Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2007

Gaining 20/20 Vision


When I first began to understand the grace walk, I was a bundle of contradictions as far as my preaching was concerned. I had spoken from a legalistic viewpoint for so many years that I still found myself at times saying things that would cause me to later think, “That’s not right! I don’t see it that way anymore! Why did I say that?” (It’s sort of sad when a man disagrees with his own preaching! )

I had gotten “my grace eyes,” but I sure didn’t have 20/20 vision. I often grappled with grace, trying to sort out how it applied to various biblical topics. I also wrestled with how it fit many areas of my lifestyle. In other words, the initial revelation of the truth didn’t cause me to automatically understand all the fine details. (For that matter, I’m still learning.)

I find that the experience I had isn’t at all uncommon. As a person moves into a grace walk, he begins to see things differently, but not necessarily with perfect clarity. He finds himself still asking many yeah-but-what-about type questions. The revelation and ongoing learning of the grace walk also requires a lot of unlearning in order to see clearly. It reminds me of a man Jesus met. Mark 8 records the story:

22 When they arrived at Bethsaida, some people brought a blind man to Jesus, and they begged him to touch and heal the man. 23 Jesus took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village. Then, spitting on the man's eyes, he laid his hands on him and asked, "Can you see anything now?" 24 The man looked around. "Yes," he said, "I see people, but I can't see them very clearly. They look like trees walking around." 25 Then Jesus placed his hands over the man's eyes again. As the man stared intently, his sight was completely restored, and he could see everything clearly.

Note that when Jesus spit on the man’s eyes, he did begin to see, but he couldn’t see “very clearly.” When Jesus touched his eyes, he began to see everything clearly. There are many sincere pastors who are like that man, and like I was when I was a pastor first learning the message. They have embraced the truth of grace and identity, but sometimes still preach a mixed message. It will be grace this week and law next week.

A grace Pharisee might accuse these pastors of being sczophrenic, but they really should be shown grace by those who may be further along. When Apollos came to Ephesus to preach, he was a man who had a thorough education in the Scriptures. However, he did miss the mark on some things. A loving couple named Priscilla and Aquila invited him into their home and “explained to him the way of God more adequately” (Acts 18:24-26). They didn’t pounce him, but lovingly encouraged him in the truth.

The bottom line is we don’t have 20/20 vision when we first begin to see. This is even true with a small infant when he is born. Good vision comes over time. Be patient with those who are learning the message. Be patient with yourself too. Little by little, the Great Physician will continue to heal you, performing legalism Lasik on you until your focus through grace becomes crystal clear!

6 comments:

  1. Steve -

    Thanks for this reminder to be patient with others and with ourselves ...

    Blessings!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Incidentily I've been thinking about that account a great deal lately. Fascinating that you would bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve:
    Thanks so much for the truth and encouragement...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, God is always right on time. My son had a revelation about this verse and was sharing with me last night. I opened your newsletter today and there this article was, Praise God for his Grace! What makes it more interesting is I just got my new glasses about a month ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word, Steve!

    It's so easy to look at our maturing in Christ as a linear process -- one person closer than another -- when by that standard we are all steps apart and Jesus' dependence upon God in His earthly life is a million miles away!

    What a great joy to remember that we are each complete in Him immediately and only growing in our experience of His perfect grace over time! ...that our imperfect vision doesn't change His perfect provision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this. I finally gave into grace only a few days ago. I realized motivation by fear, guilt and self-discipline doesn't work. I can't even stay consistent in washing dishes, let alone keeping all Jesus' commands. I had been testing the waters of grace, but I feel like I just jumped in.

    ReplyDelete