlightenment and consumerism out of the church’s thinking, what would it look like? “ Quite frankly, who am I to ask Jesus what His church would look like? He knows exactly what He is doing!

    To keep this short, I asked Father, Son and Holy Spirit to keep my focus on the rest of humanity and off myself, no matter where I find myself in my own progressive freedom, so that I may come to love them all as He does. So I had a good Ha, Ha about this one as I cleaned of my shoes from all of my own self composing dung. Learning to grace walk! jg

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we only took ourselves half as serious as others do, we'd laugh more, relax more, and have a good time. Well you said it best Steve, "learn to laugh at your own idiosyncrasies and mistakes." Proverbs said, "Laughter does one good like a medicine." Proverbs says also, "everyone's laughter is their own but in harmonious unity and no one else intermeddles with their own joy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to have the freedom in Christ to be able to accept ourselves as we are? Laughing at oneself is a way to express this freedom of grace we have in Him. I certainly believe that when Father is watching me attempt to do plumbing or carpentry He has a good laugh. And I can laugh along with Him as He is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve I like what you said, "creae a joyful atmosphere that's literally refreshing." That will be as we laugh at our own idiosyncrasies and mistakes and we'll discover ourselves at a harmless position people around us can warm up to, relax around, and not think we're made of egggshells. We keep in balance of a proper view of ourself, not too proud, not too humble. We'll find strength to, "run and not grow weary," when we like the people of Ezra being read to of God's Torah, are moved to tears and begin to weep as we worship God hearing the joy too of the Lord is your strengtth. I love that comment of trusting children, "naturally find strength in joy," because we should sense the Kingdom within and around like trusting children rejoicing in an unexpected surprise like a "new pair of tennis shoes," from Paul Parrot. Great blog Steve.

    ReplyDelete