Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Making Excuses

In John 5, Jesus approached a man lying by the Pool of Bethesda who had been paralyzed for 38 years. The Bible says that occasionally an angel would come down and stir the water and whoever was the first one to get into the water was healed. When Jesus approached the man, he asked him, "Do you want to get well?"

At first glance, that seems like a strange question to ask a paralyzed man. "Do you want to get well?" One might guess the man would answer, "Of course I want to get well!" But that's not what he said. Instead, he answered, "I don't have anybody to put me in the pool when the water is stirred." Jesus hadn't asked the man why he hadn't already gotten into the pool. He asked him if he wanted to be made well, but the man responded with an excuse.

I've counseled people for over 35 years and have found that not everybody wants to be well. If they were well, they couldn't blame other people for their problems. They couldn't blame their circumstances. They couldn't blame themselves. They would have to assume responsibility and began to move forward in life. No, as strange as it may seem, not everybody wants to get well. Some would rather live as martyrs who think they just can't catch a break.

This man had given up hope. He had been in that same place for so long that he made the mistake of assuming his future would be just like his past. It was outside the realm of his paradigm that Christ might step onto the scene and change everything in an instant.

Many today make the same mistake. We think that nothing will ever change. After all, life has always been this way and we can't imagine why it won't keep being this way. When we adapt this mindset, we have lost sight of the greatness and grace of the One to whom we belong.

Maybe you've been given to making excuses in your life. Perhaps you've lost hope in the midst of debilitating circumstances. Take heart! Jesus sees you in your need and wants to help you. Cast off your excuses, trust Him and rise up and walk.

(This blog was taken from a message I shared a few weeks ago on Sunday Preaching. Last week there were over 500 computers logged in to watch the message. Some people gathered together in groups to watch. Join us this week at www.gracewalk.org at 5:00 EST for Sunday Preaching! If you can't join then, I leave the message up all week for you to watch at your convenience.)

6 comments:

  1. Steve:

    This kinda goes along with your "anointing" blog. Remember when the latest fad in the Christian world was to take a test to discover your spiritual gift. This was around the time that God had revealed the truth of Grace to me. I had been out of the "Church World" for quite some time, so this was a rude awakening that I was back when a pastor insisted that in order for God to use me I MUST take the test to find out what my spiritual gifts were. He said that I was basically of no use to God if I didn't have this knowledge.

    I never took that test. It's hard to believe that God has been able to do anything through me since I didn't... yeah right :D

    I knew that if I took that test I would be making it about the gift and not about the Spiritual. That the temptation for ME to use my GIFTS instead of letting GOD use ME would be too great.

    And that when God wanted to do something through me that was outside of my "gifting" I would be tempted to make an excuse of why He couldn't: "But God, that's not my gift. I can't do that."

    At that time in my journey I was not mature in Grace. The knowledge of what my giftings were would have been a stumbling block that would have prevented God from having the freedom to use me anyway that He desired.

    At first, God worked through me almost totally outside of my giftings. I believe it was so that He could grow me in Grace and bring me to the place of putting absolutely no confidence whatsoever in my ability, in my giftings, in anything or anyone other that my God in whom I have all confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting insight on the passage. As you touched upon, I've known those who've embraced their problem(s), and coddled them like a baby. There is a type of warped contentment among some who actually aren't happy unless they're unhappy. It's a sad state, and prevents them from experiencing the true freedom found in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve for the sunday preaching I have told others about it and how it is availble all week I hope those who receive the grace will sow into your ministry as a grace giver at any level .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't mind, but I posted this on my Facebook - with credit to you of course. Thanks for reminding me that it is easier for me to yeild to God when I am going through trials...but by not trusting him, when he is showering me with blessings...I am not yielding. Thank God that my future doesn't have to mirror my past. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy for you to post it, Kat. Grace really is amazing, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Beau. I share that hope :) Thanks, bro.

    ReplyDelete