Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's Not True That Grace Is An Important Doctrine

"Why do you stress the grace of God, but don't talk much about His other characteristics?" I'm often asked. People often like to remind me that there's much more to theology than grace. "We need grace but there are other important things too," somebody recently said.

I think this kind of criticism misses the point altogether. Grace isn't an important doctrine that takes its place in line with other doctrines. Grace is the essence of the gospel. In fact, the Apostle Paul called it "the gospel of the grace of God" in Acts 20:24. The essence of our Triune God's DNA is grace. He has been and will always be a God of grace. To talk about grace is to talk about Him.

Some think they are making an admirable statement to say that grace is an important doctrine, but while asserting such a thing sounds complimentary it actually undermines the strength of grace. Grace is not an important doctrine. It is not to be put on a list of doctrinal teachings. It is from our Father's grace that every other spiritual reality we can know flows. Every doctrine and all our understanding of theology must recognize God's grace as the fountainhead of truth.

To suggest that grace is an important doctrine is like saying that breathing is an important part of my life. That would be an understatement of ridiculous proportions. Breathing is not an important part of my life. When Paul said, “For me to live is Christ,” he might as well have said, “For me to live is grace.” They are the same in essence. John said that Jesus came “full of grace.” (See John 1:14) It’s who He is, not something He does.

The word gospel means “hilariously good news.” What is this good news that Paul said he had been entrusted to share with those around him? It was the good news of the grace of God. So, we see then that grace is not an important doctrine. It is what gives the gospel it’s meaning.

Sometimes pastors have said to me, “This year we are focusing on grace in our church.” “What are you focusing on during other years?” I find myself thinking. Grace isn’t important. It’s everything.

7 comments:

  1. My experience is that most Christians definition of grace is very small. They would define grace as "being forgiven of our sins," and that is all.

    That's why a friend of mine recently said to me, "But what about God's wrath?!" He has an inadequate understanding of what grace is . . .

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, good, good!! Couldn't agree more. Grace is not a topic it is life!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy is that right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's True That Grace Is An Important Doctrine.
    Grace is everything.

    Thank you Steve~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gospeloflife- Either you misunderstood what I said or I am misunderstanding what you've said. Of course grace is everything. The point I'm making is that grace is not a doctrine - a biblical belief. Grace is a Person named Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was misunderstood. Very Sorry..^^

    Grace is not a doctrine - a biblical belief. Grace is a Person named Jesus. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) The fact that you thanked me at the end of your note caused me to think I might not be getting your point. No apology is necessary. Just wanted to clarify :)

    ReplyDelete