Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

In Memory of my Mother


My mother went to heaven in October, 2004. If she were with us today, this would be her 80th birthday. I find myself feeling bitter-sweet as I reminisce about her life today. I feel nostalgic and sad about her absence but feel a sweet comfort in thinking of her and the person she was.

It's interesting to note the things that remain foremost in our minds after a person has left this world. I remember my Mom's sincere love for Christ. She regularly assured me of the fact that our Father is in control and encouraged my faith toward him all my life.

I learned how to show affection from my Mom. I never grew too old that when I sat down beside her she would reach out to hold my hand. She hugged and patted those she loved. I remember as a small child that she sang songs to me, the first I remember being, "Catch a Falling Star" by Perry Como. She would reach out and pretend to be catching the star and then pretend to put it in my pocket. My mother was a whistler. I remember her whistling tunes as she cleaned house when I was a small child.

She was a Sunday School teacher when she was younger and able to attend church, something she couldn't do anymore as the years passed and her health continued to deteriorate. She taught the young married couples at church and loved it.

I remember her reading the Bible and praying when my Dad as in Viet-nam. She never learned to drive so it was quite a challenge for her to have him across the world while she was back home with two young children.

I think of the many discussions I had with her about grace. She struggled with what I teach because of the influence of her own church background during the time she grew up. I still have negative feelings toward that denomination because of what I saw it did to my mother's sense of confidence over the Father's unconditional acceptance of her, independent of what she had done or not done in life.

One of the funniest moments I remember happened shortly before she died. She said to me, "The lady who cleans my house was over this past week. She's having such a hard time." My mother then began to tell me about the lady's troubles and about what she (my mother) had told the house cleaner to encourage her.

"I told her what you wrote in your book about . . ." My mother proceeded to explain to me how she had shared unconditional acceptance and pure grace with the woman. Then she paused, looked at me and said, "And I don't even believe that stuff!" I started laughing.

"Then why did you tell her all that, Mom?" I asked.
"I don't know," she said as she laughed too.
"I'll tell you why you told her that, Mom," I said. "It's because you do believe it! In your heart you know it's true, but you just can't get your (church denominational background) head around it!"
"You think so?" she said.
"I know so!" I answered.

My Mom went to heaven with confidence that she was a Christian but with hopes that there wouldn't be answering to do about her shortcomings. I like to imagine what it must have been like when her Father embraced her and never mentioned anything about shortcomings in this life.

I miss my mother today, but live in the confident assurance that one day I'll again sit by her side and she will pat me on the leg, then hold my hand, and maybe even sing a Perry Como song to me.

5 comments:

  1. Your Mother reminds me of mine, Steve. She is a Divinely enabled gentle mighty Pentecostal but so very accepting in her own circle of friends of everyone she knows. She is the pianist in our church and before in other's for over 70 years, now 89 and still going strong for Jesus. She knew people from the early days of the Assembly Of God Denomination but I know her as one of the most gifted melodious female's of the species I have ever known to be an anointed singer's voice of the Gospel hymns and choruses (she knows them all :).) She can quilt and crochet with the best of them but I know her as the one who soothed my hurt when I was needing it at her lap growing as a child in Dad's and her's home. I had learned to 'suffer' for Jesus in doing right in school and I had my share of bullies I needed soothing from. Whew! Grace in the Person of Jesus was taught me from her knee when I was four and went forward to an altar in church to come as I was, lost, a sinner, to Jesus my Savior! She has been like a Divine teacher and shock absorber in my life but most of all a servant of God whom has and will indelibly imprint on my mind the faith of a disciple of Jesus that would protect her brood until the death of her young by fire and even when fire was on every side she believed Psalm 91, "...He/She shall abide under the Shadow of the ALMIGHTY." May God give us more Eunice's and Lois's as in the Word, in our respective denominations! And I will visit my Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet Steve...my own mom went to be with Jesus 2 years after yours...they had some things in common, I remember my mom singing to me and my sister too, songs like You are My Sunshine, How much is the Doggie in the Window, and others I can't think of now. She also never learned to drive and was a sunday school teacher....but my mother is the one who first instilled the grace message in me but it had limits. Much later did I learn THE REST OR THE GOSPEL . She didn't agree with all, but did with most of what I was able to discuss with her. I miss her, but know that I will see her again and am happy that she is deliriously happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve! You draw such a beautiful picture of your mother. The last paragraphs moistened my eyes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story of a beautiful person. My Dad (unsaved) is terminal with cancer and my Mom, who professed faith a number of years ago is in the moderate stages of Alzheimer's. I really need a revelation of God's unconditional love for me in Christ so I can share with what I really know and believe. Like your Mother, somewhere deep down I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Steve, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when you told me about your mom's home going. I can't believe that it has been that long. I would have love to have known her.

    ReplyDelete