Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2009

Headed Back From The Keys

Yesterday we began our route headed back north after our sailing trip to the Florida Keys. This morning we are in Miami Beach, where the wind still makes it questionable as to whether or not we will be able to continue onward or have to wait another day until the seas settle down a little.

We read Acts 27 together yesterday, where the Bible tells about Paul's journey aboard a sailboat. The story ended with a great storm that caused the boat to break up so that the men all floated ashore on Malta, clinging to planks from the boat that broke apart. The whole island was converted after Paul got there - a reminder that divine ministry can come from any situation, even a shipwrecked life.

I've taught several times about how sailing is a metaphor for the grace walk. On land, we seem to have control of our own forward motion, which I've suggested depicts a legaslitic lifestyle of self-sufficiency. Once we abandon ourselves to the wind (the Spirit) and the water (The Word/Jesus), we have no illusions that we are in control anymore.

Safe sailing necessitates that you go forward as the wind leads you. To fail to cooperate with the wind can bring dire consequences - not because the wind is punishing you, but because you are experiencing the natural result of independence and pride. Happy sailing involves watching the wind and water and cooperating with what they are doing.

That's what we plan to do today. Will we go? Will we stay? We don't know yet, but we are willing to do either one, once the wind lets us know. So it is to be in life if we want a successful and enjoyable journey.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. McVey,

    I felt led to introduce myself to you today. My name is Andy Gann and I have read 40 or 50 of your blog posts over the last couple of months. I have to tell you that they are very insightful and have helped me in appropriating Christ as Life.

    About me ...
    I am 35, married, two kids and a lover of Jesus Christ. Last year, I lost a position in full-time ministry due to a besetting sin that had crippled my walk for years. In the time since losing my position, through Grace Fellowship International in Pigeon Forge - TN, I have come to know through experience who I already am by position (by grace through faith). Through discovering my real identity I have had a paradigm shift of what it means to be a child of The King, a member of The Body, and a servant in The Kingdom.


    Until two weeks ago, I had continued to attend and serve (on a volunteer level) at the church where I fell. But, because of a burden that The Lord has given me, I recently had to make the choice to follow His direction and will which meant leaving that church (which was a very difficult thing for me to do).

    See, The Lord has laid on my heart a desire for a one on one mentoring and discipleship movement. I have no idea what it will look like or how The Lord will build it, but, as a ship floating in Living Water which is being directed by the wind of The Holy Spirit, I know that whatever fruit will develop will truly be that of an eternal nature.

    Thanks again for your posts! God Bless!!

    By grace through faith ... your brother in Christ.

    Andy
    http://outoftheclay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be led as you move forward, Andy. Keep trusting and God's plan will be made clear.

    ReplyDelete