Search This Blog

Monday, February 08, 2010

Getting Our Minds Right

The fifth chapter of John tells the story of an afflicted man whom Jesus encountered. This particular man had been paralyzed for thirty-eight years. As he lay by the Pool of Bethesda, he watched other people see their dreams come true. Every now and then, an angel would come and stir the water in the pool. Immediately afterwards, the first one who got into the pool would be healed of whatever problem he had.

One day Jesus came to that pool and saw the man lying there. “ Do you want to get well?” Jesus asked him. “I can’t get into the water and nobody will help me,” the man answered. Jesus said to the man, “Get up, take your mattress and walk.” Immediately the man did what Christ said. He simply got up and walked away. (See John 5:1-9)

Before the paralyzed man was healed, he had to come face to face with a question that almost seems bizarre on the surface. “Do you want to get well?” Jesus asked him. “Do I want to get well?!?” the man might have asked. “What kind of question is that? Of course I want to get well!”

That’s not what he said. Instead he began to explain why being well was outside the realm of possibility for him. Somewhere along the way, his dream of ever walking again had died. Jesus, however, is in the business of resurrecting things that have died. With loving compassion, He simply said to the man, “Get up.” Inherent in His word was both the motivation and the ability for the man to finally do what his heart had yearned to do for years – to walk.

What dreams lie dormant inside your heart that were once alive and vibrant? It is important for you to realize that those dreams may be the voice of God’s will within you nudging you toward rising up and fulfilling His plan for your life. What would you do if Jesus said to you today, “Get up and do it”? How long have you watched other people’s dreams come true while you lay on the sidelines?

Abby FitzPatrick is one of my heroes. The thing you may find surprising is that she is only eleven years old. Abby has a rare disease called Mitochondrial Disease. Mitochondria are powerhouse of each cell and are responsible for converting substances from the foods we eat into energy for essential cell functions and the cell functions in turn run all of the organs and systems in our bodies. The process of converting food into that energy requires hundreds of chemical reactions, and every one of them has to run almost perfectly in order to have a continuous supply of energy. When one or more components of these chemical reactions don’t run perfectly, there is an energy crisis, and the cells can’t function normally. As a result, there is not enough cellular energy to run the essential systems in the body - such as the heart, liver, kidneys, digestive tract, muscle and brain. It is a serious disease, to say the least.

Abby is an amazing girl, animated by divine power. She is in the Beta Club. As her energy allows, she swims and runs and plays like all eleven-year-old girls. This year she was on the volleyball team at the local YMCA. She knows how serious her health problem is, but has decided to live every day to the fullest degree possible.

Sometimes when I’m dealing with the routine frustrations of life, I think about Abby. I wonder what kind of day she has had. I’m reminded of how she handles the hard days and I think to myself, “Life is too short to sit on the sidelines. If Abby can run the race with gusto, despite her challenges, I have no excuses.” So I shake off my petty attitude and determine to move ahead with faith and hope.

Are there any good excuses you have for not running the race with gusto? You’ve had some debilitating things happen in life? Okay, so what are you going to do now? You may think your situation is “sick,” but you have divine life pulsating through you. It’s who you are. Don’t let yourself get bogged down by your circumstances. They don’t define you. Your Creator has defined who you are and He says that you have been created as somebody who is filled with divine potential.

Maybe you’ve been set on the sideline, seemingly handicapped by life’s circumstances. Here’s the question you must answer: Do you want to be well? Some people don’t. To be well means they would have all their excuses taken away from them. They wouldn’t be able to blame their circumstances anymore. They could no longer say that other people were at fault.

To be well, they would have to assume full responsibility for rising up and stepping out in faith to do God’s will. It would be them and Jesus. They couldn’t play the role of a victim anymore. No more excuses. No more delays. Do you want to be well?

