Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Negative Faith

Some people have a negativity being broadcast inside them practically all the time. Sometimes it is a conscious broadcast. At others it is subconscious. This negativity causes them to look at a scenario and immediately see the negative aspects of it.
“Do you want to get well?” Jesus asks them. They don’t even hear the question. Like the man beside the pool of Bethesda, their response is immediately a negative, “why it won’t work for me” type of response.

They are prophets of doom to themselves. “I’ve always been this way. It’s just the way I am. That could never work because . . . My situation is different.” They have a thousand reasons why things won’t change for them. They will say they wish thing could change, but then prosecute their own case by reminding themselves of all the reasons why things never will.

They are masters of imagining potential scenarios and superimposing a negative outcome onto them. Their tendency is to play out a scene in their mind that hasn’t even happened yet. It is borrowing trouble when none even exists at the moment. It is appropriating negative faith that things will turn out in negative way.

This kind of negativity is a sour note that will deeply affect any of us who hear it if we don’t change stations. Here’s how it happens: As the discordant background “music” plays in our minds, it creates a certain mood within us. That mood influences the way we think about things. When you combine the way a person both thinks and feels, together these create a certain paradigm on life – a negative one.

This negative paradigm determines our expectations when we face any situation in life. That expectation is nothing less than a reflection of our faith. Jesus said, “According to your faith, so be it unto you.” It becomes clear, then, that some of us are going through life expressing great faith – negative faith! Then we wonder why things don’t seem to “go our way.” According to your faith be it unto you.

Why did Israel wander in the wilderness for forty years? It was because of their negative faith. The Bible says, “they could not enter in because of unbelief” (Hebrews 3:19). Too many people have blamed God, other people, or just their own “bad luck” for not reaching their destiny, when the truth is that the fault lies squarely on their own refusal to believe in God’s basic goodness and in His desire to guide them in fulfilling His will. Are you waiting for God to act? Has it occurred to you that God may be waiting for you?

Have you been short-circuiting your life by appropriating negative outcomes in the situations you face in life? Is there an underlying AM (awful mentality) station playing in the background inside your head all the time? Change stations.

Faithless thinking doesn’t really exist because there is no such thing as an absolute absence of belief. Put any of us in any situation and we will begin to draw conclusions about our circumstances based on what we see. We will evaluate our situation and mentally predict how things are going to unfold as times progresses. In other words, we will come to believe that we know what our future will hold.

Those beliefs become our faith system. Once it is established, it becomes very hard to think outside the walls of expectation we have built around ourselves. We box ourselves in by our limited thinking, which developed through a human assessment of the details of our lives at a given moment in time. Functioning now from a negative faith, we begin to look for evidence in our circumstances to validate that our initial analysis of the situation was right. “See, I knew it!” we affirm when visible evidence tends to support our negative perspective.

The trap tightens its grip on us as we affirm again and again that “this is just the way things are” and as we appropriate hopelessness that things can ever change. Our faith, negative faith, grows by leaps and bounds. Every day seems to take us further from hope that things will ever change.

I’ve heard people say that we shouldn’t put God in a box. “Let Him out of the box!” they’ll challenge others. It’s not God who is in the box. It’s us. God is too big and too powerful to let our puny negative faith box Him in. Let’s not flatter ourselves by thinking that we are squelching God. “Come out of your box and believe Me and I’ll do “great and mighty things like you can’t imagine,” says our Father of grace. (See Jeremiah 33:3) Begin to expect things to go your way because God is “for you.” Recognize that God’s grace equals guaranteed success. Approach life with an optimistic expectancy, based on the goodness of God.

God once told Abraham, “I will give you the land as far as you can see.” There is an interesting principle embedded in that statement that raises a question: What can you see? Do you see life never advancing, never expanding? Maybe the only thing that needs to change for you to move boldly into the fulfillment of your potential is a change of focus.

Will you lay hold on the hope of fulfilling the God given dreams of your heart? The Apostle Paul did. He wrote, triumphantly, “Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope (Ephesians 3:20, NLT)! “Without wavering, let us hold tightly to the hope we say we have, for God can be trusted to keep his promise (Hebrews 10:23, NLT).

-- This article is an excerpt from my book, Walking In The Will of God. For more information about the book, click this link: http://gracewalkresources.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=555 The book is on sale this month.)

