Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Musings of A Middle-Aged Man

I almost always find myself becoming introspective around my birthday every year. I'm not melancholic at all nor one normally prone to philosophical mental meanderings, but at least once a year I find myself reflecting on the core issues of life and asking myself if my lifestyle is an authentic and honest expression of those things I value most.

Maybe it's just my personality, but I want to live with intentionality. I don't want to just do the next thing that comes, then the next thing and then the next, until one day I lie down and die. I'm not an old man, but I'm certainly not a young man any more either. If I live to the age my Dad did, I have 20 more years here. I want them to count. I'm hardly old enough to be a wise old sage. I have no doubt that I still have a lot to learn, but there are a few things that have become clear to me with the passing years.

1. We never move past problems in life.
I used to think that the day would come that life would settle down and there wouldn't be so many troubles in life. Back then, it was the pressures of rearing young children, trying to figure out how to pay the bills, dealing with worn out cars, broken refrigerators, washer and dryer, etc. I thought that once my kids grew up and I came to a place where I earned an income sufficient to pay the bills, life would be great. Little did I know that in life, it's the case that as one set of challenges fade away, others rise on the horizon. If we're looking for calm circumstances in order to find peace of mind, we're in for a big disappointment in life because for most people it just isn't going to happen. "Man is born for trouble like sparks fly upward," Job said.

I've had people more than once suggest that Melanie and I live "an exotic lifestyle." I understand why they'd say that. What they're referring to is the travel we've done all over the world, the books, regular appearances on TV, radio, etc. etc. etc. I'm as amazed as anybody could be by the things our Father has allowed us to experience. If I died today, I feel like I've lived a more full life than many people live in a hundred years. I'm thankful for that.

But surface appearances aren't always the whole story. Like everybody else, we have had and still have our share of heavy burdens. Even as I write this blog, I am facing several circumstances that are absolutely terrifying - life threatening or life altering situations with people I love. The kind of things that make you lie awake at night and pray.

So, one thing I see clearly is that there will always be troubles in life, but the next clear reality is what sustains me.

2. Our Father is faithful.

A long time ago I settled on the reality that our God can be trusted. That certainty is big in my life. There have been times I would have despaired completely had it not been for that knowledge. Standing in the darkness is not a good time to formulate your theology. You need to do that in the light. That way, when the darkness comes we can hold onto what we know despite the fact that everything around us is screaming messages to the contrary.

God is good. Do you really believe that? Once we settle on that fact, everything else becomes manageable. That doesn't mean it will never hurt, but no matter how hard a situation may be, it's manageable if we can cling to His goodness.

3. It's all about Love.
For a long time, I thought life was all about right and wrong. "Do right and teach others to do right." That was my aim. It was the template through which I reared my children, through which I taught my congregation, through which I evaluated myself and others. But I was wrong - seriously wrong. To live that way is to live from "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

Life isn't about right behavior. Life is about loving relationships. We came into being out of a loving relationship among the members of the Trinity and we exist for loving relationships with Him and with each other.

By God's grace, I'm done with judging people. I've learned I can't even change me, let alone somebody else. I want to just love people, no matter who they are, how they live, what they believe or anything else that used to separate me from others created and loved by our Father. Their behavior isn't my business. That's up to God. Loving them is my business.

Jesus came to show us the Father's love. If He thought it worthy to spend His life doing that very thing, then I assume there's no higher use of my life than to do the same. I still find myself looking at people through the condescending eyes of judgment sometimes, but I'm asking my Father to free me from that and I'm seeing progress.

I want to love my family with agape love. I want to love my friends that way. I want to love strangers that way. I even want to love those who see me as the enemy that way. It's a God-sized goal and only He can make it happen in me, but I'm trusting that He will do that very thing.

4. I want to be real.

By that, I mean that I want to live in a way that people see the real me. It's very easy for people in public ministry to take on the persona that other people unconsciously put on them. It's not uncommon for authors, pastors, or anybody who is watched by the public eye to project an "artificial" image of themselves. I don't want to do that. I've had people accuse me of doing that a few times and it hurt deeply to think that there might be truth in their criticism. (It isn't necessary for you to respond by reassuring me that it isn't true :) Many have also told me just the opposite of that criticism.)

I want to live in a way that people know that this grace walk isn't just for those who "have their ducks in a row." Sometimes I can't even find my ducks. The other extreme from those who appear to be artificial are those who seem to have no filter. I see some people in ministry these days who look like "emotional exhibitionists." They seem to think there's value in putting themselves down, speaking of themselves in an almost contemptuous way. I don't think that's right either. After all, we are "His workmanship created in Christ Jesus." I can't imagine that our Father appreciates it when we talk about ourselves like we're a piece of trash.

That's it. One man's thoughts on life as he looks inwardly. What have you learned? How do you want to live your life? What are the core values you want to express in the days you have left? Call me sappy, but I think these are questions we would all do well to consider.

