Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Bible As A Barrier

Jesus once said something to the Pharisees that sounds strange at first. The Pharisees were known for their knowledge of the Bible and had a reputation for their meticulous attention to doing what it says. A good Pharisee had much of the Old Testament Scripture committed to memory. They were recognized as authorities on the Bible.

It was to that group that Jesus said these words: "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life" (John 5:39-40). "You diligently study the Bible," Jesus said, but then He goes on to tell them how their Bible study had no productive value in their lives at all. "The Bible serves its purpose by bringing people into an intimate relationship to me, but you've missed that fact completely," is the point He was making.

To the Pharisee, studying the Bible was an end unto itself. They studied the Bible to know the Bible. It was the final authority on their faith and actions. The problem was that the Pharisees turned the Bible into a manual for living. Jesus minced no words in making it clear that they had become blinded to Him by their own Bible study.

It's a strange phenomenon but not one that has passed away with the decline of the religious sect called "the Pharisees." I grew up being taught that the group to which I belonged were "people of the Book." That's how we identified ourselves. I read the Bible to learn the Bible - to understand its content - to know how I was supposed to live. I used to say, "I live by the Bible."

It all sounds so right on the surface that it's impossible to see the flawed logic of such an approach apart from the Holy Spirit opening our eyes to our error. It is not your Father's intent that you live by the Bible. It never has been. Paul described the proper protocol for living when he said, "the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

We are not to live by the Bible, but are intended to live by the life of the indwelling Christ. The Scripture can give us no life at all. "You think that by them you possess eternal life," Jesus told the Pharisees, clearly making that point that life doesn't come from the Bible but from Himself.

I know it's risky business to talk this way in the climate of the modern church. If you've been taught that the Bible is the pinnacle of your walk with the Father, then it may sound to you like I'm diminishing the Bible but I'm not. I'm exalting Jesus Christ. I believe the Bible but also think it's important to know what our Bible is intended to accomplish.

The Bible became a barrier between the Pharisees and Jesus because they thought that Scripture was to be their final destination. Many think the same today, but it's not. The Bible isn't our destination. It's a sign post, pointing us toward our Destination, which is Christ Jesus.

C.S. Lewis once described how that when he pointed toward something and said to his dog, "Look at that!" the dog didn't see what he was pointing at. Instead, his dog looked at the end of the index finger Lewis used to point. That's how many people have become with their Bible. They don't understand that it serves to point them to their God, not to itself.

As we read and study the Bible, let us pray that the Holy Spirit will open our eyes to see our Triune God and His love for us. If all we see are doctrines to be learned, Greek words to be parsed, church history to be understood and religious rules to be followed, we've missed the point altogether. The Bible isn't a text book. It's a photo album with pictures of Jesus on every page. Until we see Him in our Bibles, we haven't looked closely enough.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks, Steve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happened to me.

    My problem at the time was that I did not understand the New Covenant well enough, nor did I understand how large a difference there is between Old and New. As a result, I accepted more and more Old Covenant bondage, that which Paul called the 'yoke of slavery'.

    So the Bible was given to me to help me, but I misunderstood it and misused it to hurt myself and others. Eventually God corrected me, thank the Lord !

    Anyway, if you read this, please don't make the same mistake I did. If you are making that mistake, I suggest reading what Paul says happened to you when you were saved; this is generally most clearly found in the 1st half of each of his letters. I also suggest the letter to the Hebrews up to the last chapter.

    Once you get a good handle on what Paul says happened to you when you were saved, I suggest reading the rest of those same letters. These are mostly about what believers DO, after salvation and AFTER Paul had laid the groundwork in the first half of the letter. It was because that groundwork was not smoothed and cemented and dried that I had my problems; please don't do what I did: let that groundwork be done first.

    I needed to understand the New before I started living the New. When I got saved, I really only understood the Old. So, when I read the New, I read it with Old blinders on ... always seeking out something that God wanted me to DO, rather than first enjoying what God had made be to BE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve! This is timely for me! I was starting to beat myself up for not following what the bible says and had even gone as far as thinking that God loved me less coz i wasn't paying attention to his Word!
    I am blessed!
    Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for relating this truth. For many years I was a fundamentalist because that was the church I was raised in. I was not a dispensationalist, but I didn't see anything that wrong with believing that if you wanted to believe that- the idea that scripture is God's final revelation to man and that God does not speak to people today personally.

