Search This Blog

Monday, November 09, 2009

Joe Cocker And Grace?

One time I was speaking at a conference on the subject of hearing our Father express His love to us in nonreligious ways when I asked the group, “Are you able to hear God speak to you if there is no religious tone who what you hear?” The audience waited for me to continue. “Close your eyes and listen to the song I’m about to play, “ I encouraged them. “Perhaps you have heard the song before, but this time, listen for the voice of the Divine Lover in it.”

Then, at a spiritual retreat, in a room filled with Christians, I played a recording by a well known rock singer, Joe Cocker. The words he passionately sang are, “You are so beautiful to me. You are so beautiful to me. Can’t you see? You’re everything I hoped for. You’re everything I need. You are so beautiful to me!”

As the song played, grown men and women began to cry. For the first time, many were hearing their Divine Lover’s voice from a source they had never thought to consider before now. For every person there, this song would never again be the same. God’s love had redeemed it and brought it into the kingdom as a gift for those who listened.

Does this concept seem uncomfortable to you? If so, consider this question: Why should Jesus Christ be restricted to only communicating to you in religious ways? He is Lord over all the earth and can use anything He chooses to express love to those who are His! One unmarried lady I know says that she listens to a radio station that plays nothing but romantic love songs and that she often hears the Lord sing to her through those songs. Who would tell her she is wrong?

I have experienced a sense of transcendent joy that couldn’t possibly find its origin in fallen man at times when I have heard certain non-religious music. I was enthralled as I watched a live performance of the musical The Phantom of the Opera. On another occasion, tears filled my eyes as I attended a concert by the great Italian singer, Andrae Boccelli, despite the fact that not one word was being sung in English.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not suggesting that every time we have a positive feeling, it’s God manifesting Himself to us. I recognize that our emotions can be manipulated by various influences. However, I also believe that Christians are sometimes guilty of dismissing the pervasive presence of Christ in this world by relegating experiences that aren’t directly religious as being “non-spiritual.”

I can almost imagine that when I listened to Andrae Boccelli in concert, Jesus was saying, “Isn’t this great? Steve, I love seeing how you enjoy this concert. I can’t wait until you get Home. I have even better ones waiting for you here.”

The world is our Father's pulpit. Let's learn to open our eyes and ears and listen for His melody of His love being sung to us from unexpected places.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderfully put, Steve! I have had the same experience many times. It really touches the depths of my heart when I sense God's love towards me through a song, a book or another medium. I believe He finds great delight in surprising us with His love in the most unexpected circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I have been so locked into the mindset that if it isnt "Christian" your wasting your time. Its God who loves you, not Joe Cocker! I like the fact that I am now "allowed" to listen to music. Let God live through me. I don't have to call my pastor and see what his take on certain music is before I can choose a song to listen to.

    I can see where people may perceive this type of living to be New Age or something, but I just don't have the desire to fight them on it anymore, I have a life finally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true Steve. I was just listening to a "secular" song the other day. We can hear man crying out for a love that is higher than they they presently possess. The desire is in the heart of every man and woman to be loved, and can only find its fufilment in God's initiave toward us apart from anything we have to do. Continue my brother to preach His grace and set the captives free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABSOLUTELY!! I think our misunderstanding on this subject comes from being brought up with the notion of the secular and the sacred, when in reality "the earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof.. the people .. and ALL that dwell therein"

    2 Corinthian's 3:18 is an example of this to me. I've always lived by water and I can't count the times the Lord has illuminated that verse to me through the glorious reflection of the sun on the ocean~~

    There's a song by RyanDan called 'Like the Sun' that expresses that verse like a 'Song of the Bride of Christ' to me.. 'we... with unveiled faces' [the veil of the law removed] reflecting the Lord's glory [like the water does the sun] being transformed with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit [and everyday you're telling me .. I am the one who makes you shine]

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Two songs, just recently, have been acquisitioned by the Lord to speak to me: 1) "You're Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady" and 2) Rogers and Hammerstein's "Do I Want You Because You're Beautiful?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great songs :) What other songs have the rest of you who read this heard Him sing to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dream Theater: The Best of Times. Particularly these lines:

    Your spirit lit my life every day
    Thank you for the inspiration
    Thank you for the smiles
    All the unconditional love
    That carried me for miles
    It carried me for miles
    But most of all thank you for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I've just been listening to, Joe Satriani's "You Saved My Life". Instrumental, but hey. Could add "Love Eternal" to that. I love music and these are just two favourites I thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronnie Milsap
    What A Difference You've Made in My Life

    What - a - difference you've made in my life
    What a difference you've made in my life
    You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
    Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade in my li-iiife

    What a change you have made in my heart
    What a change you have made in my heart
    You replaced all the bro-oken par-ar-arts
    Oh what a change you have ma-a-ade in my hear-eart

    Love to me was just a word in a song
    That had been way over-used
    But now I've joined in the singin'
    'Cause you've shown me love's true meanin'
    That's why I want to sprea-ead the new-ews

    What a difference you've made in my life
    What a difference you've made in my life
    You're my sunshine day-ay and ni-ight
    Oh what a difference you've ma-a-ade in my li-iiife

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember fondly Debbie Boone's, "You light up my life." I have a dvd video of Joe singing, "You are so Beautiful" and as well, "Up where we belong."

    ReplyDelete
  11. In regard to stumbling upon grace, I like a song by Peter Cetera on grace from a person in a relationship called, "Even a Fool Can See."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've spent most of my adult life in the radio business. I'm a bigger fan of the actual songs themselves than the singer. There is a beautiful Country love song that I've heard hundreds of times, but it never fails to move me. It's called "Then" by Brad Paisley (who happens to be a Believer). By the way, the song "You are so Beautiful" was written by Billy Preston...also a professed Christian.

    ReplyDelete