16 comments:

  1. Though you definitely hav a good point in this, Steve, you are walking on a thin line. There is a very short way from this kind of teaching to claiming that it's your own fault if you are sick or miserable. I know you don't teach or believe that, but many preachers do. I fell this could be interpreted to contradict the grace-teaching. Do you not believe that a negative, faithless, condemning, legalistic person also could experience the healing and restoration of God? Isn't that grace above grace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magne, I make an assumption that almost everybody who reads my blogs is familiar with my teaching and that, if they read something that might seem ambiguous, they will know my view would be a graceful approach. Your question causes me to think you are one who probably isn't familiar with my teachings. Yes, I believe people without faith can be healed. As you've said, it's grace. Thanks for visiting my blog and I encourage you to become familiar with the overall message I teach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am very familiar with your works, Steve, and I have been tremendously blessed by it! Both by listening to you and reading your books, I have read them all. I know of your graceful approach to life, to the bible and to people. You have contributed greatly to my own graceful view of the Bibel. And most of the things you say on this blog contribute in the same way.

    That's why I am asking if you see what I see, that what you write here, can be interpreted as contradicting the unconditional love and grace of God, as long as you put the responibility on the reader to be positive or negative and whether this will influence whether the blessing of God will reach you or not. I am thinking specifically on this statement: "Too many people have blamed God, other people, or just their own “bad luck” for not reaching their destiny, when the truth is that the fault lies squarely on their own refusal to believe in God’s basic goodness and in His desire to guide them in fulfilling His will"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, Magne. I'm glad you're familiar with my ministry! When I write my blogs I assume that, just as you didn't misunderstand my meaning but knew what I was saying because of your knowledge of my overall views, others will have the same discernment that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive thinking, positive living works if given the practice. The gospel of, Christ being Grace, enables all our positive attributes bringing us into rest in Christ Jesus. No longer bound to guilt, fear, worry, all the negative traps, but...
    We must act on it, stop the negative thinking and enjoy being in love. Experience selfless faith and excitement in absolutely everything life in Christ brings.
    Still our choice, experience the exhilarating grace walk or poor pitiful me walk.

    Challenge the pulpit with grace and love, reject the guilt trip, we are His saints and He is our High Priest, or Lord and Savior, He is The Great Giver.
    Our choice to get excited, yeah!
    If you havent' experienced His undeserved favor, I pray you give it a try, you will never go back to that doom and gloom life.
    If anyone can hear me, ask in prayer for the desire to learn the gospel, then rest in faith that the Holy Spirit will bring you that desire. Great place to be in love with our Creator.

    Thank you Steve for sharing the gospel with me too, may God bless you in His works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve,
    I was raised in a home with constant negativity all around me, I did not ask to be put in that invironment and I am now 45 yrs old, it is ingrained, so renewing my mind and I am still in the process. Children are like wet cement! The Israelites were in bondage for how many years? It was ingrained in them, this was new to them to see the positive, when constant negative was with them for so many generations, God heard their cry and delivered them, but when you have a wrong belief system ingrained, that is where grace must come in and lovingly direct a new focus for the negative thinker.

    Galatians 6:1 (The Message)

    Nothing but the Cross
    1-3 Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.

    This is a burden that I have carried and have by my own strength tried to change my thinking patterns, but wear myself out. I know the grace message, but, it is still there and need God's grace to deliver. The Israelites did not have the Holy Spirit, we do, so depend on Him to change negative thinking when we catch it and are aware we are in it. Doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes. Thank you Steve for your insight. What you said here gave encouragement:

    God once told Abraham, “I will give you the land as far as you can see.” There is an interesting principle embedded in that statement that raises a question: What can you see? Do you see life never advancing, never expanding? Maybe the only thing that needs to change for you to move boldly into the fulfillment of your potential is a change of focus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve,
    One more comment, I just thought this, It comes down to TRUST. Trust is a big factor in our negative thoughts. If we have been in abusive situations, which are definetly negative, we need restoration, healing, love, gentleness all being exibitied, leading us to trust thus a change in how we veiw things. Thank you Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve:
    You never really answered Magne on this one:

    That's why I am asking if you see what I see, that what you write here, can be interpreted as contradicting the unconditional love and grace of God, as long as you put the responibility on the reader to be positive or negative and whether this will influence whether the blessing of God will reach you or not. I am thinking specifically on this statement: "Too many people have blamed God, other people, or just their own “bad luck” for not reaching their destiny, when the truth is that the fault lies squarely on their own refusal to believe in God’s basic goodness and in His desire to guide them in fulfilling His will"


    As long as it's up to us to do something and not God doing it for us how can it be undeserved grace?

