Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

When We Are In Deep Pain

When my son, David, was about three years old, he woke up one night crying in agony. Melanie and I rushed into his bedroom and could immediately tell that something was seriously wrong. We agreed that she would stay at home with the other children and I would take him to the hospital. When we arrived at the emergency room, the attending physician examined him. He turned to me and said, “I know your son’s problem. He has an intestinal blockage that must be cleared. Neither his bladder or bowels have emptied in a long time. For that reason, David is experiencing intense pain.” “What has to be done?”, I asked. “Two things,” the doctor answered. First, it will be necessary to catheterize him.” I shuddered at the thought. “Then, we must also administer a barium enema”, the doctor continued.

After assuring me that there were no other treatment options, I laid David down on the examining table. When the doctor began the procedure with the catheter, David started to come up off the table. “You’ll have to hold him down,” the doctor instructed. Leaning across the body of my three year old son, I placed my right arm over his left shoulder and my left arm over his right shoulder so that he couldn’t move. David began to cry, hysterically screaming, “Daddy, make him stop! Daddy, please! Make him stop! Make him stop!” Then there was that moment — sort of like suspended animation — one of those freeze frame moments that you never forget as long as you live. David stopped crying, looked deeply into my eyes, and with obvious terror and confusion asked, “Daddy, why won’t you make him stop?”

How do you explain a catheter to a three year old? How can his young mind understand a valid reason for such pain? I couldn’t answer because he couldn’t understand even if I did. I began to cry too. I laid myself down across him, and hugged him close to me and to the table. “It’s okay son. Daddy’s here with you. You must trust me, David. This is necessary. It’s for your good. I’ll hold you until it’s over.”

I can remember times in my own life when I have cried out to my heavenly Father, “Make it stop! Make it stop! Why won’t you make it stop?” Have you been there? Maybe you are at that place in life right now. Circumstances may not make sense. It may seem that God has abandoned you, but He hasn’t. He may be holding you on the table so that you can’t get up, but He is hugging you! He takes no pleasure in your pain, yet He loves you enough that if it takes pain to bring to you the place where He can accomplish His purpose for your good, He will allow it and keep you in it as long as necessary. Be assured that He won’t keep you on the table a minute longer than necessary. In the meantime, know He is hugging you and loves you dearly.

14 comments:

  1. Something rings true when I read your analogy here. I am always searching in God's Word for truth that supports this thinking. Could you share what passages or stories from God's Word that supports this analogy? I really want to know if God allows or does...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sateena - here are a few:
    2 Cor 1:8-9 shows that the Lord allowed burdens to come to Paul that were greater than he could bear so that he would learn to trust in God's strength and not his own.

    1 Peter 1:6-8 shows that as we trust Him while we are tested through trials, it will result in glory to Him.

    Hebrews 4:15 shows He is touched by our pain.

    The book of Job shows that Satan couldn't touch Job without permission from God first.

    These are a few.... are there other readers who would be willing to share a few more with Sateena?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 Cor 10:13 comes to mind. God will not allow testings beyond what we can bear, but will always make a way of escape.

    Rom 8:28-39 All things work together for good to His beloved children... in all these things (suffering, persecution, etc) we are more than conquerors through Christ who loved us.

    God hates pain and He will surely bring us through times of pain. (Acts 10:38 and 2 Cor 2:14) Thanks for sharing this heartfelt article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how far does this analogy go? Does God ever have a purpose in -- say for example -- allowing someone to be inhabited by demons for 26 years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moriah - I'll answer your question with a question: Does God have a purpose in allowing a demon to even exist ANYWHERE? Or Satan himself, for that matter. Could God not destroy them all at this very instant with one word if that's what He chose to do? So, back to the core question: Does God have a purpose in allowing Satan to exist and allowing his demons to trouble us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe God can allow demonic oppression to believers but never possession and if there is hope that person can be delivered if they pray. The silver needs a polish; the gold refining and it takes a fire; God calls us in a fiery furnace of affliction scripture says. God allows evil to triumph temporarily that good may come but in His time and control. Like a black velvet fabric material casts a brilliance to any diamond next to it so. Consider Job that God told satan only so far and with God's permission he could effect Job's life. Even Jesus said a blind man's healing was not for any reason but for the glory of God. And he was born blind even.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesus constantly said gather all fragments that nothing be lost. God is not willing that any perish but all to come to repentance. It probably takes a negative demonic satanic realm to be vanquished to properly bring back the image and likeness of God to redeemed man and to properly glorify God too. The Gospel is an offense to the world so it ain't easy nor was the price for our redemption cheap. In eternity we'll see the question answered to our fullest satisfaction as to why God allowed bad things to happen to good people and to occur through our natures as well. God is good above all our highest awareness and knowing sensibilties Romans 8:28.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesus also gave us authority over every evil thing. I think we are not to be passive and accept all bad things as being from God - there are times to rebuke the devil, and yes, cast out demons. Didn't Jesus? And didn't He tell us to do the same? Did He see people suffering from sickness and demonic attack and say, put up with it, it's from God and it's for your own good? And Job did not have that authority as he lived before the New Covenant came into existence so I don't think we can entirely parallel his experiences with ours.
    I can see Rom 8:28 applies of course, but I just think we need to apply some discernment in these circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of COURSE He has a purpose in allowing Them to exist. THAT, we already know. Maybe we should have phrased the question differently. You know about Paul's thorn in the flesh deal. Can something like that -- God basically saying "no, not going to fix this in this lifetime, trust My Love anyway" -- ever also apply to a situation like being inhabited, where instead of delivering you from Them God would just keep you there for certain purposes just like He didn't fix Paul's problem for certain purposes?

    Look it doesn't want to be a nuisance here. It saw your blog entry and thought maybe unlike others you'd have a grasp on complicated and painful things. If you don't want to have this conversation or can't answer our questions please just delete the comments and be done with it, no hard feelings and sorry to have bothered you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MCW - freedom is our birthright in Christ. The challenge I have answering your question is that I'm not sure where you're coming from. Do you think you're demonized? Are you asking a general question about demons? I don't mind responding to you at all but want to make sure I'm understanding your correctly.

    I do not believe it is our Father's desire to see anybody tormented by demons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made the decision not to post comments from people who don't identify themselves but use only a pseudonym. Engaging dialogue and debate with people who disagree with me is something I've never avoided but I'm not going to respond anymore to those whose boldness and rudeness come from the fact that they don't use their real names.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an Awesome man of God you are..

    ReplyDelete