    I would have said they were only cheating themselves, but this post makes plain that is a far more grave error than merely missing out on the gifts of the Spirit. They may very well miss the Spirit Himself.

    I will be thinking about this post for some time, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a whole lot of people who, trying to be cutesy, proclaim the B.I.B.L.E as Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth- modern day Pharisees. Thanks for the post Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Well said Steve. I've been down that road before - trying to find all of the answers to life's tough questions by studying bible principles, and trying to figure out what all of the stories mean, rather than consulting 'The Answer,' who dwells within me.

    In a way it turns into bible worship. The bible becomes your immediate resource for dependence, rather than God Himself. Only He can reveal what we hope to obstract from reading the bible.

    Thank you Steve for what you have done through your ministry. This blog, Grace Walk, Sunday Preaching and 101 Lies have helped me focus on the good news about what God has done through Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've often heard the Bible referred to as "the instruction manual for life." Here's the problem with that: How often do you read the instruction manuals for your appliances? Do you take them out and read them hungrily? For pure enjoyment? Just because you LOVE them? (If you do, I suggest you get yourself to a counselor ASAP!)

    I'm sorry but I find instruction manuals BORing! Definitely NOT my preferred choice of reading materials.

    What a sad, sad way to refer to (and view) our love letter from God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stand it when someone "throws the Book" at someone. It's like hurling rules and regulations rather than showing the Love of Christ. Thank you, Steve, for clarifying this and reminding me not to read the bible for the sake knowledge alone, rather for getting to know my Savior better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, dear brother. People of the book have become followers of Bible Deism, based on their own interpretations. The indwelling Christ manifests through us and the fruit is of His Spirit. It's His Spirit that guides us into all truth...Truth is the person of Christ. Not an interpretation of scripture. I read my Bible, I enjoy studying it and infact going directly to the Hebrew and Greek gives me further clarity about Christ and what He has done for mankind. But I don't worship the interpretations..I worship Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a recovering pharisee, I thank you for this excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog & great comments!!
    Steve I always enjoy how GRACE-iously you "bring it". That sweet velvet hammer of truth smashing lies to smithereens. Master bless you, Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great thought... it is not diminishing the bible to actually say it is not part of the Trinity!

    Great post Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how for many years in "knowing the scriptures" one day the Word began to breath upon them for me, I'm sure not much differently than He did with our brother Paul knowing the Torah without knowing the Word himself, Christ!

    In the beginning was the Word, not the scriptures :) I love knowing the scriptures only as the Word speaks to me making letter bound words suddenly spring to life..hey, where did that oasis come from in this desert?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:26 AM

    Good Point sir....Excellent reasearch....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Walking the walk and talking the talk is analgous to riding a horse, you can know all the principles, watch people ride, know you can do it, understand it but the real test is getting on the horse, then everything changes. There is an art to it, becoming one with the horse, feeling every move, twitch, watching the ears, moving as one with the horse; same goes for knowing the Father, we become one with Him, His Son is inside us, we are one in spirit and mind, we become more like spirits then flesh-humans, when that is accomplished then we really know Him and really wlak with im all the time. You cannot learn that is a book or by studying a book-The Bible, or have someone explain it, you must live it, walk it out and that is what God wants for all of us. He loves us that much. SIMPLE, yet seems so distant and far away when it is right here inside us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can't know God today apart from His word. The Pharasees thought they were righteous by knowing His word but they didn't BELIEVE it! God's word is a living and breathing entity that we gain knowledge and that knowledge works through us that BELIEVE! And it's not just about believing the Bible but believing where you are today in it. You are not Israel under the law but a member of the body of Christ. People steal Irael's identity and try to live as they were told to live.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From one recovering pharisee to another :

    I recommend a good book that came out called '12 steps for a Recovering Pharisee' in 2000 by John Fischer....

    Good thread and great comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lov u Steve...thanks for spreading Freedom and Light!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Steve. I agree with you. In fact I have not yet found anything that I don't agree with, but, it still feels scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jesus our John 1:1-4 Word said, "blessed is he who is not offended because Me." The Bible certainly can be a barrier.

    ReplyDelete