Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Grace Versus Religion

There's an interesting story in John 8 that shows just how low religion can sink. Jesus had been telling people about how He was the Light of the world and how that when they came to know the truth, they would be set free. As He showed them that it wasn't their religious background or affiliation that gave them status with God but that it would be their relationship to Him that mattered, the Jews began to become more and more angry. Tell a self-righteous person that his religious achievements don't impress God and you're setting yourself up for a fight.

The first thing they did was to try to defend their connection to Abraham in an attempt to set forth their religious pedigree. Jesus plainly pointed out to them that their religious identification didn't seem to be making any difference in causing them to live a life of faith in God. "If your relationship to Abraham is such a big deal, why isn't it affecting the way you live?" Jesus asked in so many words. (See John 8:39)

That was all it took. Now, He had gone and insulted their self-righteous pride. Mess with a man's religious identity by telling him that God isn't impressed and that it's not doing him or, for that matter, anybody else any good and you're asking for trouble. The problem they faced was that they couldn't deny that what Jesus said was true. So they took the defensive strategy that religion always takes when cornered. They attacked the messenger.

"Oh yeah?" they chided. "Well, at least we weren't born of fornication!"(See John 8:41) Of course, they were referring to the fact that Mary, the mother of Jesus, wasn't married to Joseph when she conceived by the Holy Spirit. Their attempt was to shut Him up by trying to embarrass Jesus, even shame Him by pointing out what they believed to be a deficiency in Him.

Make no mistake about it - this weapon from hell is still often used against those who boldly stand for the truth of God's grace. Authentic grace and performance-based-religion are like baking soda and vinegar. Try to introduce grace to self-righteous pride and a reaction is sure to erupt. When the message you share is iron-clad (and the message of pure grace is biblically sound), don't be surprised when the attack is turned against you.

I've heard it all myself. I've been accused by some people of not believing the Bible, of trying to establish a denomination with myself as the leader, of founding a new cult (called McVeyism by this particular critic), of lacking credentials, of being arrogant, of merchandising the gospel. The list goes on. My two favorites are "How can that guy teach the message of Christ living through us when he's overweight?" and "Steve McVey is a liar with a bad haircut."

Then there are the internal accusations - the ones that have come into my mind through the years. Those are much more personal, cruel and painful, even though I know they aren't true. Have you heard those accusations in your own mind?

Whether the voices that seek to silence us are external or internal, we will do well to remember one thing. We are in good company when these kind of attacks come, for the Lord Jesus Himself faced such moments. If you continue reading in John 8, you'll see that they finally accuse Him of being demon possessed. (See verse 48). The enemy will stop at nothing in trying to silence anybody who proclaims the pure truth of God's love and grace in a world of self-righteousness.

We are in a battle in our efforts to spread the message of grace. It's not a battle with flesh and blood either. This is a revolution and revolutionaries are often fired upon. The reality is that it goes with the territory. Much is at stake and the enemy of our souls will not stand idly by while we advance the Kingdom of God by spreading His love and grace.

If you feel attacked, you're not alone. If you feel belittled at times, you're not alone. If you feel alone, you're not alone! Let's join our hearts and hands and stand strong. We aren't fighting for victory. We are fighting from Victory and He assures us that through Him we will prevail.

In the thick of the battle, hymn-writer and gospel preacher, Isaac Watts wrote these words three hundred years ago that still serve us well today. May they be an expression of our own hearts.

Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause
Or blush to speak His name?

Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease?
While others fought to win the prize,
And sailed through bloody seas?

Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace,
To help me on to God?

Sure I must fight, if I would reign
Increase my courage, Lord!
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy word.

Thy saints, in all this glorious war,
Shall conquer, though they die;
They view the triumph from afar,
And seize it with their eye.

When that illustrious day shall rise,
And all Thy armies shine
In robes of victory through the skies,
The glory shall be Thine.