You can be well. God’s will is most definitely for you to know and believe this fact – It’s your turn! Your day has come! Jesus is speaking to you right now. Deep inside you something is stirring. It is a hope that all this might be true. Well, it is.
Your day has come because God is faithful to His promises. “Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!” wrote the hymn-writer. If you will believe in your Father’s goodness and in His desire to lead you into fulfilling His will, your life can change. Will you appropriate the ability to fulfill God’s will for your life because of what Jesus has done?

Maybe something inside you needs to change if your are going to “rise up and walk.” The longer you have laid on the sidelines and meditated on your own pitiful condition while others walked onward, the more necessary it is for you to change the way you think. You must reset your “internal thermostat” in order to believe and receive what your generous Father has in store for you. Sometimes you need to retrieve what you know to be true. Do you want to realize the wonderful potential that God has planned for you? He will enable you to get up and go.

(This article is an excerpt from my book, Walking in the Will of God)

6 comments:

  1. i just want to say that i listened to you on a CD (i don't remember which one) about this same thing about "do you want to be well? i imagined Jesus asking me, "do you want to get well?" and i told Him "yes, i want to get well." My big problem was even though i am 63 years old (believe it or not!) i never wanted to be mature or grow up. I wanted to be a baby all my life and let others make decisions for me. I didn't want to be responsible for myself. I even was in a state hospital for awhile because i regressed from a 21 year old to a 5 year old due to emotional and social problems. I craved love so badly that i almost physically clung to anyone who showed me any kind of love toward me - (even a quick smile toward me would cause me to have a heavy crush on that person). Anyway,that day when i told Jesus i wanted to get well i really wasn't sure i would be very happy being a grown up and maybe i would be abandoned and wouldn't be loved by anyone. Fantacizing of being loved as a baby was my security blanket.
    I surrendered my life to Him that day giving Him full reigns of my life. (i got saved in 1984). After about 5 months of saying "i trust You, Jesus" and "i cling to you Jesus" and reading certain scriptures on how much God loves and reading your books and praying i started experiencing His amazing love for me little by little. And then later on it seemed like i had a tiny little inkling of a desire to want to grow up. It is February 2010 and i am now convinced Jesus loves me and i am showing signs of maturity for the very first time in my entire life. I'm also discovering and convinced more and more who i really am in Christ and that Christ's life lives in me. I am full of joy. And, again, it all started when i told God i want to get well about 5 months ago. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently posted "Getting Our Minds Right" to my Facebook page, knowing that some of my fellow mitochondrial patient friends might object to, and have an aversion to, anything "religious"

    Here is the comment that I received from a single mom whose son was just formally diagnosed with 'mito' yesterday. The mom also has mito.

    This is a comment on your article, I thought you should be aware of it's effect on someone. Thanks for sharing what you wrote. Here's the comment:

    "This MADE my day ---, especially since ---- was diagnosed today. It is my faith that has gotten me through everything and I believe He has carried me more than half of the way over the past year and a half. Thank you again my friend. -"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, Ken. It's always encouraging to see the winding roads the Father travels to show His love to people, especially when they're hurting. Thanks for passing that information along to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, Yours is an amazing store of the healing, redemptive work of the Father's grace! I am so very thankful to Him for how He has worked and keeps working in your life! What an exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, remember the message I sent to you on Facebook the other day? You could not have known this when you wrote this blog article, but that very day was the day the matter I referred to became "official" for me. You wrote this blog just a few short hours before that transpired and became evident for me. And EVERYTHING you wrote in here was exactly what I needed to hear about that situation.

    Since this is excerpted from one of your books which you clearly wrote even earlier, would you indulge me by sharing what, if you remember, prompted you to post this selection on that morning? I'm just curious ... whatever the case may be I think God intended me to link this blog entry with my upcoming "Out of Ur" exodus. Dunno how you feel but I tend to think there are no "purely" coincidences...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Moriah. No coincidences. My motivation to post it was nothing more than the fact that this section caught my eye that morning when I was about to post something on my blog. It's great, though, how our Father can turn the mundane into the miraculous in order to fulfill His plan. I'm praying for you, my sister. He really does have it all under control and will guide your steps. He didn't bring you this far to check out now.

    ReplyDelete