Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Miracle In The Marathon

Our daughter, Amy, has had a burden for missons since she was a little girl. When Melanie and I came back from Swaziland and Amy heard the report we gave of our time there, the Lord really touched her heart. She wrote the note below about the marathon she will run this weekend in Orlando to raise money for the children in the village of Mafutseni. I'm really proud of her. (The picture above is Amy and Melanie approaching the finish line at at 5k race they ran together a few months ago.)

Amy writes:

When I first began to hear what was going on in Swaziland I knew immediately I was meant to help and I began to pray. Each day this village and these children began to consume my thoughts.

After a week I found myself becoming angry. I went to God and asked "Why in the world would you even let me know about this when you know I can’t do anything about it? Dad can travel all over the world and back. Other people can give financially. I’m a homemaker with 3 small children, and no money. I can’t hug them I can’t give them money, encouragement, nothing! Why would you give me all these desires when you know I can’t do anything.”

Then the Lord told me, “You can’t but I can through you.” I remembered a conversation my dad had told me about when the council in Swaziland met about the state of the people, the children, and the village. After the discussion, several of the chief’s council were wiping tears from their eyes and one man stated, “unless a miracle happens we will not survive.”

With that lingering in my mind Miracle in the Marathon was born. I began training for a marathon in July and taking sponsors for my run. I have never run a marathon before so I’m really nervous. One hundred percent of the profits will go to the children in this village. So I want to give you the opportunity to give.

I’ve had donations both great and small. The most touching donation I’ve had so far was from my daughter. She overheard me on the phone discussing the children in Swaziland and went upstairs to her room and emptied her piggy bank and came to me with 35 cents in nickels and pennies and asked, “Will this help them mama.” It made me think of the story in Mark 12:41-44:

41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

What a precious gift. This is exactly what I hope will happen, that people will become moved to help whether you have hundreds to give or thirty five cents. How awesome to be partakers in his divine nature. Please be part of making this miracle happen.

Running in Faith,
Amy Harvison

No comments:

Post a Comment