    I was flipping through TV and saw a preacher say if we don't praise God under all circustances we will never get out of whatever situation we are in.He said we shouldn't keep asking for help but act like we already have our help. Is that Grace?

    My life is a mess.....what can I do to get God to help me ?? Is there a secret formula of praise and positive thinking I need to do.

    I ask God for help everyday Many times. Am I missing something ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trust and focus, I like that! Like Luke Skywalker in Star Wars in his star ship cruiser was told, "Stay on target, stay on target," over and over in fighting the enemy. Fantastic blog Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave - Help me understand what you want to know. Are you asking me to clarify what I believe? Does what I wrote not make sense to you? Do you understand it but are concerned somebody else may misunderstand? Are you saying I should have written it more clearly? I thought I answered Magne sufficiently, but if there's something else you want to know I'll be glad to answer questions you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve:
    I want to know if it's up to me to think positive during awful times to recieve God's blessing how is that Grace? It shouldn't be up to me to think one way or another God's grace should be there no matter what. God's grace should help me reach my destiny no matter how I think. His grace should be me powerful than my thinking.

    What's your thoughts on thanking God for something you don't have yet to get that something. ie If a person needs a job and if he thanks God for a new job enough even though he doesn't have on now God will come through because you had enough faith to thank him in advance.

    And my last question is how do you define clinging to God. Everybody always says Cling to God....well what is it?

    I guess I'm looking for that 700 Club moment. Where you accept God a warm feeling goes through your body and all is well. I've been trying to get things straighted out for 25 years and nothing changes no matter how much I pray, praise,have faith or claim. I'm beginning to think I'm the one that God can't help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dave, we all interpret things through the lens of our past experiences and teachings. I wasn't trying to communicate a name-it-and-claim-it principle in the blog. The point I was making is that it is always counterproductive to be pessimistic when we have a Father who loves us and has everything under control. To cling to our Father simply means that we trust in His goodness toward us and know that He will work things out according to His plan. I didn't indicate that you won't be blessed unless you think positively. We have already received every blessing in Christ.

    My point is that we set ourselves up for a "miserable ride" when we see things through a lens of despair and gloom. Your Father loves you and is always going to do what is best for you, but we bring ourselves a lot of pain when we imagine a dark future, as if God has forgotten us.

    The objective wasn't to put a "must think positively" law on anybody, but to encourage readers by reminding them why they CAN think positively, regardless of circumstances, because we can all trust in our Father's goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, Dave, His grace IS more powerful than our negative thoughts. If you'll send me a private note with your address, I'll send you a copy of the book (as a gift) so that you can get the "big picture" of what I was wanting to communicate here. The first chapter is called "Somebody Bigger Than You Is In Charge."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate your questions and answers, Phil and Steve. My view of God has been shifting of late from a penal substitution view to more of a reconciliation view. Your explanation has helped me think more logically about where my shift might be heading (and why many will disagree with me).

    These days, I am not only trying to understand God 's grace historically but also for the future. Steve, you (and other Exchanged Life teachers) have some great teachings about God's grace in the O.T., but what about the grace of God in prophecy (for example, during the tribulation and 1000-year reign)?

    Is it beneficial for us to know how to apply God's grace to the book of Revelation (and other prophetic books)? I think it is. After all, almost one-third of the Bible is made up of prophecy, and yet I don't know of any grace preachers addressing this important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The grace of God and prophecy - hmmm. Good question. When you get it figured out, let me know because I don't have a clue anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you know there are seven "blessed"'s in the Book of Revelation and there is great grace in each? I think of God's grace in Daniel and Revelation and Jesus' words that "God will shorten the time." There is unmistakable grace in prophecy..Great going Texas girl. I'm leaning toward less of a penal substitution view as well.

    ReplyDelete