Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Resting In Agape

As we take this trip toward the Florida Keys this week, I am the first mate on board the trip. As I previously mentioned, I'm certified to skipper a boat, but the Agape is Roger's boat and his sailing experience stands over mine by an exponential distance.

The Captain of the boat is responsible for everything that takes place aboard the vessel. As I've sat by his side at the helm this week, I've felt at times like I needed to be doing more myself. I've not wanted to be a slacker on the trip and have had to fight the urge to try to find something to do while he navigated through narrow channels or did other "Captain duties."

Today, the thought hit me: "I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I am intentional in waiting for the Captain to give me instructions." When Roger asks me to do something, I do it immediately. I don't ask a question. I don't delay. I just do it. That's a crew member's role.

When I have no particular duty to do, my role is to simply enjoy the journey. I don't have to feel guilty that I'm not doing more. I don't have to try to find something to do. I'm just supposed to "abide in the Captain" and do what he says. If I have no specific orders, I just enjoy the ride.

That's exactly how it is in our journey with the Captain of our Salvation. As we abide in Him, we do what He says when He says to do it. Otherwise, we just relax as we enjoy the journey. We don't have to feel guilty that we aren't doing more. We don't have to try to prove ourselves. We just rest and enjoy life's journey.

In some ways, it's easier to be the Captain of the boat. At least then, we feel like we're doing something productive at every minute. But the truth is that in life we aren't called to be the Captain. We're called to rest in an eternal Vessel called Agape and just enjoy the ride with Captain Jesus. If there's something we need to do, He will tell us. In the meantime, feel the wind of the Spirit in your face and the sun of His love shining on us and relax. The joy of sailing isn't reaching your destination. It's the ride itself.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 PM

    LOVE IT !! Great Word !

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really good Iwill be back reading this post every day.will help me to relax and rest more.be better mom andwife. thankyou/ nettie ky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading this post everyday ,thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post encourages me I like the illustration you used.

    ReplyDelete