Search This Blog

Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Great Fiction Trilogy






I've never been a big fan of reading fiction. I'd rather read nonfiction books, but a friend recommended these three books to me with such enthusiasm that I decided to give them a try. Am I ever glad I did.

These books are in Ted Dekker's series called "The Circle Trilogy." Once I was a hundred pages into Black, I absolutely could not put them down when I had a single free moment. I consumed these books and enjoyed them more than I've enjoyed anything in a long time.

Black
hits the ground running and never lets up. The hero, Thomas Hunter, is living an insomniac nightmare. Every time he goes to sleep in one world, he awakens in another. Hunter learns, in one world, of a plan to unleash a deadly virus by a pharmaceutical company that owns the only vaccine; from the other world he tries desperately to prevent the annihilation. When I finished this book I picked up Red, as if I were turning the page to the next chapter. I couldn't help myself.

In Red, Hunter finds himself again torn between two realities after a 15-year respite from his dreams. Pitted against the New Allegiance, which has intentionally spread a deadly virus known as the Raison Strain that threatens to destroy the modern world, he launches a desperate search for the scientist who can provide the vaccine. In Hunter’s other world, the savage Horde with its loathsome skin disease is on the brink of overpowering the Forest People, who hope for Elyon’s deliverance. But the Forest People’s "Great Romance"-love of Elyon-has degenerated, and when the controversial, messiah-like Justin proposes a truce, things quickly disintegrate.

In White, Thomas Hunter has only days to survive two separate realms of danger, deceit, and destruction. The fate of both worlds hinges on his unique ability to shift realities through his dreams.

Now leading a small ragtag group known as The Circle, Thomas finds himself facing new enemies, never-ending challenges, and the forbidden love of a most unlikely woman.

Enter the Great pursuit, where Thomas and a small band of followers must decide quickly who they can trust--both with their own lives and the fate of millions. Dreams and reality quickly bleed into each other as time runs out. And neither the terror of Black nor the treachery of Red can prepare Thomas for the forces aligned against The Circle in White.

If you like fiction, or even if you don't, I can almost guarantee you will love these books. They are filled with metaphors that communicate spiritual truths in a unique and powerful way. I found my eyes filling with tears when I read about the crucifixion of Christ in Red. The amazing thing is that neither Christ nor the cross and crucifixion are ever mentioned. You just know what you are reading.

You can get the books at almost any local bookstore or buy them online.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,
    I'm a big fan of Ted Dekker's novels and the Circle Trilogy is hands-down my favourite series! FYI - he has another 2 novels on the way: the Saint (releases in October) and Skin (which will release next year sometime).
    I look forward to reading more of your blog!
    P.S. My pastor (Grace Walk Canada National Director) sent this link to me - I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete