Search This Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Growing To Know Less


When I was a young man, I knew everything. At least I thought I did. I have often said that back then I held the office of “Doctrinal Deputy.” I policed what others believed and stood ready to indite them if there was as infraction of the law. When it came to doctrine, knowing truth from error was a simple thing. The truth was what I believed. Otherwise, why would I believe it? If anybody needed to know the definitive answer to any theological question, all they had to do was ask me. I had the answers. I even had answers to questions that nobody asked.

As I’ve grown older something has happened that I never expected. I think I may have as many questions as I do answers. If you had told me when I was a young pastor that this would be in my future, I would have argued with you outwardly and inwardly would have hoped and prayed it wasn’t true. I would have seen your prediction as a prophecy of my own apostasy. After all, I would have reasoned, a person knows more and more as he gets older, not less and less. Boy, was I wrong.

I could make a long list of things I was sure of back then which I ultimately came to learn were dead wrong. I discuss many of those false beliefs I held in Grace Walk. Some of the things I built my life on were as far from biblical truth as a person can be.

In 1994, when I left the pastorate and began traveling, it didn’t take long for me to realize that not everybody grew up in the denominational world I did or held as common knowledge the doctrinal specifics I had been taught. I discovered that, within the body of Christ, there was a tremendous difference of opinion about many things. Spiritual gifts, when and how Jesus is coming, the place of women in the church, what a Christian can wear, drink, say, think and where we can go and not go, forms of church government, styles of worship . . . the list goes on and on.

The amazing thing about the diversity I saw was that people who held firmly to beliefs that stood in stark contradiction to the things I had always been taught were as sincere about their beliefs as I was. Some of them believed what they did for the same reason I had – because they had been taught that all their lives. Others, though, came to their viewpoints after open minded study of the Scriptures.

I’ve always loved lively discussion and debate, so I found myself engaging with these people about a variety of topics. As I did, to my surprise, I found myself changing my mind about some of the things I had always believed. I saw myself holding a looser grip on my opinion about other matters that I had been completely convinced about in the old days. There were even some biblical questions that I just had to put on the shelf, with the attitude, “I don’t know what I think about this anymore.”

Some of my friends and colleagues from the old days still think I have compromised. I’ve learned that there is a sense of stability in thinking you have it all figured out. Take away absolute certainty and people become afraid. Don’t misunderstand. I’m still certain about many things – the finished work of Christ, my heavenly Father’s love, who I am in Him – I could make a long list of the things I’m certain of too.

It’s just that, as time has passed, I’ve realized I don’t know as much as I used to think I knew. I find myself learning to live with questions which may or may not be answered in this life. When asked what I believe about specific topics, I often answer, “I don’t know. I haven’t studied that subject since I got my grace eyes.”

To my surprise, I’m completely comfortable with knowing less, not more, as I’ve grown older. Being willing to admit that I don’t know some things causes me to be teachable, allowing me to grow. People who already (think that they) know everything can’t learn and, consequently, can’t grow. I hope I spend my lifetime learning and growing.

When I began to understand my identity in 1990, I turned in my Doctrinal Deputy badge. I’ve decided I’d rather be a disciple than a deputy.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful.

    I didn't become a Christian until I was 24 and in grad school. The appeal of still more stuffing for my growing intellect induced an appetite to know all things biblical...then I'd really have it together.

    It was a couple of years before the Spirit interrupted my pride by introducing me to Jesus. I fell in love with Him, and my bible reading became a way to know and enjoy Him, and less a way to make sure I was "on my game."

    While I still wrestle in that battle, the freedom and grace I found in just wanting to know Him has kept me (or drawn me) to simplicity, even when I'm with people. I'm not so quick with an answer anymore as I am with a listening ear and an open heart for God to make Himself evident. I know plenty, but it's Him they want...me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic and I agree, 100%!!! That was so well said and written. You are a tremendous blessing to my life. A friend of mine who is a pastor told me about you and I've been eating up the devotions daily, and sharing them with my daughter as well! We can't get enough!! Thank you so much and I thank the Lord for you. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

    May God continually and richly bless you and your family,

    Sheryl Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    Thank u 4 simply sharing what I have been expereincing. I always thought I knew everything there was to know about Jesus but how wrong I was. Everyday I seem to know less contrally to what i thought before the Lord graciously revealed his grace to me.
    You've been a great encouragement in this grace walk and I thank the Lord for his ministry of LIFE through you and your family. Irene - UGANDA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking this way for quite some time, challenging my beliefs.

    My new motto is, "I believe Jesus is who He said He is, and did what He said He did. Everything else is open for discussion."

    ReplyDelete