Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What I've Been Reading

I just finished reading The Soloist by Steve Lopez. It is the true story of Los Angeles Times staff writer Steve Lopez friendship with Nathaniel Ayers.

Lopez first encountered Ayers when he saw him on Skid Row in L.A., playing a two-string violin. Thinking there may be a story there, he met Ayers and began to uncover an amazing story about the mysterious street musician. More than thirty years earlier, Ayers had been an up and coming classical bass student at Julliard. Little by little, he lost his ability to function as he was overcome by a mental breakdown.

Lopez sets out to change Ayers' life, only to experience one frustrating experience after another as he learned how hard it was to deal with Ayers mental illness. The book shows how that, in the process of selflessly trying to change Ayers' life, his own life is profoundly changed.

In the end, Lopez learns that the most important thing of all is to show love to Ayers. One doctor tells him, "Relationship is primary. It is possible to cause seemingly biochemical changes through human emotional involvement. You literally have changed his chemistry by being his friend."

This true story is a wonderful example of the redemptive power of love. It shows how unconditional love has the power to transform people's lives, even if it's a street person with serious mental problems.

The story will be told in a movie by the same name, opening in theaters in March. I certainly plan to see it.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a good book, and movie. Thanks for the heads up.

    This is my first comment but I do come by often to glean. I am new to the grace journey and soaking up all I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the confirmation. We saw the preview to the movie and noted that it was one we wanted to see.

    Have you seen the 2007 movie, "The Visitor"? We rented it not long ago and enjoyed it. From seeing the preview for "The Soloist" we thought that these two movies had similar themes, the healing powers of relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard, Silent Wings! I hope you'll fined encouragement here.

    Debbie, I haven't see that movie, but I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Steve!

    I have just finished The Shack by W. P. Young. What an incredible narrative about God's love. I am stunned by the wisdom the book conveys. The story also touched me profoundly. But, most important the book drew me closer to God's heart. I have watched some of the warnings on You Tube concerning this book, but those preachers have not managed to rob from me the joy and peace I am now experiencing due to Young's beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Ole. It really spoke to me, but I've taken much criticism for saying that publicly. I read it like a poetry book and was blessed. Some read it like a systematic theology and were offended. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear that you have received much criticism for your support to the book, even though it does not surprise me, unfortunately. Do you believe there is any possiblity that you in the near future will visit Norway and OKS again? It would have been such a privilege to hear you "live" again, and perhaps met you face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ole, when I'm invited to Norway again, I will most definitely say yes :) In my opinion,Norway is the most beautiful country on the planet. We did the "Norway In A Nutshell" tour a few years ago when we were there and loved it. Saw the fjords on a boat trip, traveled through the mountains by train and bus. It is an awesome place. Met many wonderful grace-walking Christians there, especially at Oslo Christian Center.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see the movie? This is later than March writing this. I thought it was excellant! Good blog! Dave

    ReplyDelete