Search This Blog

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Personal Situation

After hearing that his obituary had been posted in the New York Times, Mark Twain wrote: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Lately, to a lesser degree, I've faced a similar situation that has caused me to decide to post this blog. Calls have come in to my office inquiring about my "serious disease" and emails have been sent asking about my "collapse while teaching a conference," so it seemed to me that the best way to help dispel mistaken information is to go ahead and post here the facts about a health situation I'm facing right now.

First, let me thank those who have contacted me or my office to inquire about the situation. I know that everything that has been told or asked comes from loving concern on behalf of those involved and I am appreciative and touched by that concern. Having said that, here's what actually happened and where I am in the process right now.

About four weeks ago I was coming out of a store when I suddenly began to feel extremely fatigued and very lightheaded. It was intense enough that I thought I was about to pass out so I sat down on the sidewalk. Melanie was in the car across the parking lot but didn't see me. After a few moments, I got up and moved on to the car. Before I reached the car I felt the same sensation and had to sit down again. I was close enough to call out to Melanie and she rushed to me, helped me up and took me to the Emergency Room. I was fatigued and disoriented.

At the ER, they ruled out anything that was immediately life-threatening and released me. I saw my regular doctor a few days later and he referred me to a neurologist. I saw him a few days afterward and he wrote orders for an EEG and an MRI on my brain. That will take place this Monday (the 14th) and hopefully will reveal the cause for these episodes. I say "these episodes" because I've experienced similar incidents numerous times since the first time.

Thanks to those who have asked about me. At this point, there is no reason for me to think it's anything serious. I've told Melanie that my brain has grown so much in the past few years that it's having trouble fitting inside my skull. For some reason, she's not buying that explanation :) Seriously, I'm not worried but of course do want to know what the cause is and what needs to be done to remedy it.

Thanks for your prayers. I wouldn't normally put something like this in a blog, but thought that considering how well-meaning, but misinformed information has been circulating, it would be best to go ahead and set the record straight by sharing with you what is going on. I'll let you know how things unfold through this blog.

9 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you were going through anything like this. I'll be praying for you! Thanks again for writing your book Grace Walk. I seriously dug into it this past summer and thought "really?!?!?? can it be just like this?"

    But considering your ailment, I've experienced sensations like that before when I was dehydrated. After 3 glasses of water I was ok. It might not be that simple, but just saying just in case. Hang in there brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Steve. I've had fatigue and even pangs of it before but I pray it's nothing serious. God be with you. May your faith hold because it's in our wonderful Lord Who is the God of grace and all comfort II Cor 1:2-10!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, Wayne and I are praying for you and trust it's somthing that can easily be taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our prayers are with you , Steve. We'll add you to our prayer list so our inmates can pray as well.


    Blessings,
    Chaplains Paul and Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand, Steve. I have recently been going through newer symptoms (shortness of breath)...I was grocery shopping with my nine year old and had to stop in the middle of the store and grab a shelf to catch my breath for a while. I have a vascular/heart condition. So I had to go through the littany(?) of tests for heart, etc. Sor far just a new prescription and I have been feeling much better. Hopefully, you will have a simple answer and and nothing big to be concerned about. That is my hope and prayer. I love you, Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One possible cause for those symptoms that would be good to rule out is any heart/ circulatory issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May you apprehend Him as Jehovah Rapha in you, peace I speak unto you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greg Page from the Wiggles had something similar where he got dizzy spells from time to time. His condition was diagnosed as: Orthostatic intolerance.
    Here's a link for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_intolerance

    ReplyDelete