Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Kind of Mood Is God In Today?

I used to think that God's mood toward me depended on how I was behaving at the time. If I was doing my daily Bible reading, that helped put Him in a good mood. If I was praying like I should, that would help. If I led somebody to faith in Christ, that was sure to put a big smile on His face.

My perspective has radically changed over the years. Today I don't believe that God's mood has one thing to do with my behavior. His disposition toward us has to do with how good He is, not how good we are in our actions.

How do we know He's in a good mood? We can know that because of Jesus. In the incarnation of Christ, God can be seen running out of heaven toward man with a big smile on His face. In fact, the birth of Jesus was surrounded with jubilant celebration in the heavenly realm.

One angel, shouting with enthusiasm above the others, was heard to say, “I bring you good news of great joy, which shall come to all people” (Luke 2:10, emphasis added)! Good news of great joy – that sounds like a reason for a party! Jesus came into this world with a joyful heart. He gulped life down on earth by the gallon. Consequently, those with a hunger to live to the fullest were drawn to Him.

It is noteworthy that His first miracle was performed at a party. (See John 2:1-11) One of the last things He told His disciples before leaving this world was that He wanted them to continue to be full of the joy they had seen in Him. (See John 15:11) Jesus was a fun-loving person.

If your mental picture of Him is that He was a religious sourpuss, you had better take another look. The people who were attracted to Him were dishonest businessmen, vulgar sailors, prostitutes, and the like – none of which you could exactly call “churchy people.” His opponents, on the other hand, came from a hyper-religious crowd who couldn’t crack a smile if their lives depended on it.

This uptight, hyper-religious crowd once even challenged Him about his lifestyle. Jesus answered them, For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, “He has a demon!” The Son of Man has come eating and drinking and you say, “Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners” (Luke 7:33-34)!

You just can’t please the Pharisaical hyper-religious crowd who love rules more than people. Even Jesus couldn’t! Of course we know that Jesus wasn’t a glutton and a drunkard, but the point to be understood here is that He obviously wasn’t so tightly wound that He didn’t enjoy life. He came into this world in the midst of celebration, lived a life filled with joy and on the last night of His life here challenged the disciples to hold on to that same joy.

Since Jesus said that He and His Father are one, we can understand much about the Father by looking at Jesus. Judging from Him, our God isn’t a cranky old Deity who doesn’t enjoy laughter and joy. To the contrary, He is its ultimate source. In fact, every trace of pleasure you have ever know finds it’s original roots in Him.

In his book, Orthodoxy, G. K. Chesterton explains that it was his examination of pleasure in the world which brought him from atheism to Christ. He asserts that the thin veneer of secular materialism he saw in the world offered no satisfying answer for the hope and wonder that exists all around us.

In his thinking, only a romantic world effused with mystery and awe – like the story of Robinson Crusoe saving goods from his shipwreck – could account for our sense of gratitude and delight in the world. In Chesterton’s thinking, the ordinary blessings of life intimate a mysterious world: “I felt in my bones; first, that this world does not explain itself . . . There was something personal in the world, as in a work of art. I thought this purpose beautiful in its old design.”

For Chesterton, who was not looking to defend Christian orthodoxy,only Christianity provides a cogent explanation for the existence of pleasure in the world. In his experience and ours, pleasures are Edenic remnants, bits of paradise washed ashore from our ancestral shipwreck.

All pleasure can be ultimately traced to God as its source. A glass of milk that soured because it sat on the counter for three days is no less milk than the milk still in the refrigerator. Both find their origin in the same source, but one has been spoiled by corruption. So it is with the pleasures of life. Even sinful pleasures are the futile attempt of a blind man reaching out for what only God can provide. Our heavenly Father is the personification of pleasure. Anything else is sour milk.

10 comments:

  1. WOW! That was some post. You would not believe how much I needed it today.

    I was spending time with God today and talking about some of these same things with Him. Funny how many different ways He answers our prayers.

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAD to show this post to my sister because we recently attended a Young Adults Service where the Pastor was all FIRE AND BRIMSTONE and claimed that if we were tolerant of other peoples beliefs and values then we were sinners because Jesus was the most critical, Judgmental, intolerant person ever. My sister...a believer but not a follower, was MAD and scared and upset in all sense of the word. But God allowed me platforms such as the Service and this Blog and your Sunday Preaches to help her to understand that Jesus and God are GOOD and LOVING and Kind and caring and amazing in every way! Thank you Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That preacher needs to read his Bible. The only people Jesus seemed to be intolerant of to me were those who talked like that preacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I wrote about joy myself yesterday. I lost my husband June 5th. I could sink into a pity-party, poor me, or I could rejoice and joy in that he has gone before, with a quick and painless death, with the added knowledge that God knows what He is doing with me ... He will set me on High Places even yet.

    My husband and I felt that God was a God of joy, and found the oh woe is me of many in the church hard to understand. We see through a glass darkly ... oh that our eyes might be open to see more clearly who He is and who we are in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and pray you'll continue to experience His miraculous peace as you adjust to your husband's absence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Savior was great with children. He was full of springing up joy though also a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief that loved consuming 'gallon size' drinks of life. I'd be glad to trust someone like that Who had a triumph over me-ology that I sometimes have trouble living unselfishly by. He overcame the world with a mighty triumph over sin and said, "be of good cheer." When He engaged somebody they were much better off for it in an amazingly changeful edified way. God is approvingly looking at me because of Jesus. When I think He's changed His Mood I have moved and need to realize who I am under His smile adjustingly. With Jesus's Mood of Faithful Generosity and measured discipline toward spreading God's joy to others I can abandon myself to devoted giving ministry. By His Death and Resurrection and Exaltation to God the Father's right hand is this possible. The Holy Spirit is a Comforter (Greek allos: like Himself) sent in His place and moving in my heart. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve
    A great post! Thanks for unpacking Father, Son and Holy Spirit out of our own box of illusions. I had tears come into my eyes and shivers down my back as I listened to your Part 7 “Sunday Preaching”. Having walked a similar walk as you, I know that this will speak to all human beings, especially those who have not heard for He is not absent from anyone of us and this truth will resonate from deep within and expose the freedom that we already have.

    How can we even know this truth if it isn't already there! How can we know love, faith, joy, peace, longsuffering etc if it isn't already there! John

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! Posting on FB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to see that you grew up with such a distorted picture of God, Mr. McVey. How crazy it would be if God would flux with the behavior of billions of humans around the world.
    God is an independent, self-existent being and not a creation of our own design.

    Yet, He is a being and He is in relationship with His people. As such, my behavior does affect Him. Obedience brings Him joy (John 15:10-11); disobedience grieves Him (Eph. 4:30).

    So your blog is a great reminder that God is a God of joy and pleasure, but to say that our behavior has no affect on Him denies our relationship with Him and the teaching of Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Timbo - perhaps you misunderstood. I didn't suggest that our behavior has no effect on Him. He is saddened to see us sin, not because we've been "disobedient" but because He knows what sin will do to us. That's why obedience is important. What I wanted to communicate here is that His attitude toward us doesn't change due to our behavior. Most people who grew up in church learned that our Bible reading, prayer, church attendance, giving, purity, etc. etc. affect how He feels at any given moment. That was the idea I wanted to refute.

    ReplyDelete