12 comments:

  1. Wow steve , I know what you meen . I have been accused of being a hieratic . People always fight me and "dog" me all the time ,But I believe in the finished work of jesus ive read it for myself in the bible ! I have often wondered why so many people reject this GOOD NEWS ! Brother ! don't let it get you down ! BTW - I thank you for your ministy . I was about ready to give up on all this junk untill i was guided by god to yours and others like yours ministry ! don't ever forget that !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. That was encouraging. I often do feel attacked when trying to speak about Grace to my more religious friends and family. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve
    How your words resonate with me! The “Good News” of humanities inclusion in new spiritual created life in Jesus (grace) is profound and freeing. This light is here today and exposes all my own deep caverns, those hiding places that I have tried to boulder shut, where only I thought I could hang out, and it has opened the mouths of the religious groupies who have spewed out there own venom. Religion with all the slander, hatred and accusations comes from people who live in their own delusion and illusion, in their own dark places.

    However, “Good News’, Jesus was and is never absent, for we all live, move and have our being in Him! It is the only way we even come to see that our darkness cannot overpower The Light! It’s a relational thing! We were all his enemies!

    Relationship has to have the proper foundation and this can only be found in Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for they are ultimate relationship, and they chose to set up camp, the Incarnation in the here and now, in the midst of our own darkness and confusion, so that we could be healed. It’s about relationship and learning to love our enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the 'arrogance' accusation too.

    It goes like this: "You don't believe what all of us believe and you're the only one here who believes like you, so you are arrogant."

    It disturbing most of the time. Yet, if (1) I used to believe exactly like them and changed to this, and if (2) I still calmly listen to what they believe every week, and if (3) they won't even listen to me for an hour...where is the arrogance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how our Father did not stop any of what you've describes here in John 8 to his Son, in fact, I see it being a demonstration of His love in allowing it all to touch Jesus' life.

    I am seeing with increasing clarity the need for this or whatever to touch our own lives as well, why, to prove to us whether "grace" is but a verbalized concept without being 'gracious" toward those throwing stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever being flogged? spat at? has anyone put a crown of thorns on your head? ever being stoned and left to die? has anyone at least threatened to kill you?... whats the point? don't compare yourself to Jesus and the first century apostles just yet.. unless of course you can answer yes to anyone of the above... The one thing I don't understand about Grace teachers is that even though they preach grace and all.. they can't understand true love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie my brother,

    I've read what you wrote several times now; this is -all- I know about you.
    ...Do you think that I, or anyone else, can read only what you wrote here and then believe that you 'understand true love'? Would it appear that you knew Gal 6:1 and tried to 'restore Steve in a spirit of gentleness'?

    People are usually just mislead, honestly mislead; even their teachers are mostly just mislead. It is good to correct them and to say what is true, but it is best heard when said gently.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Bonnie,

    What on earth are you talking about? Are you saying that grace should not be taught? Or are you suggesting that only someone who knows true love is qualified to talk about grace? Or someone who has been persecuted to the degree of Jesus and the first century apostles?

    All you did was tell people not to compare themselves to Jesus or the apostles unless they have experienced extreme persecution, and secondly you accused Steve of not knowing true love. What point are you trying to make and how does what you said benefit anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve ,
    I forgot to mention that I have a family member so steeped in self rightious christian religion that they have completly rejected me and will have nothing to do with me because of my beliefs . and I have another self rightious family member who may have rejected me Im not sure yet .Maby it's the way I presented it to them . I admit that I became self rightious telling them about their self rightiousness 'but it angered me that they think they are so good and everyone else to them is bad (I know all about their past and I assure you they were far from "good" ) Anyway it did realy hurt alot to loose them .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dan,
    Take it easy with Bonnie,he doesn't seem to understand grace yet.May the Lord open his eyes of understanding

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Fadeke,

    Thanks for the reminder,I agree. The tone of my questions is not meant to be taken as harsh, just probing and somewhat rhetorical.

    ReplyDelete