How about those of you in your seventies and older? What are the things you've learned that weren't so clear early in life? The rest of us would like to hear your thoughts in the comments section either here on the blog or the comments section in the link to this blog on FaceBook.

10 comments:

  1. I've been required to learn to love the hard way many times in my life. After reading what AB Simpson had to say about Loving I realized I wasn't the loving person I had thought I was. Failing to love adequately in my own strength so often, I now just want Him to love through me. When exhausted from cancer treatment and all alone I'd practice loving the people on the TV screen and asking God to show me how He saw them. I'm 67 and have learned He can love through your finger tips, your words, your eyes, your prayers. You learn loving when you visit with seniors, even those with dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Thanks for posting this today - I really enjoyed reading it and getting to Pass it on to people I love. KH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve
    I think these are questions that we all have whether we want to admit it or not. We are all distinct and unique human beings in Jesus in different seasons of life. For myself just over 60 I have found the last 5 years one of having my thinking radically altered from one who judges others including myself based on the moral standards of right and wrong to one who accepts all people as included in Jesus. Has this renovation been easy? No! When is changing your mind ever easy, especially when those with whom you had fellowship start to question your theology.
    However have an inner strength that has a grip on me that allows for peace and love to flow to others. Does that mean I have it all figured out? Well, just ask my wife and you will come to know that I see dimly and stumble and fall, however cannot and have no desire to shake loose from my Trinitarian foundation.
    So my walk has taken me from Dutch Reformed to Herbert Armstrong (ism) to Exchanged life and now into Trinitarian teaching. Has all my past been thrown out? Of course not, Jesus takes all things and works them for good.
    I have and continue to learn along the way, having my mind opened and renewed to truth so that I may experience His life. He is not absent from anyone of us no matter where we find ourselves in our belief. However, as He continues to wake us up we have choices to trust in Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    So how about the future? Now is the future!

    What is the greatest change for me? His faith and love has judged all humanity to be new creations in Jesus, nothing to do with right or wrong, but all are judged in right standing! This is Good News! Will we trust and believe it! John

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome awesome awesome!! thank you, very encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ask,Seek,Knock" - i think when Jesus said ''You must be born again" he was not issuing a challenge but stating a fact. The point of the concept of 'born again' is a very important thing - How many of us had a say in our parents making us ? ...None. Likewise, being born again is solely by the Holy Spirit. Again another passage that's really all about grace!
    Jesus was pointing Nicodemus towards the realization that Niceodemus is totally reliant on God to save him, not his own efforts. In our individualistic western world we have sadly understood passages like this as a challenge to work at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ¡Feliz cumpleaƱos, Steve!

    May the Lord grant you and Melanie many more grace-filled years of strong health and fruitfulness.

    We are being deeply blessed and transformed through your obedience to this call on your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:20 AM

    "If we're looking for calm circumstances in order to find peace of mind, we're in for a big disappointment in life because for most people it just isn't going to happen."

    Steve, thank you so much for this post especially the part about not moving past problems in life. I read this shortly after my wife gave birth to our second daughter and I was literally sitting there worrying about our finances, my job, etc. in light of our growing family.

    I'm realizing that so much of my happiness and peace is dependent upon my circumstances and I often feel like once I get through these problems we're experiencing then everything will get better. If I could just get that raise, get that new apartment, get the cars fixed, get that education....I realize that this even affects my ability to see God because I have a hard time seeing him with me in the midst of the stress- unfortunately so much of my life is spent worrying and trying to "figure everything out". I often feel like I'm hiking up a mountain expecting things to get better once I reach the top but every time I reach the top there's another mountain to hike up.

    I long to live free, especially in my relationship with my family and with God, and I'm beginning to learn that these problems will never go away. Now I just need to learn how to live free in the midst of my troubles. Anyways, I'm totally rambling, but I really felt like this post was a gift to me from Father at a time when I really needed to hear these words.

    Thank you very much! You're blog is such a blessing to me and my wife. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Word Steve. For me keeping it real is coming to grips with the fact that often we equate what we believe with what we acknowledge intellectually as true when what we really believe comes from what is in our heart. I am coming to understand that over 90% (or more) of what I "believe" and was taught doesn’t work in my life because it is not part of my heart belief system.
    In our western culture we assume when we hear something and acknowledge it that we believe it, but biblical faith precedes understanding, it is through faith (the persuasion of our heart) that we understand. For many years I operated at this superficial level and like many Christians I couldn’t understand why all this knowledge (or belief as I falsely labeled it) was not working for me.
    It is so important that our hearts be established in grace; because this is the only way we will come to recognize our freedom from all performance and attainment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve you're right that we never move past problems in life. I agree. Any description of the Gospel in any sense should state this or imply this. Having been in mid-life since 34 I know firsthand how miserable a life of complaint without lightness of some kind from God's nurture can become being 52 now. Being thankful and grateful to our Creator is such a priviledge! and responsibility! In Christ we have solutions. Without Him 'life is futile' against the borg. The joy of the Lord is our strenth! :-)

    ReplyDelete