Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

People often ask me, "What are you reading right now?" I've always read a lot. I seldom read one book at a time. Right now, I'm reading these three:

My friend, Mike Quarles, gave me this book after I spoke about Luther during our Grace Walk Leadership Summit in Canada last month. I am really enjoying it. It is a modernized version of Luther's commentary on Galatians. I strongly recommend this one.


My friend, Dave Lesniak, gave me this book because he was greatly impacted by it. I'm about half way through it and find it to be a very encouraging and instructive book about one-on-one discipleship.


I bought this book after seeing the author interviewed on TV. It's a memoir written by a Jewish man who married the daughter of a Methodist preacher. He describes his year long pursuit to understand "the world of Christians." So far, it's okay but nothing I'd recommend spending the money on. It seems that he sought out Jerry Springer type Christian activities as opposed to exploring more mainline Christianity. To be fair, I'm not finished with it but his writing about attending "Christian wrestling matches" and places where there were "Christian mosh pits" seems to suggest that he sought out the extremes among us. It comes across to me like,"Yep, that's those Christians for you."

For over 20 years I used to read three books a week. I don't do that now because I spend time writing that I used to spend reading.

4 comments:

  1. I have to budget time to shave and brush my teeth in the morning and your reading 3 books a week, thanks Steve rub my nose in it.

    Best
    Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonard, what you don't know about are the "behind the scenes" conversations like, "You said you wanted to watch this DVD with me, but you're not watching it. You're reading.I would have picked the love story, not this action movie that you wanted and aren't even watching!" "No, honey. I'm doing both. I'm watching it. I'm just glancing at this book too." "Yeah, right." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Us Multitasking guy's, I'm begin to think were just not appreciated...

    A friend of mine says, her husband says, his potty reading is his ultimate multitasking. He's a farmer so he oughta know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll plead the 5th on that :)

    ReplyDelete